Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing careers, but averse to doing personal tasks.

• 16-09-2020 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hello, I'm looking to change careers and have applied for a few roles in hospitals. My aim is to help people in some way, a hospital porter or radiology assistant I think would be rewarding.
    I have no relevant qualifications but was told that a Level 5 FETAC in Healthcare/Healthcare Assistance or similar would be a distinct advantage.

What puts me off is the work experience, I am very averse to doing any of the personal tasks like assisting washing, dressing or assisting with the loo etc. If I got work experience could I say I do not want to do this or would this look very bad? The roles I am interested in would not have any of this kind of work. Any advice would be great! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Even doing jobs like hospital porter or indeed any sort of hospital assistant work you will probably at times have somewhat personal interaction with patients. No, it really doesn't seem likely that you could do work experience without the areas you mention, what would you see yourself doing other than those things? You would not realistically even get through the course with those aversions.

There is nothing wrong with knowing your preferences in dealing with people, but it would help to know the reason for your aversion. Is it because you don't want to deal with people at all, or you don't want to do personal (ie possibly 'messy') jobs or what is the reason, especially given your desire to work in a hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

looksee wrote: »
    Even doing jobs like hospital porter or indeed any sort of hospital assistant work you will probably at times have somewhat personal interaction with patients. No, it really doesn't seem likely that you could do work experience without the areas you mention, what would you see yourself doing other than those things? You would not realistically even get through the course with those aversions.

There is nothing wrong with knowing your preferences in dealing with people, but it would help to know the reason for your aversion. Is it because you don't want to deal with people at all, or you don't want to do personal (ie possibly 'messy') jobs or what is the reason, especially given your desire to work in a hospital?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I want to work with people, ive worked on my own online business for 4 years now and i miss being around people. I like the idea of helping people out, putting them at ease, explaining stuff or moving stuff for them etc, that's why i thought a hospital porter or radiology assistant would be good, but not getting too private with someone like that, thought of helping someone go to the toilet makes me feel very yuck tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Presumably you can really only see what jobs are available and apply, see what happens. If you have been advised that you would need a Carers cert to do that kind of work though, then, as I said, I don't see you even completing the course without the experience of dealing with personal care. Have you established whether Porters are employed specifically as porters, or do you apply for a general type of assistant job and get allocated after that?

There are lots of areas where someone who has a desire to help people and communicate could pursue, retail is the first that comes to mind.

Advertisement