Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you could solve 3 cases..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

penno wrote: »
    Shergar and Marie Celeste.

Well Shergar is the typical Irish secret that everyone knows, leg broken during the theft, due to inexperienced handlers.
    Killed becasue of said leg.
    Buried in Leitrim.

Marie Celeste was because of gallons of leaked rum caused a flash explosion.
    -- Can't be proven 100% but experiments showed how the fire would let everything in perfect condition. Crew jumped over board during the chaos and drowned.
    KevRossi wrote: »
    Abroad

MH370
    D.B. Cooper
    Dyatlov Pass incident

MH370, sure looks like suicide by the pilot, the movements look intentional and the flyby his home island.

My guess is that D.B. died in the jump, given the cash that kid found in the bank of a stream and the fact that none of the other notes ever turned up.
    A lot of people mentioning Trevor Deely but there's no evidence I know of that foul play was involved.

The video of the guy following and waiting outside the bank building for him certainly points at foul play.
    I really hope that family get answers.

A lot of people mentioning Trevor Deely but there's no evidence I know of that foul play was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

This is another of those cases where you slip right down a rabbit hole. It seems all key people caught up in it could present as legitimate targets for a hit. But (last I heard) the French police were formulating some theory they were victims of a serial killer.

Yes, Nordahl Lelandais, he is a suspect in this murder. He is the main suspect in the abduction of a little girl at a wedding party in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

LISK
    Zodiac
    and from Ireland
    Raonaid Murray.

but there are loads of other mysteries.
    The recent capture of ONS/EAR shows that cases can still be closed decades later.

I think a DNA campaign in Kerry would resolve the identity of the Kerry baby but I'm not sure if the community actually wants to look behind that curtain.
    The Yara Gambirasio case is fascinating for looking for a killer by familial DNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭missyb01

my choices would be "Jennifer Fergate" found dead in a hotel in 1995 under an assumed identity and nobody matching her description has ever been reported missing or anything. Nobody has ever come forward to say that they knew her

Disappearance of Ben McDaniel

Disappearance/Murder of The Springfield Three

I know the above are all american but still very interesting and baffling cases.

Trevor Deely and Philip Cairns.
    Conor and Shelia Dwyer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Diemos wrote: »
    LISK
    Zodiac
    and from Ireland
    Raonaid Murray.

but there are loads of other mysteries.
    The recent capture of ONS/EAR shows that cases can still be closed decades later.

I think a DNA campaign in Kerry would resolve the identity of the Kerry baby but I'm not sure if the community actually wants to look behind that curtain.
    The Yara Gambirasio case is fascinating for looking for a killer by familial DNA.

Already

<mod snip> no discussion of Irish cases please </mod snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Suckler

Irish ones -
    Philip Cairns
    Trevor Deely

It's difficult to single out the disappearance/murder (both?) of some of these cases - Annie McCarrick / Ciara Breen / Raonid Murray / Fiona Sinnott / Jojo Dullard / Deirdre Jacob / Sophie Toscan Du Plantier

There's a few Irish ones that need the final piece in the puzzle to "solve".... i.e put the cuffs on the blatantly guilty but just out of reach:
    Fiona Pender / Sandra Collins / Mary Boyle / Father Niall Molloy / Paul Quinn / Anthony Campbell

Madeleine McCann - Just so that thread can be closed.

Foreign one's that intrigued me:
    Dyatlov Pass
    Gary Mathias
    Elisa Lam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The main one for me would be JonBenet Ramsey

There's been a good few mentions of murder cases in the thread but in many instances it could be just something as simple as someone we've never heard of before or since committing a straightforward murder and that's it (e.g. the Du Plantier case). There are just so much depths to the JBR case however

If it was a member of the family, how did the (undoubtedly accidental) killing take place and how exactly did the cover-up process work? Who concocted all of the staging of the murder, how long before 911 was called, are all the family members actually even aware of the whole story, how have they lived with this all since? (particularly a 9 year old through his teenage years into adulthood, if he was aware of such a dark secret).

If it was an intruder, how did they gain entry, what was their motive, why did they use a pen and paper from the house itself and why did they draft such a long and pointless ransom note?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

On JonBenet there was a show where they built the inside of the basement etc. and pretty much said it was the brother, it was Jim Clementi (former FBI agent) and Laura (UK officer), can't think of her surname, they do a podcast together too. I'll try google the show later it was well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Its up on YouTube alright, its a very long watch however.

I haven't watched it in a while now, but a little bit too long is spent on analysing the in-distinctive comments from when the phone was not properly hung up after the 911 call. There's simply no way of knowing for sure what was said no matter how much doctoring is done. There's not a whole lot of ground-breaking stuff in it overall, that isn't covered by much shorter documentaries/reports out there

Interestingly, though, it was the first time the 911 operator was actually publicly interviewed as far as I'm aware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭t1h9mgqsxopj0r

Tina Satchwell .. Just give me a lie detector kit .....

<mod snip>discussing Irish case</mod snip>

Trevor Dealy.
    Amy Fitzpatrick (<mod snip>discussing Irish case</mod snip>)
    Fiona Pender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

jr86 wrote: »
    The main one for me would be JonBenet Ramsey

There's been a good few mentions of murder cases in the thread but in many instances it could be just something as simple as someone we've never heard of before or since committing a straightforward murder and that's it (e.g. the Du Plantier case). There are just so much depths to the JBR case however

If it was a member of the family, how did the (undoubtedly accidental) killing take place and how exactly did the cover-up process work? Who concocted all of the staging of the murder, how long before 911 was called, are all the family members actually even aware of the whole story, how have they lived with this all since? (particularly a 9 year old through his teenage years into adulthood, if he was aware of such a dark secret).

If it was an intruder, how did they gain entry, what was their motive, why did they use a pen and paper from the house itself and why did they draft such a long and pointless ransom note?

Little Jon Benet Ramsey used to be taking part in junior beauty pageants and was always dressed in provocative clothing, I have watched some of those shows and the little girls done up like adults, it was terrible and is still today how mothers can do that to their daughters,
    instead of giving them a child hood, it was all about winning and too young for that kind of a world, kids should be let develop naturally and be kids,
    Could have been some one that took a unhealthy liking to her, as she was too much on the public stage as are others her age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭t1h9mgqsxopj0r

goat2 wrote: »
    Little Jon Benet Ramsey used to be taking part in junior beauty pageants and was always dressed in provocative clothing, I have watched some of those shows and the little girls done up like adults, it was terrible and is still today how mothers can do that to their daughters,
    instead of giving them a child hood, it was all about winning and too young for that kind of a world, kids should be let develop naturally and be kids,
    Could have been some one that took a unhealthy liking to her, as she was too much on the public stage as are others her age

There have been documents made that point towards the brother which the parents covered up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

1. Isabella Stewart Gardner heist ($10m reward!!)

2. Teresa Halbach

3. Maddie McCann

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

After listening to the podcast on casefile the other week it would be the Beaumont Children in Australia, their poor parents are still alive. I'd love if they could get some peace before they go. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

NATLOR wrote: »
    Philip Cairns
    Raonaid Murray
    Madeline Macann

Raonaid Murray will never be solved ,
    <modsnip>discussion of Irish case</modsnip>

Or then again could be nonsense,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Yuba City Boys

Five men (with various mental conditions) leave an American Football match in California.

Somehow they end up on a freezing mountain road that's nowhere near their town. Their car is found in good working order and fuelled up. Its tyres were under a few inches of snow, but investigators said it was easy for 5 men to clear it.

One of them starves and/or freezes to death in a log cabin that contained loads of food and fuel. The other men's remains are scattered around the mountain road.

Other than that.... JFK and Madeleine McCann

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The Yuba City Boys

Five men (with various mental conditions) leave an American Football match in California.

Somehow they end up on a freezing mountain road that's nowhere near their town. Their car is found in good working order and fuelled up. Its tyres were under a few inches of snow, but investigators said it was easy for 5 men to clear it.

One of them starves and/or freezes to death in a log cabin that contained loads of food and fuel. The other men's remains are scattered around the mountain road.

Other than that.... JFK and Madeleine McCann

I was thinking of those Yubba murders which occurred in 1978 . A very strange strange story tbh.

Also within roughly the same geographic area - the Keddie murders.

An unsolved 1981 American quadruple homicide that occurred in Keddie, a rundown rural resort town in the Sierra Nevada of northern California.

The murders occurred in a cabin community in a mountain area and included a mother, a number of her children and one of the children's friend. Other children who were asleep survived. One of the murdered children remained a missing person until 1984 when a skull and several other bones were recovered many miles from the murder scene.

Multiple leads and suspects were examined in the intervening years, though no charges were filed. In 2004, the cabin in which the murders occurred was demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Actually that one would be on my list too, I knew her father at the time. Horrific thing to happen and very mysterious circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The disappearance of Alpho O' Reilly in 1996. He was the former head of design in RTE who vanished without trace.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭tommythecat

chicorytip wrote: »
    The disappearance of Alpho O' Reilly in 1996. He was the former head of design in RTE who vanished without trace.

Interestingly <modsnip>discussion of Irish case</modsnip> Could there be a connection in any way I wonder.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

No discussion of Irish cases please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    No discussion of Irish cases please :)

Eek! Sorry!! Should I delete my post?

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Eek! Sorry!! Should I delete my post?
    no need, I've edited it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

The three cases I would like to see solved are
    Natalie Holloway, missing in Aruba.
    Madeline McCann
    JonBonet Ramsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

I want to add another one, what exactly happened to Caylee Anthony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Suckler

I want to add another one, what exactly happened to Caylee Anthony.

I'd say her mother (I use that word loosely) is the only one to know the detail...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 huiwe878778

Watch the documentary 'Rainy in Glenageary'

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

I'm just watching a BBC doc about Jill Dando (marking the 20th anniversary of her murder). It amazes me that this case was never solved, given the circumstances. Someone shot dead in broad daylight, on her own doorstep, in the middle of a residential street in London. The police scapegoating the local weirdo didn't help, of course. Had they not done that, they could have solved this case. Now I don't think they ever will.

I'm just watching a BBC doc about Jill Dando (marking the 20th anniversary of her murder). It amazes me that this case was never solved, given the circumstances. Someone shot dead in broad daylight, on her own doorstep, in the middle of a residential street in London. The police scapegoating the local weirdo didn't help, of course. Had they not done that, they could have solved this case. Now I don't think they ever will.

I think they got the right man, Barry George. All the evidence points to his guilt and his appeal was upheld on the most flimsy of grounds - that the gunpowder residue discovered in his coat pocket may not have been there as a result of him recently having used a firearm. He was acquitted on that basis. In the twenty years since - despite all the crackpot conspiracy theories surrounding the case - not one shred of hard evidence has been unearthed to link any other individual or group to the killing. George, by the way, is now living in Cork City.

• Advertisement

Watch the documentary 'Rainy in Glenageary'

I did, last night. The makers seem to believe they know the real culprit - dropping heavy hints as to what his current address and occupation are - based on information gleaned from an interview with a retired detective who worked on the case and an anonymous online tip off. Make of that what you will.This individual was regarded as the chief suspect in the early days of the investigation but no charges were ever brought against (him).

Advertisement