Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

KBC exiting Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Bad news for the consumer.

Good news for revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Revolut don't do loans or mortgages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Poo. I've always liked their app. I left ptsb to join kbc thinking they are more tech progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

zell12 wrote: »

Or offer any deposit guarantee scheme

I love revolut by the way just they don't offer any security for anything over what I'm willing to pay online

They will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Peterd66

Another bank driven out by Central Bank policy and approach and a warning to any new lenders thinking about entering the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

So bad news for the consumer. Good news for Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

B*****X

Fantastic bank and excellent App. Can't belive this, I'd hoped they at least continued with digital retail banking given they don't have a branch network.

Will have to shop around but don't want to go near PTSB, BOI or AIB.

Need an account that has a good app for managing account.

Sad, Sad news, I've been with them from the start.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ffs, I've all my banking with them including my mortgage, after leaving BOI who are useless.
    So only 3 banks left, all of which are somewhat govt owned

Just curious, I know little about Revolut. Is their app full service, I mean can you transfer, set up direct debits, Payee's etc I do pretty much everything with the KBC app, thanks for
    Any advice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bank of ireland were the last ee wanted our mortgage with so that's ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Very bad. There's literally no competition here. There's gonna be rip-off again, fees etc. Three banks....

I'm from a larger market, albeit only twice as large, and we've got 20 commercial banks minimum. They all offer free current accounts. The shift happened 10-12 years ago when a new player entered the market, disrupted it, people started pushing for free accounts voting with their feet, it was all over the media and the other banks just had to adapt. Fast forward, it's absolutely unacceptable for any bank charging fees for current accounts now, and anyone trying so would be laughed at.

Just a story of why competition is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,250 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

N26 a safer bet than Revolut imo. It's a German bank licenced by the German central bank.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The consequence of not been able to call in loans if people default

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Revolut aren’t under the deposit guarantee scheme either are they ?

Feck sake, I just moved to KBC from Ulster Bank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Great news... not stuck with zero choice. The last of the banks to offer free banking. Don’t bother saying EBS they haven’t left the 90s yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Thats not good, I'd been planning moving to them since and currently with Ulster.
    Leaves very little competition in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Don’t bother saying EBS they haven’t left the 90s yet
    EBS are part of AIB, which bought it for one euro in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Feck sake, not a lot of choice out there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Same. Have an AIP with them and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

It looks like a lot of us will be going full circle, with the limited choice that will be left.

Ceo of kbc on morning Ireland shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ah feck.. been with KBC for a long while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

That's a disaster for Irish consumers.
    No real choice now and the 3 Irish banks will jack up charges when they know they have the market to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The decision has already been made to sell to BOI?

Would have thought that maybe Avant would have been interested!?

My impression after ceo"s interview is BOI approached KBC about a take over?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Join the club. I moved from PTSB late last year for the free fees, and finally, finally got the very last step - additional credit card for herself - sorted just last feckin night, and I wake up to this news.

What a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Dempo1 wrote: »
    My impression after ceo"s interview is BOI approached KBC about a take over?

Yeah he seemed to imply they got an offer which made financial sense for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

N26 are great, i have an account with them as well as KBC, only problem is their German IBAN can cause issues at times for example switching electrical providers to Bord Gais they would only accept an Irish IBAN on their website.
    Its a PITA but will be switching over fully to N26 once they turn off the lights.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement