Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air Bike Opinions

• 07-08-2018 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some advise on a home gym setup. I had a cross trainer until recently that the flywheel broke on so i am looking for an upgrade to commercial equipment. Unfortunately commercial grade cross trainers are to heavy, my home gym is in the attic so i came across Air Bikes and am wondering if anyone uses them for cardio and how do they compare to crosstrainers..

The one im looking at is below, any feedback is appreciated :)

https://www.olympusfitness.ie/products/schwinn-airdyne-ad8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Buy a real bike and a turbo trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Hi Pelvis,

Have you used an airbike and if so how does it compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

those bikes are absolute killers! i find them much tougher than any other form of cardio. Perfect for HIIT training, never tried them for more constant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

They are great piece of equipment.
    Much tougher on the body than rowing IMO.
    That echo one is meant to be good and quiet as the Air Assault bike certainly isn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

theduffer wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some advise on a home gym setup. I had a cross trainer until recently that the flywheel broke on so i am looking for an upgrade to commercial equipment. Unfortunately commercial grade cross trainers are to heavy, my home gym is in the attic so i came across Air Bikes and am wondering if anyone uses them for cardio and how do they compare to crosstrainers..

The one im looking at is below, any feedback is appreciated :)

https://www.olympusfitness.ie/products/schwinn-airdyne-ad8

Make sure the attic flooring is strong enough to take you collapsing off of it :)

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the feedback, it seems that for pure cardio this piece of equipment offers more than a cross trainer or an exercise bike..

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the feedback, it seems that for pure cardio this piece of equipment offers more than a cross trainer or an exercise bike..

I'd also consider a Concept 2 rower. Can do aerobic and anaerobic (sprint intervals) on it so IMHO it's a bit more versatile but maybe there's a bias there.

I'd also consider a Concept 2 rower. Can do aerobic and anaerobic (sprint intervals) on it so IMHO it's a bit more versatile but maybe there's a bias there.

I was actually considering purchasing both.. Would i be wasting my time purchasing both when effectively one machine offers the same results as the other from a cardio point of view

I was actually considering purchasing both.. Would i be wasting my time purchasing both when effectively one machine offers the same results as the other from a cardio point of view

I'd have said so. If they're just for cardio, then both will work so I'd go one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

[
    For the sake of balance, you can do aerobic and anaerobic on an air bike too. It essentially covers the same intensity range as a C2. And the monitor uses more of less the sane variety of units.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

yes but not exactly comfortable to do long pieces on e.g. 30mins

I regularly do long sections on bike but its literally a pain in the butt to do the same on a concept 2 rower

Id defo go rogue echo or assault bike by a mile - do not get airdyne - we've had lots of issues in the past with parts breaking

I did say i might be biased :)

I've never seen or tried to use the assault bike except for sprints. But I prefer the rower so i never gave it a proper chance.

The choice is yours, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I've been doing a lot of research on airbikes lately.

The Rogue, Assault and that newest Schwinn are all good options. There are plenty of comparison videos on YouTube and reviews online.

I'm pulling the trigger on the Rogue this week though. It's really overbuilt, great price and seems best in class.

I already have a water rower but I want to mix up my cardio. Gets boring doing the same thing non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

mdwexford wrote: »
    I've been doing a lot of research on airbikes lately.

The Rogue, Assault and that newest Schwinn are all good options. There are plenty of comparison videos on YouTube and reviews online.

I'm pulling the trigger on the Rogue this week though. It's really overbuilt, great price and seems best in class.

I already have a water rower but I want to mix up my cardio. Gets boring doing the same thing non stop.

Did full session on rogue echo bike yesterday and big time impressed - very quiet, smooth and saddle really comfortable

Cheaper than many and very well built

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭karlitob

Transform wrote: »
    Did full session on rogue echo bike yesterday and big time impressed - very quiet, smooth and saddle really comfortable

Cheaper than many and very well built

Hope people don’t mind me opening this thread again.

I’m really keen on getting one of these. Used them a bit at crossfit. Loved using them. But for a lot of reasons - haven’t been to the gym in a while and likely won’t for the foreseeable.

I get arguments that there are lots of other ways to get the outcome but there you go - probably looking to justify it to myself.

Anyone know if there are cheaper versions of these bikes. They are incredibly expensive.

Thanks all.

Advertisement