Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Authority Graduate Programme 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 saju

Tomlen27 wrote: »
    Apparently, I was told today that Cork City has been already been offered to someone ahead of me on the Economic and Enterprise Development panel. Don't know about.other streams

In the 2017 recruitment, they called people upto 50 oom. This is so confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭acawarrior

saju wrote: »

Was that in Cork or what county?

acawarrior wrote: »
    Was that in Cork or what county?
    Overall I am saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Freddow

In 2017 the OOM wasn't split into streams like it is now. Thats why the numbers were so high for people being called.

Freddow wrote: »
    In 2017 the OOM wasn't split into streams like it is now. Thats why the numbers were so high for people being called.

Oh really. Did u receive any clarification from them regarding this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 justin8847

Any update from Dublin council ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jobi1

Those placed highest on the order of merit should have their preferences considered first.

For example, if all of the top 5 candidates in the southern region indicated Cork City as their preferred location, and Enterprise as their first preference, then only number one will get the offer if there is only one post available. The second preference of the 2nd placed candidate on the Order of Merit will be the next offer made if that makes sense?

At the same time, if nobody in the top 5 chose HR and you were placed 6th with HR as your first preference, then you would be made the offer.
    Ultimately, if you aren't first, then your offer may depend on the choices of those placed higher on the OOM.

In 2018 there was both regions and skills areas (1 less skills area than this time).
    The only difference was that candidates did not know in advance where the vacancies were. This has been updated this year.

A previous poster said there were 50 calls made in 2017. There were approximately 100 made in 2018 in 2 separate rounds. I have no idea how many are available in the 2021 competition, but judging by the number of locations indicated on the application form where vacancies were available, it won't be so high this time around.

When do they get in touch after oom result email? It said on the email the County Council would be in contact with me shortly regarding my placing on the panel for my skill set.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Freddow

Jobi1 wrote: »
    In 2018 there was both regions and skills areas (1 less skills area than this time).
    The only difference was that candidates did not know in advance where the vacancies were. This has been updated this year.

A previous poster said there were 50 calls made in 2017. There were approximately 100 made in 2018 in 2 separate rounds. I have no idea how many are available in the 2021 competition, but judging by the number of locations indicated on the application form where vacancies were available, it won't be so high this time around.

Correct. People may have been 50th on the OOM but 3rd for their desired stream, they had no way of knowing. This is why people who were high on the OOM were getting calls.

This year the OOM's are split into streams/regions meaning generally people will have a low OOM placement in comparison to 2017/18 but a similar chance of being offered a place.

• Advertisement

What if we break the 3 year contract in the middle. Do we need to pay back?

Correct. People may have been 50th on the OOM but 3rd for their desired stream, they had no way of knowing. This is why people who were high on the OOM were getting calls.

This year the OOM's are split into streams/regions meaning generally people will have a low OOM placement in comparison to 2017/18 but a similar chance of being offered a place.

Candidates were definitely ranked on the OOM in 2017/18 by regions, but not by skill streams.
    I didn't realise that candidates received OOM rankings for individual streams this time around?

Even so, you still cannot be certain of anything unless you have been placed 1st on the OOM for the region/skill stream of your choice.

What if we break the 3 year contract in the middle. Do we need to pay back?

Obviously you do not need to pay back salary earned if you leave early

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Obviously you do not need to pay back salary earned if you leave early

They're basically encouraging you to try and use the programme as a means to get permanent public service employment anyways. They really hit home that there is no permanent job at the end of the 3 years. Most of the people I know from the 2017/18 left before the end (including myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jobhunting1234

tgdaly wrote: »
    They're basically encouraging you to try and use the programme as a means to get permanent public service employment anyways. They really hit home that there is no permanent job at the end of the 3 years. Most of the people I know from the 2017/18 left before the end (including myself)

How did you find the program and which stream/location were you in?

Automatic reply from Dcc.

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for your correspondence.

We have issued results to the applicants in the Dublin Region.

We will be in touch in May 2021 with offers of employment to the successful candidates as the vacancies arise within the four Dublin Local Authorities and the Local Government Management Agency.

The contract start date for candidates who receive offers of employment will be late June 2021- Mid July 2021.

Automatic reply from Dcc.

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for your correspondence.

We have issued results to the applicants in the Dublin Region.

We will be in touch in May 2021 with offers of employment to the successful candidates as the vacancies arise within the four Dublin Local Authorities and the Local Government Management Agency.

The contract start date for candidates who receive offers of employment will be late June 2021- Mid July 2021.

I assume itll be the same for the southern region?

The offers have been started in the Southern Region and there is only one 1 position available in the southern region. The OOM this year is not general rather for the skillset you applied. This was told by the council board itself.

justin8847 wrote: »
    The offers have been started in the Southern Region and there is only one 1 position available in the southern region. The OOM this year is not general rather for the skillset you applied. This was told by the council board itself.

That's unusual that there is only 1 job available to be filled in the southern region?

That's unusual that there is only 1 job available to be filled in the southern region?

For the Data Analytics Stream

• Advertisement

In that case it's better to move on

So for other streams there is still jobs available?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vinci

I doubt tho. In the vacancy section of the application form we filled, it was stated that for Data Analytics vacancies were available in the southern region at :

Clare County Council
    Cork County Council
    Cork City Council
    Kerry County

How many vacancies in each? No one knows.
    But it was stated that those 4 authorities had vacancies for that skill area. So there should be at least 4 vacancies for the skill in the region.

Sorry for the mistake . They said there was only 1 vacancy in the cork county council in the field of data analytics

Vinci wrote: »
    I doubt tho. In the vacancy section of the application form we filled, it was stated that for Data Analytics vacancies were available in the southern region at :

Clare County Council
    South Dublin County Council
    Cork City Council
    Kerry County

How many vacancies in each? No one knows.
    But it was stated that those 4 authorities had vacancies for that skill area. So there should be at least 4 vacancies for the skill in the region.

South Dublin is not in the Southern region

Would they keep you on after the 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ChrissieH

Hello guys,
    I'm on this programme (Enterprise, Southern region), I am shocked that applicants are now expected to have level 9 qualifications! I imagine it's a reflection of the volume of applications, as is the slow process that you're all experiencing.
    I applied in 2018, it was a second round of recruitment because they didn't fill all the roles at the time, so I interviewed in early December and was contacted a few days later to say I was second on the panel and therefore being offered a position. I think I had a good few weeks before I had to give them an answer, and then I could pretty much choose my own start date, so I didn't start until March 19.

I can only speak from my own experience, and obviously covid had changed the course of things too, but as someone who'd already been working full-time for a long time before taking this role, it's just another job with a bit of extra training thrown in. I'm doing admin constantly and have not experienced anything outside of the LEO... I appreciate that covid has disrupted things so I'm going to assume I might have been given the opportunity to check out other departments for "work experience" in normal circumstances but as it stands, I'm joining the hundreds of people applying for various LA jobs at grade 4 with a reasonable amount of knowledge compared to people who've never worked in the LA, but probably still not enough to place high enough on the panel to get a permanent job any time soon. Like the graduate program, the current recruitment campaign in my LA has been so inundated with applications that the shortlisting is pretty brutal and the panels are quite small, implying that they don't expect to fill many roles in the next 2 years, - I assume there's a freeze on the way, like the recession, so there's no need for big panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Would they keep you on after the 3 years?

There's no way you can be automatically kept on. If a job arises in the council you can apply as normal but it's all open recruitment

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JMariaa

ChrissieH wrote: »
    Hello guys,
    I'm on this programme (Enterprise, Southern region), I am shocked that applicants are now expected to have level 9 qualifications! I imagine it's a reflection of the volume of applications, as is the slow process that you're all experiencing.
    I applied in 2018, it was a second round of recruitment because they didn't fill all the roles at the time, so I interviewed in early December and was contacted a few days later to say I was second on the panel and therefore being offered a position. I think I had a good few weeks before I had to give them an answer, and then I could pretty much choose my own start date, so I didn't start until March 19.

I can only speak from my own experience, and obviously covid had changed the course of things too, but as someone who'd already been working full-time for a long time before taking this role, it's just another job with a bit of extra training thrown in. I'm doing admin constantly and have not experienced anything outside of the LEO... I appreciate that covid has disrupted things so I'm going to assume I might have been given the opportunity to check out other departments for "work experience" in normal circumstances but as it stands, I'm joining the hundreds of people applying for various LA jobs at grade 4 with a reasonable amount of knowledge compared to people who've never worked in the LA, but probably still not enough to place high enough on the panel to get a permanent job any time soon. Like the graduate program, the current recruitment campaign in my LA has been so inundated with applications that the shortlisting is pretty brutal and the panels are quite small, implying that they don't expect to fill many roles in the next 2 years, - I assume there's a freeze on the way, like the recession, so there's no need for big panels.

Thanks for posting this it’s really insightful to hear from someone working on the programme. Do you think being part of the programme will make you more appealing to employers if you apply somewhere else in the future? I really wanted to secure a place on the enterprise stream of the programme as I thought it would be really interesting working with smaller businesses and would be a great learning experience. Now I’m not sure if I’ll get offered anything depending on how many vacant positions are in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ChrissieH

Hi,

I honestly don't think it would impress employers in the private sector but it is definitely an advantage for applying to other public sector jobs, like other LAs, ETBs, HSE - I haven't applied for civil service in awhile so I can't say for sure, but I think with the aptitude testing, it wouldn't be any advantage there either.

I worked in private sector for years prior to this job and I found it a massive change from anything I'd experienced before, so I think maybe any time spent in public sector is helpful when applying for other public sector jobs, because there's an implication that at least you understand the general run of things (I.e. grades, hierarchies, pace, traditions etc) so I guess my advice to anyone hoping to make a career in public sector is to take temporary positions if you can afford to, as it's instantly an advantage to have that knowledge and experience when applying for vacancies down the line.

I was very green going into the LA, I had no idea how it all worked (panels, grades, temporary, contract positions etc.) So if there's any information I can give to help anyone, please ask.

Advertisement