Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LEO

Options
  • 06-05-2021 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Is it worthwhile getting advice and mentoring from the local enterprise? Or could anyone recommend a service to help build on a business idea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭myNewName

2 fast wrote: »
    Is it worthwhile getting advice and mentoring from the local enterprise? Or could anyone recommend a service to help build on a business idea

Yes! It’s excellent and it’s free! There’s a good few questions to answer (at least there is in my local one, they all differ slightly in setup) and they match you to someone most suitable to what you’re after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

I'd agree - it's well worthwhile.

The Leo offices are also very good for helping with grants, business plans, loan applications, introductions etc.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You can find your local office contact info here. Getting into the LEO system can be useful as you can find out about grants (e.g. Trading Online Voucher - €2500 towards website) and heavily subsidised training courses.

Each LEO will have a panel of different mentors with different backgrounds and perspectives - and quality of mentoring.

I recommend you ask about the different options available. Some of them are listed on their website, so check it out and see if you can do a bit of research.

Not every LEO charges - though IMO they should. Some of the mentoring arrangements are longer term than just a one-off meeting, particularly where there's a period of implementation for some kind of program (e.g. Lean Strategies).

I'd also recommend you do a "start your own business" course if you can. This will cover a lot of basics, and some things you probably didn't know (it did for me). In normal times it's also great for networking, having a support group of people at the same stage can be useful.

(Source: I'm a mentor with several LEOs)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I did a start your own business course with them years ago for my first business (which ofc does not exist now) but the skills I learnt on that course were invaluable. It cost a very small amount of money to do it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MrGaryFox

It's free and can lead to grants and other financial benefits.

It would really depend on what you want them to do for you though to answer the question properly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement