Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

All this talk that Ray gets a hard time here is laughable. I know at least the criticisms I made are justified, I've spoken about his technical ability because on a daily basis he uses the studio equipment incorrectly "stop stop eject eject". His whole interviewing technique is sh!t he never has direction its always full of ehs and ahs and he's constantly talking over and interrupting his guests.

He is supposed to play devils advocate when speaking about a subject and be unbiased, he can never do this its always his opinon is the right one so he has to shout over everybody until its the only one allowed to be discussed on air. He could learn a lot from Matt Cooper.

I also find his arrogance reprehensible and a prime example of that would be the Seinfeld interview. I understand Ray has his support but I challenge anybody to listen to that excuse for an interview and find fault with anybody but D'arcy. I really wouldn't mind the poor technique as I expect nothing more at this stage but he used every opportunity after that to lay the blame for its awkwardness at Jerry Seinfelds door.

Another thing thats mentioned here is his Constant turning of every interview into a chat about his children. I always find that both boring and at this stage embarrassing.

I could go on but Janey Mack, I just looked out the window and...... it looks like today could be summer so better get out and enjoy it ;).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I don't normally let myself get worked up by D'Arcy these days, but have to say he was infuriating this morning.

While talking about the Harry Potter conference in UL (ignoring the fact he broke embargo, which is further example of his lack of professionalism) he proceeded to hop on his little moral pedestal, saying "I hope no taxpayers money is going to this. Not one cent!".

Then finished of the show by saying "*siiiiiiigh* We'll have to have someone from that conference on, and they'll HAVE to put forward some serious justifications for it."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

ignoring the fact he broke embargo

What embargo did he break ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Shelflife wrote: »
    ignoring the fact he broke embargo

What embargo did he break ?

The embargo on announcing the event that they admitted to breaking in the next link. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I had such a heated debate about Ray D'Arcy with a radio dj today that I seriously considered writing an email to Today FM to properly complain about him and plead for them to reconsider this show, except I know it'd obviously make no difference, especially as I'm not one of his main listeners, a bored mammy crying over every mention of babies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Acoshla wrote: »
    I had such a heated debate about Ray D'Arcy with a radio dj today that I seriously considered writing an email to Today FM to properly complain about him and plead for them to reconsider this show, except I know it'd obviously make no difference, especially as I'm not one of his main listeners, a bored mammy crying over every mention of babies.

I'm curious what your issues with him are? Interviewing style? Technical ability? Etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

dulpit wrote: »
    I'm curious what your issues with him are? Interviewing style? Technical ability? Etc?

Yep...both of them and more that I've mentioned already in this thread so didn't want to go on about them again for fear of being given out to for being repetitively negative. Other issues I have with him I realise are my own opinion, too much kid/baby talk, condescending git etc, but the above two would be the main "legitimate" reasons I'm sick of him.

Edit: Actually I don't think you can call it a heated debate when we were both agreeing on all points about him! It was a heated conversation I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Acoshla wrote: »
    Yep...both of them and more that I've mentioned already in this thread so didn't want to go on about them again for fear of being given out to for being repetitively negative. Other issues I have with him I realise are my own opinion, too much kid/baby talk, condescending git etc, but the above two would be the main "legitimate" reasons I'm sick of him.

Edit: Actually I don't think you can call it a heated debate when we were both agreeing on all points about him! It was a heated conversation I suppose.

Aggressive agreement so?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Drinking game:-

One shot when he mentions his children.

One shot when he cannot use equipment.

One shot when he mentions the church.

"Shot" can refer to either coffee or alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I usually don't listen to Ray Darcy, but it came on after the news this morning as I was running late. What is wrong with him? A stream of vitriol out of his mouth, shouting and roaring "F OFF", "Would you ever F off" out over the national airwaves.

My toddler in the back seat listening to this....

The man needs to get a grip and control his language on air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

pwurple wrote: »
    I usually don't listen to Ray Darcy, but it came on after the news this morning as I was running late. What is wrong with him? A stream of vitriol out of his mouth, shouting and roaring "F OFF", "Would you ever F off" out over the national airwaves.

Does your radio not have an off button? Could you not change to Lyric fm & soothe your outrage before ringing the show & complaining? There is a broadcast complaints commission, you can fill out the form online if you are so morally outraged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

pwurple wrote: »

Did he say "F off" or the actual F word?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

he is really showing his ignorance right now with his interview with the "harry potter" conference person.

he cannot seem to understand that underlying themes can exist behind the storyline of a book!!!!

good help him if he ever read something like "to kill a mockingbird"... or "moby dick".. or "old man and the sea" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

sydthebeat wrote: »
    he is really showing his ignorance right now with his interview with the "harry potter" conference person.

he cannot seem to understand that underlying themes can exist behind the storyline of a book!!!!

good help him if he ever read something like "to kill a mockingbird"... or "moby dick".. or "old man and the sea" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously - couldn't believe what I was hearing. I know zero about Harry Potter and have zero interest in it.

She was talking about the themes in it and he was just "yeah yeah yeah" not listening, waiting for his chance.

Then he says something like "well that is just your interpretation of it. Those themes weren't there on purpose".

"They were" says she.

"No, they weren't, how do you know that?".

"JK Rowling says so."

"Ha, have you met her and she told you?" (what a terrible question)

"She has spoken about it, and said it in various interviews"

"Riiiiiiiight" .... half mixed with a sigh in there.

He asked her was there any government money gone in to it. Fareplay to her, she gave a great answer as obviously knew the question was coming.

He said goodbye to her in a real "Right, well, bye then" horrible insincere sort of way, and then muttered "<sigh> I don't know ...." before going to a break.

What a horrible excuse for an interview.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yep, but par for the course with him these days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kilnamanagh

I usually listen to the show when I'm in the car or around the house and often defended it against some of my friends who criticised it. But then, this morning I heard the interview about the Harry Potter conference, the ignorance and contempt he treated that woman with was something else. Fair play to the Dr Coilfi for keeping her cool with him, he tried his best to ruin that interview but she kept it on track, well, as much as she could anyway.

Would work well if you were in Oz where it'd be 11pm when you'd be listening! :pac:

What time was the interview about Harry Potter? I'm just curious to see how bad it was, although judging by the posts here I think I'll wait a bit to listen since it's not healthy to get so angry so early. :P

He read out a text at about 11:15 along the lines of "It's just a children's book, it's dangerous to be analysing the authors imagination like that"... I despair at people in this country sometimes... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's getting harder and harder to defend the show. I'd be the first to compliment D'Arcy on a good piece, but it really seems those are few and far between these days, and getting further and further apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Would work well if you were in Oz where it'd be 11pm when you'd be listening! :pac:

What time was the interview about Harry Potter? I'm just curious to see how bad it was, although judging by the posts here I think I'll wait a bit to listen since it's not healthy to get so angry so early. :P

He read out a text at about 11:15 along the lines of "It's just a children's book, it's dangerous to be analysing the authors imagination like that"... I despair at people in this country sometimes... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's getting harder and harder to defend the show. I'd be the first to compliment D'Arcy on a good piece, but it really seems those are few and far between these days, and getting further and further apart.

It's over for you now. I too used to be once like you, a fan of sorts but that was many years ago. The man that was Ray D'arcy an unassuming happy go lucky lad from Kildare has long since been consumed by his own ego, all that remains now is the arrogant opinionated self obsessed cretin that occupies his time slot.

Quite simply Ray has no interest in debating anything that differs from his opinion, instead he throws childish tantrums , makes condescending remarks or tuts and sighs without listening as his guest speaks.

Just admit to yourself you hate D'arcy and come to the dark side it'll stop all this self conflict inside you.

The show is tripe and in my opinon has no place on the national airwaves.

Janey Mack I'm sitting here at my kitchen table with tears streaming down my face thinking how depressing it is .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The rant about Enda & the government today was stupid and immature. They probably have the toughest job in the country, in the toughest climate, in the toughest conditions, and I see no issue with them getting a break (which is admittedly long). Even Ray gets a break every now and again from his show. Teachers get three months break. Private companies give generous breaks and working conditions to their staff.

A lot of the TDs do constituency work once the Dail stops.

They are far from perfect, but the way Ray goes on at times about it is just frustrating. Do something about it rather than sitting complaining, ranting and so on. We know your not a fan of FG/Lab, that's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Lelantos wrote: »
    Does your radio not have an off button?
    Pointless stupid lazy suggestion.

Remember also that the station is also played in public places such as shops and waiting rooms and the 'off button' is not an option for people who don't appreciate Darcys filthy mouth or don't want their kids picking up bad language. Bet Darcy would be pretty quick to get on his high horse if anyone started swearing in front of his precious ones.

There is a broadcast complaints commission, you can fill out the form online if you are so morally outraged
    Now that's a bit more constructive and one I would agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

LLU wrote: »
    Does your radio not have an off button?
    Pointless stupid lazy suggestion.

Remember also that the station is also played in public places such as shops and waiting rooms and the 'off button' is not an option for people who don't appreciate Darcys filthy mouth or don't want their kids picking up bad language. Bet Darcy would be pretty quick to get on his high horse if anyone started swearing in front of his precious ones.

There is a broadcast complaints commission, you can fill out the form online if you are so morally outraged
    Now that's a bit more constructive and one I would agree with.
    He said it was in the car, he was driving, its neither pointless nor lazy, read the post next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Don't forget one shot when he mentions 50 Shades.

Better make it shots of water. Alcohol we'll be plastered, coffee we'll be bouncing off the walls before 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

His whole attitude during that interview and before was total arrogance mixed with ignorance.

Just because Harry Potter is modern doesn't mean it shouldn't be studied. Conferences and discussions like what's happening in Limerick is probably how Shakespeare, Austen and the Brontes ended up on the syllabus. Could you imagine people 150 years ago saying we shouldn't be reading too much into what themes Jane Eyre had and what Charlotte Bronte meant in certain chapters.
    QUOTE=elviscostello;79887289]Seriously - couldn't believe what I was hearing. I know zero about Harry Potter and have zero interest in it.

She was talking about the themes in it and he was just "yeah yeah yeah" not listening, waiting for his chance.

Then he says something like "well that is just your interpretation of it. Those themes weren't there on purpose".

"They were" says she.

"No, they weren't, how do you know that?".

"JK Rowling says so."

"Ha, have you met her and she told you?" (what a terrible question)

"She has spoken about it, and said it in various interviews"

"Riiiiiiiight" .... half mixed with a sigh in there.

He asked her was there any government money gone in to it. Fareplay to her, she gave a great answer as obviously knew the question was coming.

He said goodbye to her in a real "Right, well, bye then" horrible insincere sort of way, and then muttered "<sigh> I don't know ...." before going to a break.

What a horrible excuse for an interview.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

Getting more convinced that ray really lives in a closet. Seems to know alot about womens underwear and emotions this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

neris wrote: »
    Getting more convinced that ray really lives in a closet. Seems to know alot about womens underwear and emotions this morning

I fail to see the relevance or indeed what is wrong with a man knowing about womens underwear.
    Welcome to the 21st Century :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

neris wrote: »

<snip>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

smaoifs wrote: »
    Don't forget one shot when he mentions 50 Shades.

flicking through the stations...

yep, check.

......yawn

little Ray is now asking listeners to stop on a Motorway to investigate an object

Stop on a Motorway? rays stupidity reaches a new grade.
    You must not stop or park on any part of the motorway unless your vehicle breaks down or you are signalled by a Garda to do so.

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/on-the-motorway.html

I knew this would get worse.

they are now asking listeners to stop on the Galway Dublin M6 and to take photographs of some road kill

Any idiot attempting this will hopefully be dealt with by An Garda Siochana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

my friend wrote: »
    I knew this would get worse.

they are now asking listeners to stop on the Galway Dublin M6 and to take photographs of some road kill

Any idiot attempting this will hopefully be dealt with by An Garda Siochana

This coming from a road safety ambassador or whatever he is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement