Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clongriffin - Parkedge

• 16-03-2015 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hello, I asked questions in original Clongriffin / Parkedge threads but got no answers. I guess OPs are no longer following them.

Can anyone shed some light on how is build quality?
    Any problems with Gannon built houses that came to light after a year or so?
    Are the windmills audiable at night?

Thabks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I've seen the ones under construction by Gannon at the moment. All engineered timber floors going in so should be pretty solid and should have low sound transfer and low heat loss due to them meeting the new Part L building regulations.

If you are interested in them I would always advise paying a visit to the site and ask to be shown around.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

I have been there but only the showhouse is available and it is an entirely different design. They won't let me see any of the semis as it is still a construction site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Are you looking into the 2 story ones?

I am looking at the regular 2 storey semi detatched, King Street.
    They seem quite a good spec on paper with solar heating and rainwater harvesting systems.

I was just told by a sales agent at Knight Frank that the proposed mosque will not be built and instead the plot will be used for building houses. Is it just a sales talk or something official? I can't find anything definite on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

TD Tommy Broughan said the same thing in his newsletter that we got in the door a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 48 zarker

Mosque: Gannon has confirmed that a Nursing home will be built instead of a mosque (see here
    averilpower.ie/?p=5759 --> Sorry that I con't post a direct link)

Windmills: I live 1 block from the park, not directly in front of it and outside the house you can hear the windmills but not inside. From outside, it doesn't bother me at all.

Build quality: Quality is fine if you ask me, but I am no expert and am comparing to houses I rented around Dublin. Issues I found: The pressure of water on the showers was not satisfactory, I had to add a pump. The bathroom sinks were small and I had them all replaced with vanity units.

Thank you @Skerries and @zarker

• Registered Users Posts: 15 madster

Volthar wrote: »
    I am looking at the regular 2 storey semi detatched, King Street.
    They seem quite a good spec on paper with solar heating and rainwater harvesting systems.

I bought one of the new development houses that will be ready on May. Unfortunately I only found out now that there are many changes from the original specs we received from the vendors.

The Evacuated tubes Solar Heating of the Show House have been replaced with totally inadequate 1kWh PV panels, and there is even a missing skylight on the kitchen ceiling.

As the house is not completed, we could only spot these changes from having a look at the outside, and now we are wondering of what we'll find inside...

I am very disappointed so far, does any of you know if builders can do such changes without informing customers?

madster wrote:
    I bought one of the new development houses that will be ready on May. Unfortunately I only found out now that there are many changes from the original specs we received from the vendors.

Hi, I have booked one if the semis but I am not sure if the panels on the roof are same as in their folder. Does your come with kitchen apliances? I was sure all was included, my friends got their home last year and they only had to do the floors. The sales agent told me last week that apliances are not included. I can't say I am upset as I knew it before I paid the money but it looks they lowered the spec compared to the previous stage.

• Advertisement

madster wrote:
    I am very disappointed so far, does any of you know if builders can do such changes without informing customers?

I do not know if they can but unless you have already signed the contract you can withdraw your interest. How do you know the panels on the roof are not Kingspan Thermomax?

I can't say I am upset as I knew it before I paid the money but it looks they lowered the spec compared to the previous stage.

No one ever mentioned that to me though. And when I asked for specs they only sent me the brochure with the wrong specs on it.

For the kitchen appliances I knew already they were not included, they told me that when I visited the show house.

Regarding the Solar Panels I asked for more information after I saw the wrong model on the roof of all new development houses. They eventually gave me the specs telling me they are not Solar Panels as this was changed to PV panels of 1kWh. This sounds to me as a scam, a very ridiculous setup compared to the previous one...

Basically they replaced the best possible choice with the worst one to save money, and they never informed neither me nor my solicitor.

It all depends on the contract you guys signed. They are legally allowed alter the sustainable energy products to comply with Part L of the Building Regulations.

It depends on the wording of your contract with the builders here, as they may have it worded in a way that they just need to supply you with a particular BER rated house and how they achieve compliance is up to them.

Check the contracts and with your solicitor.

Are the PV systems really that bad? Have you checked the pay back period etc?

Thank you Kceire for your answer,

I'm already in touch with my solicitor but times are quite slow to have these things clarified (two weeks passed already). I was wondering if someone else had similar experiences to know my possibilities.

For the PV system, unfortunately it has been confirmed to me by a renewable energy engineer.

madster wrote: »
    Thank you Kceire for your answer,

I'm already in touch with my solicitor but times are quite slow to have these things clarified (two weeks passed already). I was wondering if someone else had similar experiences to know my possibilities.

For the PV system, unfortunately it has been confirmed to me by a renewable energy engineer.

From practical point of view PV will not be as useful to me as the originally planned evacuated tubes because:
    1. I am away from home for most of the day so the "free" energy from PV will be used only by my A+++ rated fridge. The surplus will be returned to the network for which I will not see a penny and the only benefactor will be Electric Ireland.
    2. I like the idea of free hot water, nice to have i when you are back home after a long day at work.

By the way I got an answer from the Knight Frank and they confirmed there are PV installed. The problem I have that there are only 3 panels on semis and the spec refers to 1kW from 4 panels. This means I am even worse off. I emailed them again asking for explanation. Also PV are cheaper than Thermomax - shouldn't they offer us a discount?

I have 2 more questions to those who have already bought in the current stage:
    1. Does anyone knows if the attics on the semis are suitable for conversion?
    2. can you recommend wooden floor and kitchen appliances suppliers/installers?

From practical point of view PV will not be as useful to me as the originally planned evacuated tubes because:
    1. I am away from home for most of the day so the "free" energy from PV will be used only by my A+++ rated fridge. The surplus will be returned to the network for which I will not see a penny and the only benefactor will be Electric Ireland.
    2. I like the idea of free hot water, nice to have i when you are back home after a long day at work.

By the way I got an answer from the Knight Frank and they confirmed there are PV installed. The problem I have that there are only 3 panels on semis and the spec refers to 1kW from 4 panels. This means I am even worse off. I emailed them again asking for explanation. Also PV are cheaper than Thermomax - shouldn't they offer us a discount?

I have 2 more questions to those who have already bought in the current stage:
    1. Does anyone knows if the attics on the semis are suitable for conversion?
    2. can you recommend wooden floor and kitchen appliances suppliers/installers?

Attic will most likely not be suitable for a straight forward conversion.
    You are talking about the 2 storey ones with coloured front doors yeah?

The floor joists upstairs are engineered timber sections but I'm nearly sure the attics were a truss system with cross members spanning the attic space ie. You need to do substantial work to convert the attic cut the trusses and use steel where required.

Don't forget the PV panels are to the rear too so you would need planning permission to insert velux roof lights to the front.

I'll try dig out some consumer unction photos and clarify in a day or two.

kceire wrote:
    I'll try dig out some consumer unction photos and clarify in a day or two.

Thanks.

The one I am buying is a semi detached on King Street and has panels facing south and they are at the front so windows would be at the rear / garden side.

Attic conversion is not something I need or can afford at the moment. I was just curious as many people convert them.

I went there today and a kitchen window was opened. What I have seen inside was... hidious sky blue cabinets! These were supposed to be high gloss white as per the showhouse. What the heck is going on?

I went there today and a kitchen window was opened. What I have seen was... hidious sky blue cabinets! These were supposed to be high gloss white as per the showhouse. What the heck is going on?

Are you sure it's not the protective plastic coating on them?

I went there today and a kitchen window was opened. What I have seen was... hidious sky blue cabinets! These were supposed to be high gloss white as per the showhouse. What the heck is going on?

Hi Volthar thanks for sharing. Can I ask you where did you see the kitchen window opened? I am not sure here if you are talking about normal windows in the semi detached in King Street, or if you're referring to the missing Velux I was talking about earlier ^ ^

• Advertisement

@kceire: It was my thought too but it looked too smooth and all the handles are already attached. I hope you are right though.

Did you have a chance to investigate what is the roof type.

@madster: I looked at the semis on King st. I noticed the missing velux on 3 storeys. I remember all the brochures had velux windows on kitchen extensions. The windows were opened as painters were working inside.

@kceire: It was my thought too but it looked too smooth and all the handles are already attached. I hope you are right though.

Did you have a chance to investigate what is the roof type.

Was only in the office one day this week so didn't have time. Will deffo check next week for you.

kceire wrote: »
    Was only in the office one day this week so didn't have time. Will deffo check next week for you.

No rush. I have already asked the vendor and hopefully I will get an answer by Wednesday. I think I panicked too quickly about the kitchen. Looking up some pics on the internet this is exactly the shade of blue I have seen:

IMG_9353-734146.JPG

Looks like you were right about the protective film. Fingers crossed.
    I did not know it will be so stressful buying off plans. Especially that even the plans are "approximate" and the final house may differ. Back home I bought a duplex apartment. It was also off plans but I knew what to expect as it was bare walls and all furniture, decoration, appliances were up to me to decide. Also price was quoted per sqm and when it was finished and the actual floor area was little bit smaller the final price was adjusted accordingly. Here the house was advertised as 112 sqm. The outside measurements that I got from one of the builders on site give me 109 sqm. The actual floor area will be even less than that, probably at max 105 sqm. 7 sqm is quite a difference. Nevertheless I understand that in all the documents it is written "dimensions are approximate" and any argument is pointless.

kceire: you seem to be quite knowledgeable. Is it possible to convert the attic and have it insulated enough so the house does not loose it's A3 BER rating?

Converting the attic in couple of years, even if it is going to cost 30-40k, is going to future proof the place. On plans it looks like you can actually install a normal size attic stairs. I think the attic height to be over 3 meters and the roof angle at the tip is 90 degrees. I could not take a pic of the semi from the correct angle but it looks like the one in attachment.

PM me what exact house you bought and I'll get any pics I have of that particular house for you (if it's ine I inspected).

3 weeks delay in completing the house. :(

madster wrote: »
    Hi Volthar thanks for sharing.

Hi madster

are you making any progress in your dealings with KF?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 george507

Hi madster

Hi Volthar

I bought a unit there as well, they said it should be finished in June, but I'm very doubt about that. Just wondering if your house has been completed? Did you get the key?

Thks
    George

Hi madster

Still no progress on that side, but just cause I decided to enter the house first, have a complete picture of the result, and then take decisions about it.

• Advertisement

george507 wrote:
    I bought a unit there as well, they said it should be finished in June, but I'm very doubt about that. Just wondering if your house has been completed? Did you get the key?

Hi, mine is a semi and they have completed it 2 weeks ago. I will only get keys once the builder has made necessary fixes as my surveyor has listed in the snag list. I hope it won't take more than 2 more weeks.
    Note mine was supposed to be finished mid-April so there was a delay. Good luck with your house.

Advertisement