Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pension

• 12-05-2021 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I started my working life in the public service for 5 years and Paid into pension. I then left for public sector for 14 years and am back now working in the public service.
    Do I get theses contributions back at some point?
    Could I be intitiled to be on the old pension scheme?
    Can I count these years towards my pension?

I think the answer is no to all but am not 100%
    If anybody with more knowledge than me in this field could tell me it would be much appreciated?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ask your previous employers - you may have racked up years of service under the public service scheme, and retained benefits under the private scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

aldub83 wrote: »
    I started my working life in the public service for 5 years and Paid into pension. I then left for public sector for 14 years and am back now working in the public service.

You worked in the PS for 5 years, okay.
    PS = public service.
    You paid into a PS pension scheme, okay.

You then left the PS for the wider "public sector", which is often defined as commercial and non-commercial State and semi-state agencies.

So you went to work for the likes of An Post, RTE, etc., in the wider public sector.

I don't think the public sector pension (if any) can be merged with the earlier PS pension.

But the five years from the earlier time spend in the PS should be added to the time served in the current PS pension scheme.

You are probably in the Single PS pension scheme now?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭aldub83

Geuze wrote: »
    You worked in the PS for 5 years, okay.
    PS = public service.
    You paid into a PS pension scheme, okay.

You then left the PS for the wider "public sector", which is often defined as commercial and non-commercial State and semi-state agencies.

So you went to work for the likes of An Post, RTE, etc., in the wider public sector.

I don't think the public sector pension (if any) can be merged with the earlier PS pension.

But the five years from the earlier time spend in the PS should be added to the time served in the current PS pension scheme.

You are probably in the Single PS pension scheme now?

Yes in the single pension scheme now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

aldub83 wrote: »
    Yes in the single pension scheme now

Ok, so you have probably read this:

https://singlepensionscheme.gov.ie/for-members/scheme-information/

There must be something in there about transferring service from previous PS pension schemes?

Or, hold on, as the Single PS Pension is less generous, it may make sense to have a deferred pension benefit from the first PS pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

You can't transfer service into the Single Scheme. You probably have a retained benefit from the earlier scheme, check with the HR department in the area you were previously in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement