Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anything like peleton in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭nilhg

For anyone who fancies something like the peloton/spin class experience with third party equipment it might be worth having a look at Bkool

https://www.bkool.com/en/fitness

I see there's a free trial and you can take part with just a HRM or cadence sensor

I haven't used this part of Bkool myself but have used the cycling sim, which works quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PhilipCNolan

As its the time of year that people often look to purchase high end home gym equipment...I would just like to share my experience / story...for any prospective purchaser.

Purchased NordicTrack S22i Exercise Bike Jan 2020 for 2700 euros. Initially worked fine and was getting used to it. Due to COVID started WFH and walked dog alot as weather was good.

Tried to use one day around May - didn't work. Called Elvery's ......just directed me to customer support based in UK. I'll say no more about Elvery's.....never again!!!
    UK support decided parts had failed and would ship replacements....these arrived late October.....service engineer then tells me wrong parts....so I get back onto ICON-UK Customer support and they now advise will be 12 weeks before parts received.
    In short cost 2700...failed after 8 hours use and will be nearly one year before its fixed!!!

My advise....DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FOR Elvery's as they don't support afterwards and avoid NORDICTRACK Brand Gym Equipment......it's Garbage. I'm an Electronics Engineer with over 30 years experience....so have a good idea what I'm taking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

As its the time of year that people often look to purchase high end home gym equipment...I would just like to share my experience / story...for any prospective purchaser.

Purchased NordicTrack S22i Exercise Bike Jan 2020 for 2700 euros. Initially worked fine and was getting used to it. Due to COVID started WFH and walked dog alot as weather was good.

Tried to use one day around May - didn't work. Called Elvery's ......just directed me to customer support based in UK. I'll say no more about Elvery's.....never again!!!
    UK support decided parts had failed and would ship replacements....these arrived late October.....service engineer then tells me wrong parts....so I get back onto ICON-UK Customer support and they now advise will be 12 weeks before parts received.
    In short cost 2700...failed after 8 hours use and will be nearly one year before its fixed!!!

My advise....DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FOR Elvery's as they don't support afterwards and avoid NORDICTRACK Brand Gym Equipment......it's Garbage. I'm an Electronics Engineer with over 30 years experience....so have a good idea what I'm taking about.

Sale of Goods Act springs to mind. the Product you bought is not fit for purpose. If it was me i think id contact Elvery's and demand a refund and ask them to take it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭yourhero

Has anyone managed to install the Peleton app on an IPad or Android device?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

yourhero wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to install the Peleton app on an IPad or Android device?

yes, you need to change store to the UK first, then install and then change back to the irish store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭topdecko

You need to return the bike to Elverys and get a full refund. I bought an s15i from Gymgear in August. It worked for about 4 weeks and then developed this awful grinding noise in the bottom bracket area. I sent the seller and ICON videos etc and initially they were on about repair and again giving me a ridiculous time frame - the seller put pressure on them and they agreed to a replacement which was delivered by a separate company who hold the courier contract from ICON.

Amazingly the replacement bike then failed with the bit that holds left crank on just coming loose when pedalling. This happened 2 hours after i had set it up. Also the buffering was plainly silly and most workouts on the new bike were interrupted and would not start again meaning had to stop the spin session.
    Gymgear were excellent throughout and have offered a full refund. The bike will hopefully be collected this Friday and i will avoid ICON products in future. Would however not hesitate to use Gymgear as they were solid.

THERE IS NO WAY you should accept a 12 week time frame to repair a product that will likely fail again. I would demand a full refund of Elverys as your contract is with them. Do not get distracted by the bizarre aftersales set up that Nordictrack employ where ICON are the ones who do the repairs/ customer has to organise with them etc. These bikes are fraught with issues and i have read multiple threads on American forums of people left with a load of junk in their sitting rooms due to their poor consumer protection. Go back to Elverys and demand your rights under Sale of Goods and services act - your contract is with Elverys.

As the bike broke in the first 6 months it will be presumed to be defective when purchased
    "If a fault arises within the first six months of purchase, it is presumed to have existed at the time of delivery and it is up to the seller to prove otherwise or provide remedies. After six months, the consumer may be requested to show that the lack of conformity (eg, a hidden defect) already existed at the time of delivery. The seller should first offer a repair or replacement (liaising with the manufacturer if necessary) and provide this free of charge. If this is not possible or fails to correct the problem, then the consumer may request a refund."
    They have failed to repair it in a timely fashion and they must refund you. Do not take no for and answer and threaten them with small claims court.

IMHO there are multiple design flaws with these bikes - but then again the two that i have owned for a brief time both lasted less than a month and 2 hours in one case.

Anyone on here used Echelon bike at all?? Keen to get Peloton like bike but not arsed with Zwift setup as kids would wreck it the blink of an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

One other product to consider is the Wattbike Atom Nucleus.

It’s a top of the range unit, similar to the peloton, and is probably angled slightly more towards the outdoor cyclist who wants to perfect their technique over the winter.

Both are based on giving wattage outputs and give plenty of stats.

My friend recently ordered one and it was delivered in circa 2 weeks via Cavan. It doesn’t need a monthly subscription a la peloton...

Having said all that, I find my peloton absolutely fantastic. (Both systems have FPT tests to set your power zones,) the classes are additictive and the instructors really push you, without you almost realising it, until you see your final post ride stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The bike + peloton / les mills etc. app combo is a definite option.

As well as watt bikes, I would suggest looking at a keiser m3 - approx €2k so similar price point to peloton but you are not tied into the peloton sub, and the app is cheaper though without some functionality of the full peloton experience.

I also see expert leisure in Ireland have the freemotion coach bike which looks great too and uses the ifit app.

https://freemotionfitness.com/cardio-machine/coachbike/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

have ordered the schwinn IC8 - planning to set it up on peloton app

any one have any experience with this particular bike / app combo?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What did I call it...a load of w@nk? Something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Wouldn't be her biggest fan, prefer Ally Love, Emma Lovewell and Dennis..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭narmst

My x22i (almost €3k) from McSport failed after 4 hours of use first week of September.
    Was promised a replacement or repair October, November and now looking like January sometime. Have requested a refund and should be getting one soon (told them it was going legal if I didn’t get a refund by year end).
    There’s a forum on Facebook ‘victims of Nordictrack’ which seems to indicate control board issues with customers waiting months for repairs and Nordictrack/ICON sending out three or four replacement control boards.
    It’s a fantastic machine with the ifit and incline but until they make it stable and get the customer support together I’d be wary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

how are people getting on. Can anybody recommend a good set up - what bike and app are you using, contemplating getting involved but somewhat difficult to get any kind of decent spin bike? thanks

My schwinn ic8 finally arrived just before xmas. Have been using it for a week now with Zwift.
    Really like it. Did a fitness test and have started a training program to improve my fitness. Its quite addictive so far but will confirm whether I have positively addicted in a month or so
    Bike is good quality, couple of issues which are mostly related to the pedals which are sub standard. Everything else is great (so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

willabur wrote: »
    My schwinn ic8 finally arrived just before xmas. Have been using it for a week now with Zwift.
    Really like it. Did a fitness test and have started a training program to improve my fitness. Its quite addictive so far but will confirm whether I have positively addicted in a month or so
    Bike is good quality, couple of issues which are mostly related to the pedals which are sub standard. Everything else is great (so far)

Can I ask where you bought it?

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    Can I ask where you bought it?
    Fitness superstore in the uk

So after a debacle with nordic track i got one of the Echelon X3 from DID about 3 weeks ago.
    Very pleased with bike thus far
    - simple set up
    - pairs effortlessly with ipad via bluetooth
    - very responsive in terms cadence and resistance
    - excellent live classes and large library of on demand

cons
    - £39.99 per month or £24.99 if you sign up for 2 years. Cheaper than peloton but still a big outlay.

Overall though is so much better than nordic track both in terms of bike working and no IT issues buffering etc.
    I am using it loads and getting 2 sessions in most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Is it possible to get a peleton bike shipped to ireland anyone know? I see they have a treadmill now also.

zweton wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a peleton bike shipped to ireland anyone know? I see they have a treadmill now also.

Unfortunately not (though I think some people earlier in the thread managed to get some kind of courier - dont know how). Best bet is to get an NI address - maybe even find a cheap airbnb to get it shipped to, if youve no relatives up there, and then drive it down. Will be a problem though if you want to finance it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GalwayBmw

Unfortunately not (though I think some people earlier in the thread managed to get some kind of courier - dont know how). Best bet is to get an NI address - maybe even find a cheap airbnb to get it shipped to, if youve no relatives up there, and then drive it down. Will be a problem though if you want to finance it

spoke to their rep recently - they won't ship to NI in the near future neither. ended up with buying Echelon in DID, which I'm quite happy with (well, apart from its saddle :)).

Anyway around the saddle part

I would not get a Peloton shipped from UK/Ni address - your warranty is automatically voided once you take into Republic. People on forum have done it but is risky should something go wrong with the machine.
    Echelon works well. If saddle causing issues then just replace it with another saddle that is more comfortable for you.
    Going to sign up to Peloton app and use with EX3 bike - is only 12.99 a month.

topdecko wrote: »
    I would not get a Peloton shipped from UK/Ni address - your warranty is automatically voided once you take into Republic. People on forum have done it but is risky should something go wrong with the machine.
    Echelon works well. If saddle causing issues then just replace it with another saddle that is more comfortable for you.
    Going to sign up to Peloton app and use with EX3 bike - is only 12.99 a month.

How are you finding the echelon? Had been looking at that one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Ciarachino

Also very interested in hearing feedback on the EX3! I have been looking at this model too! Thanks.

Ciarachino wrote: »
    Also very interested in hearing feedback on the EX3! I have been looking at this model too! Thanks.

Hey! What are you thinking? Seen any comparable models? Tempted on this one.

very happy with Echelon EX3. Ordered from DID and delivered 2 weeks later - this was after Xmas so may be quicker now.
    easy set up, app is excellent but a bit pricey.
    clipped in pedals and you can really push yourself - leaderboard system means always something to aim for ie squeeze out a few more watts to get ahead of donkbiscuit from Maine who has been your nemesis for this 30 minute session. Not a fanboy for Exchelon but very happy in comparison to the misery with nordictack and their hyper complicated set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

very happy with Echelon EX3. Ordered from DID and delivered 2 weeks later - this was after Xmas so may be quicker now.
    clipped in pedals and you can really push yourself - leaderboard system means always something to aim for ie squeeze out a few more watts to get ahead of donkbiscuit from Maine who has been your nemesis for this 30 minute session. Not a fanboy for Exchelon but very happy in comparison to the misery with nordictack and their hyper complicated set up.

Is it similar setup to the Peleton? Live and recorded classes?
    Have you used the Peleton? wondering how you feel it compares if you have. Thanks

Ordered last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GalwayBmw

One thing came to my mind after ordering Echelon - which might be worth considering before the purchase. You pay once off price for getting the actual bike, Echelon is cheaper alright, but let's be honest it'll never meet Peloton in terms of the look & quality. But again it's a once off thing.

On the other hand monthly subscription fees for both bikes are quite comparable, so on a longer run them not your bike cost will become your main expense. Having this in mind it might be worth considering Peloton as long as you can absorb its initial cost and get the bloody thing delivered to Eire
    :D

Advertisement