Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phishing

• 31-08-2020 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,999 ✭✭✭✭

I have just had a hunt round Boards for a thread about Phishing. It comes up in a few forums but not as a dedicated question. So I will give it a try here.

We should all know by now that phishing is an attempt by unscrupulous people to get your information in order to use it to get your money or identity information. Some of the methods can be very convincing to the extent that you may stop and wonder whether any email or text might be sinister.

I recently got an email purporting to come from Google, asking me to confirm if I wanted to use an eircom email address as my recovery email. I had in the last few months changed that email to a gmail address, so there was no need for Google to ask. The email was absolutely convincing, including the URL. I went to my Google account via my own route and there was no mention of this issue, so I assumed that the email was phishing. On further investigation I am pretty sure it was genuine, but it has had me messing about trying to figure it out. Still, the solution is generally to make your own way to the site in question - ie don't click on links offered - but its a nuisance.

If you want to use this thread to discuss or ask about possible phishing attempts, please do so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I never under any circumstances click on a link in ny email. I prefer to go directly to the website and logon myself.

I sometimes get emails purporting to be from entities like Google, Paypal, Amazon, Ebay, banks and so on which inform me that something is not correct with my account. The email provides a link to click to access my account.

What happens if I click on the link, I don't know because I have never done that.

Never click any of these so called links. You're on the internet - logon to the entity's website and check if there is an issue with your account.

Advertisement