Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Homebrew wine storage - plastic 5L water bottles?

• 15-02-2021 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing the answer to this is a firm no, but thought it was worth asking - would it be feasible to store home brewed white wine in empty 5L water bottles of the kind you can buy in the supermarket? I got myself a wine kit before Christmas but royally screwed up in that I mistook a 23L kit for a 5L demijohn kit, and my issue is that I don't have 30 empty screw top wine bottles - and even if I did, storage would become an issue as the cupboard I use for beer bottles isn't tall enough for wine bottles.

I was curious as to whether I might be able to get around this using empty large plastic bottles - would this ruin the taste or vastly reduce shelf life, assuming I store them in a cold, dark place such as a cellar?

And if this idea is indeed a non-runner, does anyone have any other suggestions for how to package a finished wine kit apart from having to source 30 empty bottles and try and deal with storage issues?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd say the plastic option is fine, it just won't keep as long as it would in glass. Pay attention to the best-before date on the water bottles: that's an indicator of how long you can expect it to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

you would be fine temporarily storing the wine in 5L containers until you could transfer to bottles that you are trying to source.

Advertisement