Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anything like peleton in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

GalwayBmw wrote: »
    One thing came to my mind after ordering Echelon - which might be worth considering before the purchase. You pay once off price for getting the actual bike, Echelon is cheaper alright, but let's be honest it'll never meet Peloton in terms of the look & quality. But again it's a once off thing.

On the other hand monthly subscription fees for both bikes are quite comparable, so on a longer run them not your bike cost will become your main expense. Having this in mind it might be worth considering Peloton as long as you can absorb its initial cost and get the bloody thing delivered to Eire
    :D

Warranty is automatically void if you even manage to get it to Ireland, hardly worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭topdecko

eastie17 wrote: »
    Is it similar setup to the Peleton? Live and recorded classes?
    Have you used the Peleton? wondering how you feel it compares if you have. Thanks

Not used the peloton. Only have nordictrack to compare to and it is so much better than their complicated muck.
    Using echelon app at moment and have access to live and recorded classes. Trainers are good and you definitely go hard in the classes- loving EDM workouts get the spirits up.

I tried to pair with peloton app but you don’t get metrics and therefore you can not push yourself based on leaderboard or metrics. So I have gone for the 2 year membership and £25 a month fee for that time but paid in a lump sum. Bit of an outlay but sorted for next while. Getting 2x 20 min sessions about 5/6 days a week. Wahoo ticker as well for HR at 50€ so plenty of metrics to help me on my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

I’ve been scouring the Internet for anything to do the job for 400-800.. slim pickings. Originally ordered a Citysports CS8 from Fruugo.ie €389 but then found the CS10 from Evercross.eu for €299. Turned out to good to be true because they don’t delivery to Ireland now cuz of Brexit.

Currently on a Proform upright exercise bike but want something less upright. 800 is definitely the upper limit so the Echelon Connect would wanna be bullet proof. Anyone tried the Proform Tour de France?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

For 15% off on Echelon products through Wrkit https://wrkit.jdmproducts.com/?brand=ECHELON use 7BJC-WMKC

They have some similar to Peleton bikes, out of stock atm but could phone them and check when they'll be in. For one of them the ETA is Jan 2021....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭wassie

Good review video covering a few of the popular alternatives to Peloton if you want to use the Peloton Digital App.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m20r9DSKKk

Note that the Schwinn IC4 is sold in 110V markets (eg US) and sold as the IC8 in 220V markets (eg UK).

Just search youtube for 'Peloton Hack' and you will get endless instructional videos on cheap alternative setups.

Also at the lower end with good reputation is the JLL IC300 Pro with magnetic resistance and 20kg flywheel (similar to Joroto X2 in video above) - currently £440 on backorder with Amazon although was £280 this time last year - 57% increase!

Anyone buying an indoor exercise/spin bike (like most home gym equipment) at this point in time is going to be paying a 'pandemic premium' due to a combination of high seasonal demand, stock shortages and lockdown.

Many suppliers are currently out of stock but are expecting to be restocked over the next month or so due to global shipping constraints due to covid.

If you are prepared to wait for a few more months, I would expect some serious discounts as demand drops off and suppliers seek to move excess stock heading into a potential covidless summer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't use it myself, because i don't have a turbo trainer, but the GCN+ subscription seems to come with a lot of instructor led training sessions. i don't know how many are actually live though, but i think they do do them.

Narrowed it down to Proform CBC vs Echelon Connect..

Proform €799
    €100 cheaper plus 1 year iFit
    Auto-changing resistance
    Runs on batteries
    But, does not link to Apple health

Echelon €899
    Better build quality, quieter
    Enclosed flywheel safe with kids
    More comfortable height
    But, €40 a month for full app and manual resistance changing

Decisions decisions. Such a bummer that these bikes are $385 and $499 in the States!

Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nadz74

Has anyone ordered the schwinn IC8 from fitness superstore uk since brexit ? And if so did u get charged import duties
    Thanks
    Nadine

dinneenp wrote: »
    For 15% off on Echelon products through Wrkit https://wrkit.jdmproducts.com/?brand=ECHELON use 7BJC-WMKC

They have some similar to Peleton bikes, out of stock atm but could phone them and check when they'll be in. For one of them the ETA is Jan 2021....

Did anyone successfully order? I keep getting “strong customer authentication required”

Anyone sign up for the echelon app, want to create a virtual family?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Any recommendations for an indoor bike compataible with zwift and kinomap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Were these all recalled yet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

FFVII wrote: »
    Were these all recalled yet?

It was the treadmills that were recalled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Any recommendations for an indoor bike compataible with zwift and kinomap?

Unfortunately the better spin bikes - Keiser are not compatible with Zwift unless you spend more on power pedals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

huh, colour me surprised.

Peloton's $3,000 treadmill now comes with surprise 'subscription fee'
    Peloton has now introduced a $39.99 monthly subscription fee for its high-end treadmill product line called Tread+.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/technology/pelotons-3-000-treadmill-now-comes-with-surprise-subscription-fee/.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

huh, colour me surprised.

Peloton's $3,000 treadmill now comes with surprise 'subscription fee'
    Peloton has now introduced a $39.99 monthly subscription fee for its high-end treadmill product line called Tread+.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/technology/pelotons-3-000-treadmill-now-comes-with-surprise-subscription-fee/hah.

I thought you always had to pay a monthly sub to use their equipment?

i've fixed the url in my post btw, i managed to get some of my own comment in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The whole appeal to these is the social aspects, why wouldn't you be paying the subscription? At least that's what people keep saying to justify buying these yokes.

€40 a month, madness.

i was reading that they come with a 30" TV - but they will not display anything except peloton content. so you can't even stream a TV show or anything like that to them when running. you either access peloton content or nothing.

Crocked wrote: »
    I thought you always had to pay a monthly sub to use their equipment?
    you do to access the programs or instructor led courses i think, but some of the other functionality was available without subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

For the bike you had to pay the sub to access most of it with limited free access.

Looks like they had a basic just run option for the threadmill. In order to stop their poor design from killing and inuring people, they are now charging their customers a monthly fee to lock the threadmill out from accidental activation. Jaysis.

Its amazing how profitable and successful a company they are given their abysmal PR/customer service

Crocked wrote: »
    Its amazing how profitable
    they're not making that much profit, they only started making money in the second half of last year. perhaps that's another reason for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

(Refreshed this thread as it has the most information on the pro\cons)

Just to note that the Peloton bike has dropped in price by £400 today, which makes it tad more accessible. If you still within your 30 day window, you can get the cheaper price. No news on the Bike+. Peloton have also said that they will be opening an office in Cork so Ireland MAY be covered by a warranty soon.

I don't work for them or anything but I thought it was interesting news, and I read this thread a lot when I was considering what bike to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Could anyone recommend which one of these bikes would be suitable for a beginner, and going forward? All seem possible to get delivered here, but it seems from browsing through this thread there may be some issues with warranties or delivery. - Schwinn seems to be mentioned a bit in this thread.

I was looking at something like this initially, but it seems there is way more to an exercise bike than I thought.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08H28MCS1

seems like peleton have not been having a good week; i understand they'd signed a product placement deal with the new 'sex and the city' series, but were not told their product would be used in a storyline about the death of a major character. they had a **** fit about it, and within a day or two, a video had been shot with said actor on a peleton in an 'I'M STILL ALIVE' skit, and within another day or two, there were some serious allegations levelled against said actor.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/16/1064978410/peloton-pulls-ad-chris-noth-sexual-assault-allegations?t=1639957339972

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It was also mentioned on the newest curb your enthusiasm

I still don't get it. It's a spin bike with a screen attached. At first I thought maybe it had some smarts in that it would adjust the resistance for you, but it looks like you have to do that yourself. From a technical point of view, the bikes from the likes of Wahoo and Tacx are vastly superior, they just lack the hype and marketing off the Peloton bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I don't know about the community spins in Wahoo or Tacx but that's the main draw of Peloton- live classes, seeing the trainer, competiting, getting up the leaderboard etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

As far as I know the live spin classes are the only thing people care about, certainly not worth importing a €1,500+ spin bike that isn't sold here. Plenty of social aspects, racing and training with Zwift and the like. I have family, friends and neighbors on my Strava. You're covered in all aspects in virtual cycling with an indoor trainer plus you'll have a bike that can go outside or be sold on easily if you wish. There's plenty of spin videos online you can follow, you just won't have an online trainer patting you on the back when it happens.

To each their own but it sounds like a pretty big stretch to justify Peloton, especially at €40 a month. In saying that, I'm speaking as a cyclist. The whole thing just doesn't make sense to me when there's so many options with indoor cycling. I just found out you can cycle around in Grand Theft Auto 5 on PC with a turbo trainer so I'll be giving that a go.

• Advertisement

I haven't tried it but Bkool now have a fitness app that connects to your smart trainer or dumb trainer with a speed and cadence sensor. The app has indoor spin classes so that could be a good option for those who don't want the peloton.

Advertisement