Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Breezer25

Is anyone having trouble with the formatting of the application form ? I have sent mine around to a few people in my Department to take a look at but they are all getting a message when opening saying that they need to update Adobe. Its in pdf format

I had the same issue. You need to save it and then open it.
    Just save it to your desktop and open it form there.

It only opens with Adobe so you will need to have that installed or if not download a free copy of Adobe PDF reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

Breezer25 wrote: »

It only opens with Adobe so you will need to have that installed or if not download a free copy of Adobe PDF reader.

Yes, I had the same issue a while back but it can be worked around by doing what Breezer25 suggests.

I would absolutely go for it. I can't read the booklet just now but if it doesn't say anything about academic achievements and you have all the other requirements, I would go for it. You can also send an email to HR to make sure that you qualify for the application/position. I'm only in the door 2.5 years so maybe there is a Circular about this but I would seriously consider it. And sorry about the whole school thing - I totally understand that. You have nothing to lose, so go for it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭applejunkie

Perfect thanks. I was panicking in case I uploaded it to PAS and they wouldn't be able to open it

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

What I am asking really is, would you apply in the same circumstances or will my application be disregarded straight away?

Thanks in advance.

Annie

Hi Annie, I'm in the same boat as yourself educationally speaking - but i have a very strong form with good examples and experience - my form got through the shortlisting last time out so I wouldn't worry about the education side of things. Go for it and best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Ok, is it me or is the Employment Record all over the gaff! Is Emp. No.: 1 meant to be your current/most recent or your very first role? From the instructions it should be your current, but when I put in my next one, it moves down, so Emp. No.: 2 is above Emp. No.: 1. Anyone else having the same problems? Should I just type these in from first role to current? I've done these forms a million times but never came across this. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

eimaj18 wrote: »
    Ok, is it me or is the Employment Record all over the gaff! Is Emp. No.: 1 meant to be your current/most recent or your very first role? From the instructions it should be your current, but when I put in my next one, it moves down, so Emp. No.: 2 is above Emp. No.: 1. Anyone else having the same problems? Should I just type these in from first role to current? I've done these forms a million times but never came across this. :eek:

You're grand. That's just the way the form is. Consider it as No1 is your first job since leaving school/college and so on. So the higher number will be your most recent

Hi, I was considering applying for this role. I met the qualifying criteria (over 2 years in service) and have on occasions managed a team/office when required, I am a CO.

I would like peoples advice, I left school at a young age and had a terrible experience. It put me off education. I now find myself looking at the application form and I have nothing (apart from Junior Cert) into the qualifications section. I am currently enrolled in a level 5 course and will hope to complete it by March.

I have completed numerous courses, but mostly in-house related to my current role. I believe I have the skills and can give very good examples using the STAR analogy.

My lack of qualifications has put me off applying in the past, I cant see anything on the information booklet that states I NEED to have a level 7, level 8 etc..

What I am asking really is, would you apply in the same circumstances or will my application be disregarded straight away?

Thanks in advance.

Annie

Absolutely go for it. I dont think there's any academic restrictions on applying for a HEO position. It's not a graduate role like an AO.

Just emphasis that you are developing yourself. Also maybe add that you are planning on doing a degree in Public Management in the Institution of Public Administration (check out their site). Panals love candidates who develop themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

carnie wrote: »
    You're grand. That's just the way the form is. Consider it as No1 is your first job since leaving school/college and so on. So the higher number will be your most recent

Thanks a mil. It worked itself out (or made a bit more sense to me!) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Hi, I was considering applying for this role. I met the qualifying criteria (over 2 years in service) and have on occasions managed a team/office when required, I am a CO.

I would like peoples advice, I left school at a young age and had a terrible experience. It put me off education. I now find myself looking at the application form and I have nothing (apart from Junior Cert) into the qualifications section. I am currently enrolled in a level 5 course and will hope to complete it by March.

I have completed numerous courses, but mostly in-house related to my current role. I believe I have the skills and can give very good examples using the STAR analogy.

My lack of qualifications has put me off applying in the past, I cant see anything on the information booklet that states I NEED to have a level 7, level 8 etc..

Thanks in advance.

Annie

Go for it!! Absolutely nothing to lose by doing so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Anniearenyouok

Thanks all I decided to throw my name in the (very big) hat!

I sent my application and received the confirmation email from PAS.

When I went to check my PDF form was correct I cant seem to open it! it say's need to download adobe (which I have) does that mean I will have to redo it and contact PAS? :(

Got sorted, apparently I dont have the most up-to-date adobe reader. PAS very helpful.

Not a great start

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭eroc79

Thanks all I decided to throw my name in the (very big) hat!

I sent my application and received the confirmation email from PAS.

When I went to check my PDF form was correct I cant seem to open it! it say's need to download adobe (which I have) does that mean I will have to redo it and contact PAS? :(

Not a great start

When I open my pdf, I need to right click and specify open with Adobe otherwise it tries to open with the wrong version.

The 300 word count is a pain in the botty

Definitely. I have them all in and around 300 words, with maybe 1 or 2 that have a few extra words here and there. Nothing too drastic, I think the longest one is 305 words. They'd hardly disqualify you over an extra couple of words, would they?

It's bizarre that the employment section is limited but the competency boxes aren't.

Just got my application in. Such a process to get to here alone. Best of luck to everyone. So next will be the online tests. something to look forward to ;)

caarp wrote: »
    Just got my application in. Such a process to get to here alone. Best of luck to everyone. So next will be the online tests. something to look forward to ;)

Can't wait :p

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

What are the online exams like for this? Is it the same set up as the EO ones?

Definitely. I have them all in and around 300 words, with maybe 1 or 2 that have a few extra words here and there. Nothing too drastic, I think the longest one is 305 words. They'd hardly disqualify you over an extra couple of words, would they?

It's bizarre that the employment section is limited but the competency boxes aren't.

What do you mean by limited? I had 7 employments and extensive descriptions in each of mine. Maybe it just wasn't loading fully for you? Have you gone back in to check?

Hopefully you will get an opportunity to fill them in adequately at an interview.

Purpletoes wrote: »
    What are the online exams like for this? Is it the same set up as the EO ones?

Yeah I think it's the Cut-E style.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Yeah I think it's the Cut-E style.

The Cut-E style?
    Eh.. Can you please explain?

Delighted that's over and done with and submitted.
    To be honest, it was one of toughest application I've ever had the pleasure of completing.
    Please God I've done enough.
    Good luck everyone.

• Advertisement

The Cut-E style?
    Eh.. Can you please explain?

I've seen examples before where there are a number of tabs with various information. Answers to the questions are found under the various tabs. It can be time consuming finding the right tab with the answer in theses tabs.
    In the EO tests, there's a paragraph on the same page with all answers to a number of questions are found in said paragraph.
    Happy for someone to correct me or explain better.

What do you mean by limited? I had 7 employments and extensive descriptions in each of mine. Maybe it just wasn't loading fully for you? Have you gone back in to check?

Hopefully you will get an opportunity to fill them in adequately at an interview.

I ran out of space with the word limit in every one of my employment sections

So did I - I spent more time editing my form then anything else.

Well that's very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I’ve been Googling practice exams and I’m just wondering if there’s any point? Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of them?

I’ve done the last three EO exams (twice as applicant once as practice) and always get top 100 in Dublin and 30 in Cork but I’m conscious that it’s a big jump up between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

I’ve been Googling practice exams and I’m just wondering if there’s any point? Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of them?

I’ve done the last three EO exams (twice as applicant once as practice) and always get top 100 in Dublin and 30 in Cork but I’m conscious that it’s a big jump up between the two.

It's always worth practicing. I recommend that people pull out paper 1 of a pass maths leaving cert paper and run through that for things like ratios, %, fractions etc.

In addition to this, have someone run through some unusual topics in magazines where you have no idea what it is that they're talking about and have them set questions.

Finally, do the same with the Irish times.

All practice is worthwhile and while the questions in the actual exam may be more difficult, the practice will provide you with a methodology of thinking and processing information quickly and accurately.

Take the brief test below based on my reply above. True/False/cannot say

Q1. The Irish times is a useful resource when doing any exam.

Q2. Cramming before an exam is a useful way to remember facts.

Q3. The HEO exam is more difficult than a pass leaving cert paper.

Q4. Reading other newspapers is not worthwhile.

Q5. Going through articles where you don't understand the topic is a useful tool in providing you with a methodology of doing these tests.

There was a note at the top of Section B stating that each competency responses should not exceed 300 words.

There was a note at the top of Section B stating that each competency responses should not exceed 300 words.

I had another look at my application form. Seems I doubled up on a paragraph on one of the sections, was an oversight on my behalf.

I am hoping it won't go against me as it brings me over the 300 words. I found the form itself poor in its layout and structure.

I had another look at my application form. Seems I doubled up on a paragraph on one of the sections, was an oversight on my behalf.

I am hoping it won't go against me as it brings me over the 300 words. I found the form itself poor in its layout and structure.

The layout is very bad. I typed everything up in word to ensure the word count and edit the layout and copied it across to the pdf form once I was happy.

• Advertisement

The layout is very bad. I typed everything up in word to ensure the word count and edit the layout and copied it across to the pdf form once I was happy.

Ditto. Just when i went back in to view, seems i doubled up on one paragraph, done now hopefully that's overlooked lol

Advertisement