Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Rum/Ron/Rhum are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

irish_goat wrote: »
    I've not had the Killowen rum yet but on a basic level, it works out at €100 for a 700ml bottle. That's a lot of money for a young bottle of rum, particularly from a distillery not known for it's rum making.

Oh, it's silly money, no question.
    Very nice, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Was lucky enough to have met some Americans who knew their rum last year in Mexico - enjoyed some Appleton Estate and El Dorado.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Was lucky enough to have met some Americans who knew their rum last year in Mexico - enjoyed some Appleton Estate and El Dorado.

I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject trying to work out a decent one to grab over the next while and of the ones you can get in Ireland, Appleton's stuff seem to be the ones to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yep, my wife is a bit of a Rum drinker and always has a bottle of Appleton's knocking around

she goes bananas for Haitian rum though, which is pretty thin on the ground over here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Anyone tried Blacks of kinsale golden rum?

Any feedback?

• Advertisement

Selection of rum available in Cork is absolute pants. Even in Bradley's.
    The only bottle there that I might want is abuelo 12 for around the €60 mark.
    Spotted a Plantation 5 yo in No.21 for €83, iirc?
    That's just outrageous.

BTW, I'm not questioning these shop's mark ups, rather what is available to them and at what price.

I wish that the prediction I've been hearing for decades that "rum is the next big thing" would come true and we might actually have some selection and competition.

I'd buy the abuelo if they took one 4 all cards, though.

limnam wrote: »
    Anyone tried Blacks of kinsale golden rum?

Any feedback?

I've only had the spiced stuff and as spiced stuff goes, I thought it wasn't bad. Kinda rough but in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭grizzcol2

got a bottle of Rumbullion from Celtic Whiskey Shop - lovely spiced rum - best i've tasted so far

Oh, and if you haven't tried Espresso, rum and butter (with a little sugar), you haven't lived.
    Proper, strong espresso, a little knob of butter and a small splash of rum.

Colour me intrigued, not sure how I missed this on first reading.

I do like a "corrected" coffee with some grapa.

Rum and butter......is there a particular/type brand of rum that this works well with?

I have to be honest it sounds horrific but also something that could be amazing :D

Mocka pot espresso? or just normal pulled espresso ? talk to me beer :D

Colour me intrigued, not sure how I missed this on first reading.

I do like a "corrected" coffee with some grapa.

Rum and butter......is there a particular/type brand of rum that this works well with?

I have to be honest it sounds horrific but also something that could be amazing :D

Mocka pot espresso? or just normal pulled espresso ? talk to me beer :D

Any golden rum will do the trick.
    I have an espresso machine at home but a moka pot would do the job, too.
    Even if you don't normally take sugar in espresso, put a little bit in.

• Advertisement

Made my first Rum purchase outside Havana.

First bet placed is on Flor de Cana 25 Year Old Centenario

Will be coming out tonight after dinner.

Flor de Cana are a very solid brand in my experience.
    Not had the 25 yo.
    Expensive?

Flor de Cana are a very solid brand in my experience.
    Not had the 25 yo.
    Expensive?

120e from Celtic Whiskey, I couldn't find it anywhere else.

Just an update on this.

I don't know why I didn't expect much complexity from rum as I had no real reference point. But I was very surprised how complex it was with a really nice finish, on the finish the only beef i'd have is you would expect it to linger a bit longer for something that costs 120e

Everything is very well balanced as one of my fears was it would be too sweet.

I generally find whiskeys other people say are "smooth" to be fairly boring. But this was very "smooth" in a very drinkable way.

I had it straight and also as a "desert" with a small amount poured over pineapple.

The box and bottle are really beautiful

Looking forward to try a few more now to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭grizzcol2

folks - apart from the celtic whiskey shop is there any other place in ireland that has what might be considered a good range of rum to select / buy from ? (now that its harder / more expensive to purchase from uk)

grizzcol2 wrote: »
    folks - apart from the celtic whiskey shop is there any other place in ireland that has what might be considered a good range of rum to select / buy from ? (now that its harder / more expensive to purchase from uk)

Not that I've seen.
    Even Bradley's in Cork which is a fantastic off licence has, imo, a very poor selection of rum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Celtic Whiskey have a tasting with Saison Rum for sale. Details below.

Join us in April for a virtual rum tasting with Saison Rum! This tasting pack features samples of the Saison Pale Rum, Saison Rum, Saison Reserve Rum, Saison Sherry Rum, Saison Trinidad 7 Year Old Rum and Saison Barbados 5 Year Old Rum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Drinkstore used to have a better than average range - I wouldn't know exactly what you may want to judge now

Trying some Doorleys XO Rum tonight.

Cazale wrote:

Enjoyed this one. My previous experience of rum is limited to Bacardi etc. Drank it neat and it was very smooth. Matured for at least six years and finished in sherry casks. Nice heat to it and lovely dark fruits from the sherry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

grizzcol2 wrote: »

The Vineyard in Belfast has a good selection. Can't see their shipping info though.

https://www.vineyardbelfast.co.uk/search?q=rum

• Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cazale wrote: »

Interesting Cognac \ Brandy and Rum seem to go for the XO labelling?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I've done a bottle by bottle.search on drink store before, but I don't recall the rum selection being that wide.

I came across a few bottles on james fox when I was looking for cigars.

I don't know enough to know if any of them are of interest

https://jamesfox.ie/collections/rums

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'd really like another bottle of Cacique 500, but it doesn't seem to be stocked anywhere.

I keep seeing ads for Spain-based retailers offering it for 20-25 euro, which would be a good price depending on shipping, even factoring in paying customs and excise.

Has anyone ever done it that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tesco have reductions on Havana Club:
    * Havana Club Anejo Especial Rum €24 (save €5)
    * Havana Club 7 Year Old Dark Rum €33 (save €7)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd really like another bottle of Cacique 500, but it doesn't seem to be stocked anywhere.

I keep seeing ads for Spain-based retailers offering it for 20-25 euro, which would be a good price depending on shipping, even factoring in paying customs and excise.

Has anyone ever done it that way?

Is it a place called gourmet en casa per chance? I ordered a bottle of Brugal through them last year, only after they gave me a ups tracking number that didn't exist did I look up their trust pilot score to see a load of people complaining that they never got their order and couldn't get any response from the seller. I wrote the €25 off at that point but strangely enough it actually turned up about a month later. I wouldn't go near them again though.

I've been drinking Gosling's Black Seal since that bottle of Brugal ran out which I'm finding a pretty decent substitute, I can get it down the road in Dunnes too.

That's great to know about Gosling's. I find rum a minefield so I'm always wary about dropping money on it for fear of disappointment.

I'll pick that up on my next trip to St Bernard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They sell it in Cornelscourt but not in the Dunnes next to me so might only be in the places with a big off licence.

• Advertisement

They sell it in Cornelscourt but not in the Dunnes next to me so might only be in the places with a big off licence.

Herself works on Pottery Road so she can swerve in to the Mothership on the way home some everning.

Advertisement