Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I wanted pasta..i had none except a rake of lasagne sheets in the cupboard. I cooked them slightly to cut them into strips but it didnt quite work,needed a bit longer cooking. Hence, pasta shards!
    If i had cooked them a bit longer it would have worked

This cracked me up :pac: :pac: :pac:

I was trying to think of a word i could describe them as other than "bits" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You could've gone all fancy and called it "Mandilli de Saea" or Silk Handkerchief Pasta which belief it or not is a thing

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You could've gone all fancy and called it "Mandilli de Saea" or Silk Handkerchief Pasta which belief it or not is a thing

Ah damn, that would have totally worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Chana Aloo (Chickpea and Potato) Masala with naan bread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Jambalaya :)

20210416-185417.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

PARlance wrote: »
    Chana Aloo (Chickpea and Potato) Masala with naan bread.

That naan looks good! How'd you make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

I was working late and got a Donal Skehan recipe email so when I came home I made a few ''Smashburgers'' In my haste I left my phone in work (No Harm) so no picture but worth the small effort !
    https://donalskehan.com/recipes/smashburger-feast/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Some from the last few days.

Meatballs served the traditional way with tagliatelle! Tried an Instant pot recipe they were really good, kids loved them. And quite quick bar the shaping of the meatball!

550401.jpg

Homemade Beef burgers and sweet potato chips.

550402.jpg

And the easy option of battered cod, chips and mushy peas. Should have done another portion of fish and I was out of tarter sauce :(

550403.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ish66 wrote: »
    I was working late and got a Donal Skehan recipe email so when I came home I made a few ''Smashburgers'' In my haste I left my phone in work (No Harm) so no picture but worth the small effort !
    https://donalskehan.com/recipes/smashburger-feast/

They look great.

Donal Skehan is the one TV chef that I absolutely cannot stand.

I think I finally ran out of patience with him when he was on the telly one night microwaving a bag of rice as part of his recipes.

There's a recipe on his website for potatoes and sausages. In case you ever need to look up a recipe on how to cook potatoes and sausages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

He's not the only one, but he's definitely toward the top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

awec wrote: »
    They look great.

I think I finally ran out of patience with him when he was on the telly one night microwaving a bag of rice as part of his recipes.

There's a recipe on his website for potatoes and sausages. In case you ever need to look up a recipe on how to cook potatoes and sausages.

He never worked in a professional kitchen. He's essentially a face for TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

He never worked in a professional kitchen. He's essentially a face for TV.
    But in fairness he can cook and is chatty for the camera, Thats all the TV lords want.

dmc17 wrote: »
    That naan looks good! How'd you make it?

Thanks, have tried a few variations and this was by far the best result, surprisingly simple receipe; 400g 00 Flour, 240g Water and 8g flour makes approx 6 naan. I brushed half with wild garlic butter once out of the oven and left the other half plain.

I used my ooni but you can use the oven up to max with the grill/broiler on.

Video might be handier for method;
    https://youtu.be/sH99_IGh0ic

awec wrote: »
    They look great.

I fully acknowledge that I've a very unhealthy hatred for him. It just can't be helped, I'm afraid.

I'd be fairly quiet and would keep my feelings to myself.... Queue my wife getting me his book with recipes in it one Christmas. The marriage hasn't been the same since :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm not a particular fan of any TV chef but I just cannot understand they hate that most of them generate amongst many people.

Personally, I think it's the food that matters most. I accept that most viewers and TV producers seem to think that personality, lifestyle and looks are more important than the food.

With regard to DS, the bits of his shows that I've seen usually leave me thinking that the recipes would be tasty and would work. I'd eat his food.

PARlance wrote: »
    Thanks, have tried a few variations and this was by far the best result, surprisingly simple receipe; 400g 00 Flour, 240g Water and 8g flour makes approx 6 naan. I brushed half with wild garlic butter once out of the oven and left the other half plain.

I used my ooni but you can use the oven up to max with the grill/broiler on.

Video might be handier for method;
    https://youtu.be/sH99_IGh0ic

Thanks. I have an Ooni, so no excuses! :D

dmc17 wrote: »
    Thanks. I have an Ooni, so no excuses! :D

I didn't weigh out the balls but I imagine I got 5 at ~110g... Didn't use rolling pin method, just shaped and stretched as with a pizza... found the dough very easy to work with and got them nice and thin at about 12inch.

Keep an eye on them in the Ooni, I flipped them over after about 20 seconds and they were done in less than a minute.

Pizza.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Be right back

Chicken rendang curry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Angus burgers and steak cut chips

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pizzas - with lots of garlic mayo for my crusts :)

20210417-190006.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm not a particular fan of any TV chef but I just cannot understand they hate that most of them generate amongst many people.

Personally, I think it's the food that matters most. I accept that most viewers and TV producers seem to think that personality, lifestyle and looks are more important than the food.

With regard to DS, the bits of his shows that I've seen usually leave me thinking that the recipes would be tasty and would work. I'd eat his food.

It's actually the opposite and that's why I can't stand him.

Skehan is on the telly cause of his personality, his looks and the fact he's young and hip. He's not on it cause he's some genius with a saucepan.

The boy band thing didn't work out so he realised he could make a few quid being a face on the telly instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have made many Skeehan recipes during lockdown and I cannot complain. Some superb dishes. He can cook.
    I don't care where he learned, he will always be much better than me and can teach me an awful lot.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Meatloaf, 2:1 beef:pork mince, inverted on to a tray and glazed to get a crust copying a food Youtuber. I massively underseasoned the mix, so the crust was excellent and the inside quite bland - learning experience at least.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

L1011 wrote: »
    Meatloaf, 2:1 beef:pork mince, inverted on to a tray and glazed to get a crust copying a food Youtuber. I massively underseasoned the mix, so the crust was excellent and the inside quite bland - learning experience at least.

Try using pork sausage meat in place of the pork mince. The seasoning is mighty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You made me look at Donal's website now, he lives in LA. Knew he as known in the US but not like that, jeez, he really did strike it big.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Long way from being in a flop boyband!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Rotisserie chicken on the gas grill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

You made me look at Donal's website now, he lives in LA. Knew he as known in the US but not like that, jeez, he really did strike it big.

Yes, similar to Rachel (don't mention the son or father in law) Allen, it's all about the TV image :mad:

Advertisement