Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice for Carrauntoohil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

hey folks - how busy is Carrauntoohil over the weekends as thinking of climbing with the family on Saturday. We did last year over a holiday weekend and it was packed (especially on the ladder) and obviously want to avoid crowds this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

BailMeOut wrote: »
    hey folks - how busy is Carrauntoohil over the weekends as thinking of climbing with the family on Saturday. We did last year over a holiday weekend and it was packed (especially on the ladder) and obviously want to avoid crowds this year.

On a weekend with good weather it's going to be packed unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

BailMeOut wrote: »

Climbing from the Coomloughra side is, IMO, the best way to climb Carrauntoohil. It's always much quieter, on even the busiest day.

And if you do the full loop you can bag Ireland's 3 highest peaks in one walk. Carrauntoohill, Beenkeeragh & Caher.

The route is detailed on the Kerry mountain rescue website.

https://kerrymountainrescue.ie/carrauntoohil-route-descriptions/

Great pics and description of the walk here;

https://mountaintrails.ie/the-coomloughra-horseshoe-the-best-mountain-ridge-walk-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

How safe is it to descend O sheas gulley? Want to have a dip in irelands highest lake but would prefer a dip on the descent rather than the ascent.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭RamblingRuairi

How safe is it to descend O sheas gulley? Want to have a dip in irelands highest lake but would prefer a dip on the descent rather than the ascent.

No bother at all. Like all routes, just be careful of folks ascending and dislodging any rocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

Surprised there aren't a few finger posts on the summit as people tend to get confused as to which way to descend especially when it's wet/foggy (most of the time!). Was doing the Reeks Traverse with a few friends on the Aug w/end & met a couple who were heading towards Caher thinking they were going back to the Devils Ladder. The funny thing was after we explained where they were & they should head back, the guy asked us were we lying to them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

opus wrote: »
    Surprised there aren't a few finger posts on the summit as people tend to get confused as to which way to descend especially when it's wet/foggy (most of the time!). Was doing the Reeks Traverse with a few friends on the Aug w/end & met a couple who were heading towards Caher thinking they were going back to the Devils Ladder. The funny thing was after we explained where they were & they should head back, the guy asked us were we lying to them :)

:rolleyes: Should have told him "Yes, everything I've told you is a lie, including this"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

We went up yesterday from the Hydro Car park.
    There was a lady at the mountain exit from the car park chatting to some hikers.
    She asked us were we going to the top, but that was all.

We took our time :) and we didn't get back until 7:30, probably 2 hours after the last of the walkers from Hydro.
    There was a different lady waiting in the car park when we got there.
    She was lovely, we had a great chat with her and she recommended Quinlans in Killorglin for fish and chips.

It was only after she left though, that we came to the conclusion that she'd been waiting for us to come down.
    She told us she'd been talking to the other walkers who came down before us who'd told her where we were.
    (Most did a there and back via Caher yesterday so we met everyone on the ridge.)

Does anyone know if this is a common thing and are these ladies locals who mind the cars in the car park or are they also part of mountain rescue, keeping track of who's up on the mountain and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Hi there.

I am planning to climb carrantoohil this Friday, sept 25th.

Can you park a campervan at any of the starting points overnight would anyone know?

I will be going alone. Fitness is not an issue but I am not too experienced at climbing. Any recommendations?
    I have waterproof boots and clothing and will pack food, water, power bank, GPS etc.

Thanks

Hi there.

Can you park a campervan at any of the starting points overnight would anyone know?

I will be going alone. Fitness is not an issue but I am not too experienced at climbing. Any recommendations?
    I have waterproof boots and clothing and will pack food, water, power bank, GPS etc.

Thanks

I don't think there was any height barrier at the Hydro Car park (52.023178, -9.789872) when we were there.

There may be signs up saying it's not allowed, but it's a very quiet part of the county and there isn't much passing (Garda) traffic.

Going up via Caher is very straightforward, plus you have the option of doing the Beenkeragh loop if you want.

If you do go up via Caher, when you turn right off the Hydro track, walk 20 metres to the right of the path, parallel to it for the first 5 mins. It avoids the boggiest bit and there's another well worn path out there.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    I don't think there was any height barrier at the Hydro Car park (52.023178, -9.789872) when we were there.

There may be signs up saying it's not allowed, but it's a very quiet part of the county and there isn't much passing (Garda) traffic.

Going up via Caher is very straightforward, plus you have the option of doing the Beenkeragh loop if you want.

If you do go up via Caher, when you turn right off the Hydro track, walk 20 metres to the right of the path, parallel to it for the first 5 mins. It avoids the boggiest bit and there's another well worn path out there.

thanks. Plan was to arrive Thursday evening, head off early Friday and drive away again once back from the climb.

If its not allowed I could always park up around Killarney Thursday night and drive up to the carpark Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

People park overnight in Cronin's yard in tents and campervans. Not sure how much it is but doubt its much. Toilets on site too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Hi there.

Thanks

Cronin's Yard is the perfect place for you, they are a campsite, the prices are very reasonable, they have toilets & showers, there's a cafe/tea rooms and the Cronin's are good people...

The routes from Cronin's are well defined and always busy so navigation won't be an issue.

https://croninsyard.com/facilities-pods/

Left from hydro car park, up caher summit and across to carrantoohil. Very clear getting to the summit initially but weather turned then. Hailstones. High wind etc. so I came down the zig zag route instead of crossing the ridge to complete the horseshoe. Very enjoyable all the same.

Caher route is more interesting than devils ladder route I think. Although it is steep from the very beginning as opposed to Cronin's yard route which has a long flat opening before pitching up to the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Was up on the hill last Monday and came down the curved gully thinking we were on o'sheas gully. Scary stuff. Was glad to reach Lough Cummeenoughter but every single rock i stepped on wanted to give way. After climbing Slive Donard recently i suppose i was lulled into a false sense of security. I found Carrauntohill very tough and still ache after that climb. Blessed we had decent weather and could temporarily see from the summit.
    We stayed in the castle rosse hotel and would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

9 helped off by Kerry mountain rescue yesterday. Idiots. 5k limit breaches AND going up in icy weather.

What goes through peoples minds I wonder in deciding to go on these hikes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They've had to help people of Slieve Donard as well over the new year weekend.

Best to stick to local low land trails. For fitness I've started doing the first section of the Shankill side of the Dublin Mountain Way it's with in my 5k. It was a little bit of ice in some parts on Saturday but lots of paths covered in flowing water which will freeze this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There's a lot inexperienced people on the mountains at the moment thanks to Covid. In one way they're trying to do the right thing by going outdoors, but on the other hand they aren't aware of the risks. I know too from talking to some people (particularly people new to Ireland) that they can underestimate Irish mountains/hills and are not aware of how difficult our weather can be. There can be an element of lack of control on an Irish hill when the weather turns which is worse than anything I've ever experienced abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

hmmm wrote: »
    they can underestimate Irish mountains/hills and are not aware of how difficult our weather can be. There can be an element of lack of control on an Irish hill when the weather turns which is worse than anything I've ever experienced abroad.

A friend of mine who was in Wicklow mountain rescue for a long time compared the conditions on the higher mountains like Lug and the Reeks (1000m) to the lower Alps (3000m)

Hard to believe until you've been up these Irish mountains in adverse weather yourself

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I think social media might have a part to play also as the various facebook groups are currently flooded with photos of snow covered mountains and tales of hard going, but we made it.

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I think social media might have a part to play also as the various facebook groups are currently flooded with photos of snow covered mountains and tales of hard going, but we made it.

Yea I saw somebody brought their 5 year old up Carrauntoohil last week. Nuts

• Went to run the Eastern Reeks last week, got to Cruach Mhór and turned back. Path wasn't visible under snow and boulders were like ice, the lugs on mountain runners really not up to it.

The 5km restrictions were brought in the following day, the temperatures have dropped further, and anyone out there now without the appropriate gear and experience is behaving recklessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

unkel wrote: »
    A friend of mine who was in Wicklow mountain rescue for a long time compared the conditions on the higher mountains like Lug and the Reeks (1000m) to the lower Alps (3000m)

Hard to believe until you've been up these Irish mountains in adverse weather yourself

I can see slieve mish from my place. I wouldn't want to be, up in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Def agree with this, was wondering if Instagram and Facebook didn't exist, would even half the people have a genuine interest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Insane.

It's probably for another thread but it's not something I'd have an issue with depending on the 5 year old and who they are with and conditions on the day. It's hardly like the child wandered up on their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

One particular FB group had photos of a party that went up Carrauntoohil last week in the snow, wearing all the best labels and all having the crack and getting the hashtags warmed up for the "Likes"; martyrs to the cause.

Two days later the same party of 4 were mentioned on the same page as being some of those who were saved by Kerry Mountain Rescue.

One particular FB group had photos of a party that went up Carrauntoohil last week in the snow, wearing all the best labels and all having the crack and getting the hashtags warmed up for the "Likes"; martyrs to the cause.

Two days later the same party of 4 were mentioned on the same page as being some of those who were saved by Kerry Mountain Rescue.

You mean they were rescued, put up photos as if nothing had happened and got called out for it. Classic :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

Hi folks

How many cars can park at Hydro road and what time does it fill up by , please ?

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    Hi folks

How many cars can park at Hydro road and what time does it fill up by , please ?

I reckon 25 -30 cars, but I don't know what time it would fill up at.
    I don't recall there being any 'overflow' parking options nearby.

KUl1hDx.png

The actual carpark is a little to the north of what's marked as the Hydro Car park on the map.
    Also the car park only shows on Google Earth for me for some reason, not on Google Maps Satellite view. I thought they used the same imagery.

Advertisement