Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New swimming pool Castlebar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

tomoliver wrote:
    is there a problem with irish water not being paid to fill the pool

No they are using a council dumper to bring the water from the old pool to the new. But it keeps spilling because of the potholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭tomoliver

i heard the pool is leaking and they cant keep it topped up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭irishgeo

tomoliver wrote: »
    i heard the pool is leaking and they cant keep it topped up
    Surely not.

The levels were supposed to be wrong. Maybe its spilling over the side. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The February opening date is looking dodgy now.....

Which February?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dudda wrote: »
    Which February?

I was told last week in the old one that they were moving end of Feb (this year :)).

So whats happened now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Terminal 2

Has the pool been filled?

I saw the council dumper parked up outside the old pool so presumably it is?

6th of March is the latest date I have heard

Terminal 2 wrote: »
    Has the pool been filled?

I saw the council dumper parked up outside the old pool so presumably it is?

Pool is filled and ready since August 2018. You can see photos and info about a tour I got in this post a few pages back.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108419385&postcount=34
    6th of March is the latest date I have heard
    At this rate we should start making it compulsory for people posting opening dates to add the year!

Had a tour of the new pool a couple of days ago. I think it looks great.despite what has been mentioned by some here.
    The facilities are streets ahead of what they are replacing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Needles73

Had a tour of the new pool a couple of days ago. I think it looks great.despite what has been mentioned by some here.

It would want to look great having cost over €11 million. Disgrace it’s not open yet. Contractor and council have made a right mess of it. Hopefully it will finally open in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I've subscribed to this thread since I re-regged.

I keep waiting for the post that says - popped into town today, had a great swim while herself went round Dunnes, great facilities.

Not really setting a high standard with what you're comparing it to. You need to be comparing it with other recently complete and opened swimming pools, not something from our parents or some cases grandparents era.

Dudda wrote:
    Not really setting a high standard with what you're comparing it to. You need to be comparing it with other recently complete and opened swimming pools, not something from our parents or some cases grandparents era.

Ok then. Fair enough. I thought it looked very well in comparison to the modern pools I have been in around the country and beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ClaptonBay

We're coming close to the end of Q1 now - any sign of it opening? Heard there's no management company in place which is causing the delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    We're coming close to the end of 11 now - any sign of it opening? Heard there's no management company in place which is causing the delay?

New pool due to open the end of March with the offical opening April 1st...

Hopefully, I've seen the movement (Andy's gym) posting a few videos of the kit out for the gym with the teaser 'coming soon'....coming soon has been going on for 2 years at this point :D

Skippette wrote: »

Is that date for real? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Purgative wrote: »
    Is that date for real? :)

Ironically yes, lol

Just repeating what I was told ;)

Ironically yes, lol

Just repeating what I was told ;)

Mayococo great sense of humour.

My understanding is they've sold tickets to a ladies triathlon which is taking place on the 31st March around Lough Lannagh which the swimming part is to take place in the new swimming pool. Not sure if the Facebook link below will work but it's the 'Try a Tri' ladies triathlon if you google it:

https://www.facebook.com/castlebartri/photos/a.2002527420074616/2268099010184121/?type=3&eid=ARCF3GTWZ2PnTWRUvjccl6xcfzpf31jjZjFEP4qntxGTuw4JpdTgP9pXh-pNIfd0TVOF4_RNU81opy7H&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBhu2bticqChcThUMREeiUQL9qUFIc5Jaqxuc2jhHnhO9MY_XgMcxouzZXINLTe39qzOGrwSg2_dX2kEP6g8eeGWExtGEWx5IZi4bDz48afz08ZjVoFmFjAY346OX8zCU0xznVcQD3BTL2dXkGkTkb9pOZTy1Io97DBpOZwYu40dPPCUVnBxjvgqBVf3pBmbLStuDAFYgxXlovNhFSlw01VYo1RVaDCeU77g-wuFmdUuJmyiPLbiZj23KM-tz0WgoGXWoOqyB5lbLYbj-wMN4eatE7Yhho29BhAn_WLn4Lb61E3AnMc8AN86nxonCmsN0iO2GKQrGKSbL04sn6scUQsyHv5&__tn__=EEHH-R

If they miss this deadline they'll have to swim the lake before running and cycling laps of it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dudda wrote: »
    My understanding is they've sold tickets to a ladies triathlon which is taking place on the 31st March around Lough Lannagh which the swimming part is to take place in the new swimming pool. Not sure if the Facebook link below will work but it's the 'Try a Tri' ladies triathlon if you google it:

https://www.facebook.com/castlebartri/photos/a.2002527420074616/2268099010184121/?type=3&eid=ARCF3GTWZ2PnTWRUvjccl6xcfzpf31jjZjFEP4qntxGTuw4JpdTgP9pXh-pNIfd0TVOF4_RNU81opy7H&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBhu2bticqChcThUMREeiUQL9qUFIc5Jaqxuc2jhHnhO9MY_XgMcxouzZXINLTe39qzOGrwSg2_dX2kEP6g8eeGWExtGEWx5IZi4bDz48afz08ZjVoFmFjAY346OX8zCU0xznVcQD3BTL2dXkGkTkb9pOZTy1Io97DBpOZwYu40dPPCUVnBxjvgqBVf3pBmbLStuDAFYgxXlovNhFSlw01VYo1RVaDCeU77g-wuFmdUuJmyiPLbiZj23KM-tz0WgoGXWoOqyB5lbLYbj-wMN4eatE7Yhho29BhAn_WLn4Lb61E3AnMc8AN86nxonCmsN0iO2GKQrGKSbL04sn6scUQsyHv5&__tn__=EEHH-R

If they miss this deadline they'll have to swim the lake before running and cycling laps of it!

They'll surely sink in the lake if they are cycling it :)

Your right on the commitment as a scatter of them are training with our club. Thats what they have been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Opening date now confirmed as Friday April 5th.

Preview tours available for the public this Saturday from 10 until 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I was there today, fabulous facility throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pjordan

Well just out from a visit for the open day and have to say it’s an impressive facility and compares very well to other similar facilities in the region and a huge improvement on the old pool.

Wouldn’t be all that gone on the decor but that’s a relatively moot point.

Staff are rightfully very excited and enthuastic especially those from the old pool that have been waiting for this for a long time.

Not sure about the pricing structure. Seems to be geared towards capturing memberships and seems on a par or slightly higher than local commercial alternatives. The one rate that stand out is a massive jump of 250% for the one off visit from €4 in old pool to €10 here for an adult. Admittedly the €10 is for pool and gym but I always wonder what proportion of people use both at the same time rather than one of the other. It’d be nice to be able to just have a swim say for €6.

Also a shame that there seems to be no mention now of phase 2 of the facility which proposed a badly needed running track and other outdoor sports facilities including an extension of the GMIT facilities. Big fanfare about all that at the original announcement but seems to have been quietly swept under the carpet now.

Anyway best of luck to the new staff and the facility. A good addition to Castlebar.

€10 seems incredibly steep for a single admission. Just as a wider comparison I paid £3.30 (€3.80) to go for a swim in my local 25m pool during the week.

Anyone have an idea of the membership and how it works? Is there for membership for swim only, can you go to the classes held by the movement with the membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 chunkydave

Membership prices are ridiculous as well. €490 for individual for the year gym and pool, €900 for couple and €980 for family. From what I have seen no pool or gym only memberships. Comparing this to Claremorris pool, they are about 100-180 off individual/family. Have to say the pricing will make me drive an extra 15 minutes to Claremorris. Very gready pricing for a public pool. I wonder has it anything to do with the movement taking over the gym? His current gym pricing structure is very similar!

Attached price list from Connaught Telegraph Facebook page. They're higher than I thought they'd be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭irishgeo

its not even opened and they have managed to lose the new venue bounce off it.

• Advertisement

I think they might need to look at that again once the novelty factor of the new facility wears off. I'd have no interest in using the gym side of it and I'm sure loads of others would be the same, so having no swim only option seems a bit of a con.

No mention of multiple entrance tickets either, which they have in Westport.

Advertisement