Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmaceuticals rip-off, courtesy of the government

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Every medicinal product is licensed specifically in Ireland. It's not just OTCs.

I checked the HPRA site and the only Beclometasone nasal spray licensed in Ireland is Beconase. So there doesn't appear to be any generics registered here, and therefore available. I don't know what your pharmacist is talking about.

Also, it's the holder of the licence that requests the dispensing status - it has to be agreed by the HPRA of course, but if the brand leader is OTC you can be sure that the generic licence holder will also want an OTC licence. If this isn't available, then it hasn't been licensed. The government don't control this.

With respect to the cost of licensing medicines in Ireland, Ireland is very reasonable in this regard. For instance to register a generic of Beconase in Ireland would be €10,200. The same registration in the UK could be ~£9K or as much as £25K, depending on the data.

So the cost to register here is about 13 times as much as in the UK, factoring in the market size. I don't know what my pharmacists knowledge base is, I was just relating what she said.

The government is always in control of the costs of these things. We are in the EU, a supposedly common market, there is no logical reason to not just accept the licencing elsewhere in the EU, rather than reinvent the wheel for such a tiny market.

Of course doing that would require fewer public servants, so we can't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

The generic is called Nasobec & is approximately the same price as OTC Beconase, so I don't know what your issue is.

Source: I'm a Pharmacist

The generic is called Nasobec & is approximately the same price as OTC Beconase, so I don't know what your issue is.

Source: I'm a Pharmacist

Is Nasobec available OTC?

You don't see a problem with a generic costing the same as the formerly proprietary?

My problem is being prevented from purchasing the generic version of an OTC medication from the UK that is one fifth of the price of Beconase in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

cnocbui wrote: »
    Is Nasobec available OTC?

You don't see a problem with a generic costing the same as the formerly proprietary?

My problem is being prevented from purchasing the generic version of an OTC medication from the UK that is one fifth of the price of Beconase in Ireland.

It's not, it's cheaper. The difference is made up due to a dispensing fee charged by the Pharmacy.

It's not, it's cheaper. The difference is made up due to a dispensing fee charged by the Pharmacy.

Sounds like a line straight from 'yes minister'.

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

― Upton Sinclair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Can we have a situation where if it is approved/licenced for the EU / UK, then it is automatically approved for Irl?

I want a situation where Tesco can automatically, and with no Govt regulation, sell whatever they sell in NI, down here.

Geuze wrote: »
    Can we have a situation where if it is approved/licenced for the EU / UK, then it is automatically approved for Irl?

I want a situation where Tesco can automatically, and with no Govt regulation, sell whatever they sell in NI, down here.

Of course we could. Have you ever caught a plane too or from Ireland or driven a car? Well AFAIK, the Irish government doesn't require every model of plane using an Irish airport, to be certified in this country, and the same with cars on Irish roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

So the cost to register here is about 13 times as much as in the UK, factoring in the market size. I don't know what my pharmacists knowledge base is, I was just relating what she said.

The government is always in control of the costs of these things. We are in the EU, a supposedly common market, there is no logical reason to not just accept the licencing elsewhere in the EU, rather than reinvent the wheel for such a tiny market.

Of course doing that would require fewer public servants, so we can't have that.

The reason for this I read before is that people in different European countries have different reactions to different drugs.

I always thought that a central European system would be best until I read the fairly detailed paper on it, though a joint irish / uk system probably would be a good idea.

Maybe a pharmacist could provide more information?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

Darc19 wrote: »
    The reason for this I read before is that people in different European countries have different reactions to different drugs.

This sounds interesting, have you got a reference?

paddy19 wrote: »
    This sounds interesting, have you got a reference?

It was a discussion on radio. Either newstalk or rte1.

Fairly indepth and made sense when you thought about it.

But can't give any link.

This story mentions the issue
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/3355040/spain-bans-brit-and-irish-tourists-from-buying-common-painkiller-after-the-deaths-of-ten-holidaymakers-caused-by-genetic-peculiarities/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I always thought that a central European system would be best until I read the fairly detailed paper on it, though a joint irish / uk system probably would be a good idea.
    Maybe a pharmacist could provide more information?

In light of EU intrastate migration that seems a bit questionable... would an Irish gp or pharmacist know not go give a Pole a particular med?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    In light of EU intrastate migration that seems a bit questionable... would an Irish gp or pharmacist know not go give a Pole a particular med?

I'm not a medic nor have any knowledge in field

Put this into Google and it will give more detailed information

CH Topic E 5 (R1)
    Ethnic Factors in the Acceptability of Foreign Clinical Data

I'm not a medic nor have any knowledge in field

Put this into Google and it will give more detailed information

CH Topic E 5 (R1)
    Ethnic Factors in the Acceptability of Foreign Clinical Data

That document seems mostly aimed at global populations and characterises the broad ethnicities being referenced as Black, Caucasian and Asian. Only one of these is really applicable to Europe so this document is not supporting a genetic or ethnic differention within Europe that would warrant not having a pan European drug certification regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That document seems mostly aimed at global populations and characterises the broad ethnicities being referenced as Black, Caucasian and Asian. Only one of these is really applicable to Europe so this document is not supporting a genetic or ethnic differention within Europe that would warrant not having a pan European drug certification regime.

I can't imagine in the US or Australia for example, doctors considering whether someone is of Irish, Greek, German, Polish, Italian ancestry differently in prescribing meds... I have never heard of anything along those lines.

Whether they are Cauacasian, Asian, Black sure.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,810 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's funny when the best reference which can be found to back up a proposition is The Sun.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement