Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kit

• 22-01-2004 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Switches:

3x Marconi FORE ForeRunner ES2810
    24-port 100Mbit managed Layer2 switch
    Auto-MDI/X on each port
    2 expansion bays for ATM/Fibre/Uplink/Backplane ports or extra RJ-45ports
    Serial port for out-of-band CLI administration, Telnet over IP for in-band.
    Supports trunking, SNMP, VLANs
    es2810.jpg

1x Allied Telesyn AT8024
    24-port 100Mbit managed Layer2 switch
    Auto-MDI/X on each port
    1 expansion port for Gigabit Fibre uplink
    Serial port for out-of-band CLI administration, Telnet over IP for in-band.
    Supports trunking, SNMP, VLANs
    link
    at8024.jpg

1x Unex 2400
    24-port 100Mbit unmanaged switch
    Cheap enough, but get's the job done :)

U.S. Robotics USR2240 WAP
    802.11b ('g' draft spec)
    TI chipset

Servers:
    blackle.galwaylan.net (currently awaiting a replacement for the dead 30Gig Maxtor)
    Pentium 200 @ 225Mhz (75Mhz * 3x multiplier)
    96Meg EDO Ram running at 75Mhz FSB
    1x Maxtor 30Gig @ PIO2
    1x 1Gig Western Digital @ PIO2
    3Com 3c595 Vortex 10/100baseTx adapter
    3c900 Boomerang 10Mbps Combo adapter
    Creative SoubdBlaster16 ISA card w/o wavetable chip , built-in IDE/ATAPI CDROM controller
    pics
    services: IRCd, TeamSpeak, authorative DHCP, primary DNS, MRTG/SNMP stats machine, Apache/MySQL server

holler.galwaylan.net
    IBM Intellistation ZPro 6866
    PentiumIII Xeon 733Mhz
    768Meg PC600 2.5V RDRAM
    1x9.1GB U160 SCSI drive
    1x9.1GB U80 SCSI drive
    VooDoo3 3000 + TVOut
    Onboard Intel Pro100 100BaseTX NIC
    Debian Testing
    services: QW, Q3 servers, backup DHCPd, secondary DNS, ftp server for high-demand patches/mods etc.
    Future Upgrades: GigE card, some more hdds, 2nd cpu + VRM if I can find them cheap

binary.galwaylan.net
    Dual AMD Athlon XP 2400+, L5 bridge mod, 266Mhz FSB (effective) 133Mhz FSB x15, 2.0Ghz each
    MSI K7D Master-L AMD760MPX
    1GB Corsair PC2700 ECC Registered DDR
    Chieftec Blue Matrix Fulltower case + Chieftec 360W PSU
    Onboard Intel Pro100 100BaseTX NIC
    Intel 64-bit 66Mhz 1000BaseTX Server card (not quite working yet)
    120Gig 7200rpm 8meg cache UDMA100 hdd (os)
    services: every game server required, ftpd for general patches, upgrades etc., anything else we need to run. Possible tertiary DNS, some sort of fail-over for intranet.
    Future upgrades: 2x Thermalright SLK900As, lots of papst casefans, Fortron 400W psu, LSI MegaRAID 150-6 RAID5 6-channel Sata controller + hdds

All servers are running latest Debian Unstable, 2.6.10 kernel (optimised for each).

Cable:
    Have a metric shitload of assorted lengths (up to ~35') of CAT5e UTP and extension leads + surge/spike protectors.
    A UPS would be nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

we have 2 extra servers now.

Molly.galwaylan.net

PentiumIII 733Mhz 256 Cache
    256Meg PC133 SD-Ram
    8.1GB Ultra2 SCSI drive
    17.0GB Ultra2 SCSI drive
    Intel 82810 4MB Graphics card (Voodoo 3 3000 optional extra)
    Intel 10/100MB NIC
    services: QW, Q3, CS servers, ftp server for high-demand patches/mods etc .

Future Upgrades: GigE card, some more hdds, More Case Fans and extra ram.

Nothing is installed on this puppy yet, only got it housed in its new case yesterday.

officeassistant.galwaylan.net

Pentium III 450Mhz 256 l2 Cache
    256MB PC100 Ram (2 x 128MB sticks)
    8GB Western Digital IDE 5,400rpm HD
    ATI Rage 4MB AGP card
    Basic 10MB NIC

Services: Spare QW,Q3 Server, FTP server, Web Server.

This machine is a spare i go my hands on, I will more than likely be setting it up as a web server and see how she runs, I can test her at work for Game server usage.

Will throw up pics when i get my connection at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Thanks to eBay we should soon have a 3rd ES-2810 (plus an STM-1 155Mbit module, but that's beside the point).
    I've also ordered a second PIII Xeon 866Mhz cpu plus VRM for holler, along with another 9gig SCSI drive and 2x 256Meg sticks of PC600.
    Just need to get a 64-bit GigE card and the box will effectively be twice as powerful :)

Just to let yee know, Molly is being scraped aswell as the office assistant.

We shall be upgrading Molly to a Form Factor "Mini" type Case instead of the Large awkward one we have now.
    She will also be recieving a processor upgrade, Better Ram, more Storage Space and a better cooling solution.
    the reason for this is that by getting rid of the 2 older servers, we can have the same amount of Bang from this one machine, and it shall also conserve Space by being easily transportable.

I'll fill you in on it more If/When we get it, but at the moment I am 90% sure it shall go ahead.

Also,
    we pretty much got everything from ebay apart from the Xeon chip, so the other servers have been upgraded aswell.

Now, if only we could sort the GigE stuff and Raid Arrays

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

a fat GigE Cisco Catalyst would be lovely....

In reality:
    I reckoned I was getting shafted on shipping for the Xeon, and I was busy as feic so I let it slide.
    The guy selling the VRM was taking the almighty píss with shipping and price aswell.
    An 18Gig drive I bought 2nd hand off someone on boards was DOA.
    It was spinning up, making all the right noises, but the SCSI BIOS couldn't read the head/cylinder/sector info off it.
    I fiddled with it a bit, but haven't gotten it working yet.
    I haven't thrown it out, just in case :)

Just to let yee all know.

Ages ago (2 replies above" i told you of the molly scrappage. Well, i've been restricted for time and cash) we now have in our possession (Well, currently in galway and unopened)
    a brand spankly new Dell Server.

This was on eof the bargain dells that went, and what a bargain it was.
    Specs are:

Mini Tower
    Xeon 2.4Ghz 533 Cache CPU
    256 ECC DDR ram (Not sure of the speed, but i have a 512DDR 2700 stick in Dublin with me for this server so consider it 768Megs DDR)
    80GB IDE 7,200 Hard Drive
    Onboard Raid Controlller (In the apartment from the Molly box are the 2 SCSI drives (8GB and 17GB) aswell as their controller Card)
    Onboard GigE Ethernet controller (Yummy)

This is all the basics in the machine, the motherboard is capable of supporting 2 CPU's and with luck we may have another 2.4Ghz Xeon to fire into that machine.

so hopefully (All going well with myself as reguard work and college,currently have 3 more assignment to write up aswell as finish my current assignment which requires another 1,000words) we should have a Dual Xeon Server for the next lan.

As is always the situation, I'm hoping to piss off Syxpak with the set up of this so as to make Binary look like Girlpants of all the servers :D

Also, Johns looking for a GigE switch, I'll see what I can do, i recently acquired a bit of old tech (Voodoo 3 graphics cards etc) and if i could sell these along with the Raid card for the scsi drives we may be able to cough up the cash for the aformentioned switch, but thats a Mighty big *If* (Something akin to me telling the ladies i have the stamina of a migrating swallow :D )

So, you can now rest easy to know that GalwayLan has 3 Very nice servers and one oldskewl horse thats currently out pasturing.

• Advertisement

*Ahem*

Delivered Yesterday were the following

2 x Linksys SRW2024/UK managed 24 port gigabit switch with WebView
    Link

So galwaylan is officially a GigE lan.

The intranet site is working perfectly now and as soon as I get the 80GB HD back off a friend we shall have all files needed for gaming/drivers/tutorials available via quicklinks on the site aswell as stats pages and tournament sign ups.

Work is also being done on a dedicated Lan website.

Look forward to the next lan people, we promise it will only get better ;)

right, thought i'd post this.
    Been testing stewie since i got a new scsi cable for the drive.
    This is the first time it's been tested since getting it back from interlan chaps.

Find the uptime attached.
    No problems as off yet, will Run a few games servers off it and see what its like when i get some free time.
    also installed a 250GB SATA2 Samsung Spinpoint p120s in it so will be imaging the main drive to avoid any problem if it fails.

Right, the latest piece of kit that has been purchased for the lan has arrived.
    http://www.galwaylan.com/Files/Pics/DSCF0173.JPG
    56K'ers beware!

Its a PCI Geforce 5700le,
    The reason that I insisted on Purchasing it is down to problems that were had with one or two games about 2-3 lans ago. I've been trying to get it since then, but the problem was its only really sold in the US. It doesn't emit as much heat as the PCI 5200's and costs roughly the same for far greater performance.
    Dual heads on the card means we can run a projector off one with a page for Teams/Matches or league Table for the ALP without hindering performance.

The problems were down to one or two games back then which didn't have dedicated server executables so in order to load the game one had to go into the in-game menu, and since the servers cards are only bog standard 8meg version they generally did not support openGL. Now its my belief that if you have a server you should use it for all the games as it's built for it.

So there ya go, wasn't too expensive, but it does allow for alot of potential risks to be cut out.

The SATA card is currently not liking its drivers so i need to sort that out by the next lan, and from there Asok and Myself shall be imagine the current install on the machine before re-installing Windows and updating all the games etc aswell as the NEW ALP and extra stuff that we discussed at the lan meet.

realize that this hasn't been updated in a while so here it goes:

Yesterday we retired the services of our beloved Dual Xeon machine Stewie.
    It shall now be used on the Redbrick network in DCU to run some Club or Society. So long sweet prince, we shall always remember you! *Sniff*

At Present the LAN is run on the following hardware:

2 x Linksys SRW2024/UK managed 24 port gigabit switches
    3 x FORE runner 10/100MB 24 port switches
    1 x Dual core AMD Opteron™ 1216, 2.4GHz Server
    1 x Linksys WRT54G Wireless G access point, running DD-WRT firmware
    1 x Buffalo WZR-G300N, Stock firmware
    Many Power leads, 1 x 4 gang adapters, surge protectors, network cables etc
    Pints of Cider, Beer, Cola & a Plethora of Supermacs, Godfathers pizza and Vicount

We have 2 other servers that are used for now and again but they aren't needed for running the Games.

There are 3 Dedicated Admins for the LAN:
    Asok, Syxpak & Myself

There are also honorary members / former admins who help loads (muchly appreciated!!):
    Kharn
    Strat
    Sniipe

thats about it. If i forgot anyone / anything, sozzles etc

Advertisement