Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Let me push that stool in for you: the off-topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Zaph wrote: »
    I was in a bar in Sardinia once where the beer was served in dog bowls. Bloody hipsters. :mad:

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Didn't know soup bowls were going to be the next big thing in glassware:

I use a similar shaped glass sometimes, that perfectly fits a 330ml can.
    Can't see much of an issue with it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Effects wrote: »
    I use a similar shaped glass sometimes, that perfectly fits a 330ml can.
    Can't see much of an issue with it myself.

330ml can sideways?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Effects wrote: »
    Pictures or it didn't happen.

I tend not to take many photos I'm afraid, so can't help you out there. I do remember they had a decent selection of beers though, and that one of my friends had a rauchbier from her bowl. As a non-craft beer drinker that was a bit of a shock to her system. :D

Zaph wrote: »
    I tend not to take many photos I'm afraid, so can't help you out there.

I think a beer served in a dog bowl is worth documenting, if only for the people that won't believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Brickyard in Dundrum has just launched its own online shop: Yards & Crafts. Prices look a little more competitive than Craft Central, with the same €5 national delivery.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Brickyard in Dundrum has just launched its own online shop: Yards & Crafts. Prices look a little more competitive than Craft Central, with the same €5 national delivery.

Looks great, local to me too so can go in for growler and cans. They don't have much in the way of storage as far as I'm aware so I don't think their selection will match up to the likes of craft central. Maybe they'll expand but it'll be hard to do once the bar reopens

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That hybrid style piques my interest, though.

As someone who loves bitter (well, balanced) hoppy beers, but hates NE style IPAs with a passion, I wonder if this hybrid would suit my palate?

Any other examples of this kind of thing?

That hybrid style piques my interest, though.

As someone who loves bitter (well, balanced) hoppy beers, but hates NE style IPAs with a passion, I wonder if this hybrid would suit my palate?

Any other examples of this kind of thing?

Nope.
    Didn't enjoy this at all.
    Very much NE ipa, to my taste.

Enjoyed Western herd blue jumper, though.

Nope.

You'll have to wait another few years before the NEIPA style popularity starts to die off I reckon. Same with the IBU/bitterness wars. I remember drinking Stone Arrogant Bastard years ago and having the same thoughts you have about NEIPA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You'll have to wait another few years before the NEIPA style popularity starts to die off
    Here's what's going to replace it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »

Surely just a DIPL then?

irish_goat wrote: »
    Surely just a DIPL then?

Sounds like an own brand cheap IPA.
    You know the type, lacking in body, a bit bitter.

Innovation should have stopped when I got tired of new styles!
    Around 2016, I reckon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

So this "cold IPA" ... Is it basically a dry, hoppy lager?

So this "cold IPA" ... Is it basically a dry, hoppy lager?

But stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Techno is now easier to pigeonhole than IPAs. Who'da thunk it.

Lough Gill Lost Armada is going down well in a West Coast kind of way right now.

But I can't help feeling that NE has somehow influenced new IPAs, even the self titled west coast ones. IPA is getting less bitter, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Fullers IPA and Shep Neame are good options for bitter ipas imo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Used to be able to get those in the supermarkets. Haven't seen them around for ages though.

• Advertisement

For me, I'm afraid, Shep Neame aren't a good option for anything except maybe an Irish stew.

I find them particularly bland.
    Fuller's I always likes a lot more.

My tastes would be more towards US/modern style IPAs

Used to be able to get those in the supermarkets. Haven't seen them around for ages though.

I was looking at them both in a local offie today

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was looking at them both in a local offie today

There was a Next Door off-licence I used to go to every now and again in Ennis that always had the Shepherd Neame stout and IPA. Alas, it would hardly be an essential journey at the moment! :D I remember enjoying their 1698 a long time ago when I was first dipping my toe into the world of beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Proper Job is a good, bitter IPA if you can get it down south. £1.70 a bottle in Sainsburys, decent value.

Nope.

Just had the Voyager NZ and I thought it was interesting. Looks and tastes like NEIPA but a nice level of bitterness on the back end you don't usually get with NEIPA. Not something I'd go looking for again but nice all the same

Proper Job is a good, bitter IPA if you can get it down south. £1.70 a bottle in Sainsburys, decent value.

yeah it's in SuperValu for a good price usually

lovely beer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tesco have it and veyr nice it is too. Used to be in their 4 for €10 deal, not sure what it is now but more than €2.50 no doubt :rolleyes:

One of my favourites, Guinness West Indies Porter went from 4 for €10 in Tesco to €3.20 each!!!! €2.60 in Dunnes.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

For me, I'm afraid, Shep Neame aren't a good option for anything except maybe an Irish stew.

I find them particularly bland.
    Fuller's I always likes a lot more.

What are people's opinion on Shepherd Neame double stout?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is there any way to buy Bernard dark lager in Ireland?

Foley's off-licence in Sligo don't have it anymore.

Any online seller in Ireland?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    What are people's opinion on Shepherd Neame double stout?

I used to really love it when I could get it. I think the Red Hen was the only bar in Limerick that ever had it in the fridge, maybe Mickey Martin's for a little while, but I'd get it any time I passed through Ennis before lockdown. The Next Door off-licence there usually had it in stock.

Advertisement