Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Investing in shares - are you making money?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

I'll never understand this take. If you think your profit will increase beyond €1270, why would you sell below it just to avoid paying tax. You still get €1270 plus 2/3 of all the additional profit beyond €1270.

It depends on your strategy. If it's a long term investment you can take 1270 every year with no tax liability, buy back straight after selling and thus reduce your tax liability whenever you eventually sell in the future. If you sell everything then you're going to have to pay tax

OEP wrote: »
    It depends on your strategy. If it's a long term investment you can take 1270 every year with no tax liability, buy back straight after selling and thus reduce your tax liability whenever you eventually sell in the future. If you sell everything then you're going to have to pay tax
    Look up bed and breakfasting rules before doing this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

OEP wrote: »

Yea they key here it to buy back in, taking money out breaks the compounding interest part of investing, better to reinvest that 1270 and have it working for you.

Also as an aside is the 1270 at an individual level or can i claim double when married, or should my wife open an account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Look up bed and breakfasting rules before doing this...

Thanks, never heard of that. Does it apply in Ireland? I can only find UK related stuff

Edit: I found it. That is good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Also as an aside is the 1270 at an individual level or can i claim double when married, or should my wife open an account?

You cannot claim double if married but your wife can open account and invest to avail her exemption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

In the past i have had a mixed bag of results.

Went with a more focused view last year. Currently i am spread with 1 share and 2 ETF.
    1. IRES is 22% of my portfolio and is up 19.35%
    2. Vanguard FTSE All-World High Dividend Yield UCITS ETF is 53% of portfolio and is up 9%
    3. VANGUARD FTSE DEV.EUROPE U.ETF is 25% of my portfolio and is up 5.54%

In a perfect world i want 5 items at roughly 20% of portfolio each but that is down the line. in the nearer term i may get the top 2 closer to get in portfolio size

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

had one of my best years in 2020 held a lot of tech AMD Tesla Apple and Amzn now have switched away to growth in opening up and hoping for a normalising now holding Bank of america, ABNB, Royal Carib Cruises, fedx and paypal.
    so far it hasnt been great 1st quarter hope for a positive round of earnings to kick off this trading year.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

Up from a 20% loss this time last year to a current 12% gain. Portfolio rallied and fell 10% over the last 2 weeks. Mainly a value portfolio with a few recovery stocks.
    Even though I would happily buy more of every stock I own, the more I read, the more I feel like investing in etf's going forward. I would want to be comfortably beating the market and have a significantly larger amount invested for the time and effort involved. Enjoyed looking at stocks when I had plenty of spare time over the year but long term I would be better off investing in myself and letting my money grow hassle free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I just started investing in stocks on degiro in january last year right before the crash. :rolleyes:
    I am down 12%

I started investing in cryptocurrency in July of last year - am now up 300%

I invested four times less of my savings into cryptocurrency than I did in stocks. My crypto is now worth twice my stock portfolio...

However, I fear the next year may flip my fortunes the other way (or both downwards...)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 tamova

I started last May with about 1000 euro and deposited 80ish % of my income every month since. It's fluctuated but I've profited around 7.5k (I think that's about 40% return, but I couldn't tell you) in 10 months. A few weeks ago that profit would have looked more like 10-11k.

I own a whopping 2 stocks (Square and Microsoft), I had one more which I sold for capital gains exemption. I've not sold any other stocks, they're all long-term holds, I don't trade.

I invested 2k in BTC in January this year, which has returned about 2k in profit.. which is fairly crazy lol. I took out 1200 euro of profit to reinvest in stock, but would like to gradually DCA in to some more BTC over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Updating that I started adding to my share portfolio by investing in various shares via De Giro back in May 2018. Steadily putting in €100 per month. Today is the anniversary of the start and it is now worth €5,002.

Nothing dramatic. Slow and steady wins the race, and all that. It could all be worth half tomorrow. Who knows and I guess that’s what “risk tolerance” is all about.

The same amount would have been chipped away at by inflation over that time if I’d left it on deposit so happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Used to trade years ago and stopped in 2016. Started up on degiro last June and currently up 15.5% overall. Crypto up 260% since 2018. Still HODL.

I don't do REIT, SPAC or GME/AMC plays or Margin. Nowhere near smart/knowledgeable enough to do that. BUT, I do gamble (and I use that word carefully) on growth stocks.

I started on Degiro in June 2020 when KBC slashed my special interest account from a heady 1.5% interest per annum to approx half that. It'll either be the best thing a bank has ever done for me or...

It's been a HUGE learning experience one could never learn in a lecture hall.

First of all my biggest mistake (listening to my wife :D ) It was before Christmas and I was swing trading GEVO (partially out of boredom) and sold with the intention of buying back (to gain some shares without adding capital). My wife came into the room and asked if I wanted to wrap presents. The timing couldn't have been worse and by the time I got back to it the price had jumped (not much, but would have lost shares if I'd reentered, which would have annoyed me). Over the next days/weeks it rocketed and if I had held to the top (I wouldn't have) I'd have made approx half a million euro before tax !

I'm currently up €23k paper profit, but this week alone that was €16k and briefly mid €30k.

I do a lot of DD before buying, and cannot recommend my trading "strategy". In the next few weeks I could make hundreds of thousands of Euro (or more) or lose €10s of Thousands.

I'll update here as to which it is :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I'm a very small scale investor. Small basket of shares (AIB, Glanbia, Dalata, Band of Ireland). Invested €7200 ever the past year, current value €12,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Degiro user since Dec 2019, up 242% overall. I got in before Covid was really a thing that was being talked about and was wondering what the hell was going on when everything I had slid back in March 2020.

Took a deep breath and realised I was only messing about diversifying with the small amount I had. Some of my picks were up 40% in a week. A whopping €80 profit. I mean if something you put time into goes up 40% you should be celebrating.

So I sold all the 2 and 3 hundred positions and went all in on two weed stocks. Sold off and bought back in. Eventually built myself up to about 3k and put that in to two uranium miners around the Oct mark. I've now started putting money in every month to add on dips and add more companies within the same sector, just diversified geographically.

So far so good. Can't last I know. But I'll learn and come out of it richer and wiser or poorer and wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Happy to report that my long term investing has gone reasonably well...

One way or another, I've been investing for about 25 years, and I'm up.

Granted, I haven't always picked winners, and I rarely get involved in the quick buck schemes, where people might flick in and out of a small cap stock, in the space of a few days. That's not to say that I've never done it, or that I don't buy small cap companies on occasion, as I do.

I'm happy to say that I've done a lot better than if I'd left the money in a deposit account over the last 25 years, instead.

The starting point is to figure out the basics:

- what you want,
    - what your time horizon is to achieve what you want,
    - what you are prepared to risk losing, while attempting to get what you want.
    - whether you are after regular cashflow from dividends, or you are hoping for more capital growth by forgoing regular dividends

Be realistic, and be honest with yourself, when answering the above :)

If you are looking for a get rich scheme, you'll probably be better off doing the lottery, or a bit of online gambling.

Then start doing some research....

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Have dabbled in the stock market ever since I graduated college. However, it's only since I joined Degiro that I have started to invest properly (Started in Jan 2018).

Try to be diversified (typically 20-30 stocks at any one time). Am diversified, but "tech-heavy".

So far:
    2018 - up 4% (was up 25% at one stage but lost it all in the crash that Autumn).
    2019 - Up 28%
    2020 - up 68% (was down about 30% at the trough in March, but it bounced back brilliantly for me)
    2021 - As at today, just breaking even (have been up ~10% 3 times, but then it falls back to zero!)

Overall profit over the 3 years in the several tens of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Trading since 2015 with Degiro
    Am up 30% despite a couple of smaller companies going bankrupt in that time. Wasn't making a lot until I invested a chunk a couple of years back. Figured it was doing feck all sitting in the bank & Credit union so I went for it.

Am in Crypto since 2017, early years were a write off but am up about 40% currently.

My investing has followed a pattern. I invest, if something collapses I sit on it for as long as possible. If I have confidence in the share I will double up to try and get my BEP as low as possible. Gradually the good shares come back up. If I learn my lesson, I'll sell off a small percentage when its green.

The influx of Robinhood, Revolut, Reddit fueled investment has removed all stability from the markets. Hard to just look at the technicals any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DanT88

I doubt anyone here will give you honest figures . There are people who may read this thread and just want to cheat you. My opinion is that there is no money to be made in the stock market. You can argue with me and not believe me. But let's take a look at the growth chart of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies together . Amazing, isn't it? I personally took out a loan and invested in several different Coins . Bitcoin , Etherium and a few other cryptocurrencies . I want to tell you that you can read about the loan here . If you have a basic understanding of economics and you understand how to calculate simple and compound interest, I think that you will have no problem earning on any market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

DanT88 wrote: »
    I doubt anyone here will give you honest figures . There are people who may read this thread and just want to cheat you. My opinion is that there is no money to be made in the stock market. You can argue with me and not believe me. But let's take a look at the growth chart of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies together . Amazing, isn't it? I personally took out a loan and invested in several different Coins . Bitcoin , Etherium and a few other cryptocurrencies . I want to tell you that you can read about the loan here . If you have a basic understanding of economics and you understand how to calculate simple and compound interest, I think that you will have no problem earning on any market.

This is up there with the most idiotic posts I've come across on boards.

Cannot make money in the stock market?
    Loans to invest in crypto?

You cannot actually be serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I dont like this post. Seems like enticement into borrowing to invest in crypto. Not a fan of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

This is up there with the most idiotic posts I've come across on boards.

Cannot make money in the stock market?
    Loans to invest in crypto?

You cannot actually be serious?
    I dont like this post. Seems like enticement into borrowing to invest in crypto. Not a fan of it.

Exactly my thought. Anybody borrowing to fund their gambling needs serious help.

Links to a US loan site, is your man for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

The main thing is not to waste time on crypto
    I personally took out a loan and invested in several different Coins . Bitcoin , Etherium and a few other cryptocurrencies .

Hmmmm

Advertisement