Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I've heard DK used to kick penalties so that should make it obvious if anyone has seen him kick at goal? Kinda kills the whole 'have to be left-legged to play left wing' argument, so Earls can play 11 without that debate.

He's right footed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

So they're all gone for a weeks holiday I hear. It's either madness or genius depending on how we perform. I guess they've had a long stint in camp so break makes sense into the run up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I've heard DK used to kick penalties so that should make it obvious if anyone has seen him kick at goal?
    Kinda kills the whole 'have to be left-legged to play left wing' argument, so Earls can play 11 without that debate.

This whole left-footer thing is being totally overblown. We went through the 2014 6N with Trimble and DK with McFadden on the bench and we managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This whole left-footer thing is being totally overblown. We went through the 2014 6N with Trimble and DK with McFadden on the bench and we managed.

Were there many other options in 2014? Lot of injuries as I recall. Schmidt mentioned specifically this year that he didn't want to end up with 3 left footers in the back 3 during the 6N anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

shaungil wrote: »
    So they're all gone for a weeks holiday I hear. It's either madness or genius depending on how we perform. I guess they've had a long stint in camp so break makes sense into the run up.

Surely a few will be playing in the Interpros?

• Advertisement

Were there many other options in 2014? Lot of injuries as I recall. Schmidt mentioned specifically this year that he didn't want to end up with 3 left footers in the back 3 during the 6N anyway.

There was Zebo, you may recall there was a brief and cordial discussion over his omission, but it passed very quickly.

Just asking the obvious question, why and how would we need a left-legged player on the right?
    Assuming some left-legged bodies are filling each of the other two positions in the back 3...

There was Zebo, you may recall there was a brief and cordial discussion over his omission, but it passed very quickly.

He'd been out injured for several months, missed the AIs, and just got back to playing right before the tournament is what I recall, and that's why he wasn't involved.

And yes I can remember a rather pathetic amount of squealing over the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Witheringeye

I've heard DK used to kick penalties so that should make it obvious if anyone has seen him kick at goal?
    Kinda kills the whole 'have to be left-legged to play left wing' argument, so Earls can play 11 without that debate.

Yeah he is right footed but he's also very good with left
    And it's not really an argument. It's basically what joe has said and what his selection history has said

He'd been out injured for several months, missed the AIs, and just got back to playing right before the tournament is what I recall, and that's why he wasn't involved.

And yes I can remember a rather pathetic amount of squealing over the whole thing.

Oh sweet Jesus let's leave it there.

• Advertisement

Oh sweet Jesus let's leave it there.

You brought it up.

Yeah he is right footed but he's also very good with left
    And it's not really an argument. It's basically what joe has said and what his selection history has said

The quote I thought I heard Joe say was something more along the lines of
    he didn't want the full set of the back three all kicking with the same kicking leg (paraphrasing).

You brought it up.

In answer to a direct question.

But see previous post.

I'm plagued with the vision that they will turn up and we'll have a gut-wrenching opening half where they open us up.
    Then they will get bored with the effort and our lads will dominate the 2nd half and roll them over. Just a thought. 😰

I've a vested couple of tickets that makes me worry though...

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

I'm plagued with the vision that they will turn up and we'll have a gut-wrenching opening half where they open us up.
    Then they will get bored with the effort and our lads will dominate the 2nd half and roll them over. Just a thought. 😰

Sounds a bit like our quarter final against them in 2003, except for the "and roll them over" part.

Rumour in the IT today that Schmidt may only bring 2 SHs in order to brink a back up 12 (cave or darcy)

• Administrators Posts: 53,355 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Rumour in the IT today that Schmidt may only bring 2 SHs in order to brink a back up 12 (cave or darcy)

Rumour or just pure speculation because they're running out of interesting things to write? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

awec wrote: »
    because they're running out of interesting things to write

Sounds very like what's going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

That's silly. Madigan should be backup 12. Why risk the scrumhalf situation?

Rumour or just pure speculation because they're running out of interesting things to write? :)

More than likely

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    That's silly. Madigan should be backup 12. Why risk the scrumhalf situation?

Maybe it's because all it would take would be one injury to henshaw (assuming they wouldn't shift Payne to 12 and earls to 13) for mads to be starting at 12 but it would take both Murray and reddan getting injured for the scrum half risk to materialise.
    This is all on the premise that joe would not want mads starting a game at 12 vs France etc, which is reasonable
    Or perhaps joe is an avid reader of boards.ie and he's so sick of the marmion vs boss debate that he's not bringing either!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Anyway I'd like to see Madigan at 9, could do ok for just 10 minutes (It's the worst case IMO, very unlikely the 2 SHs get injured the one just before and and the other during the same game)

Sounds very like what's going on here.

Getting tired of your sarky comments. This is a discussion forum, people are here to discuss even if you deem it uninteresting by your own stellar standard of posting.

If you don't like it you know where to go.

All three. Joe said something along these lines on Sunday, that he hadn't decided how many SHs to bring. I don't believe him, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

All three. Joe said something along these lines on Sunday, that he hadn't decided how many SHs to bring. I don't believe him, frankly.

You've often heard that X scrumhalf plays like an extra backrow (Phillips, O'Leary, insert other large scrum half here)?

Well, Joe is thinking the opposite, with his backrow playing like an extra scrum half.
    He's considering bringing 6, with no sub backrows as a result. Cooney and McGrath on standby

Always thinking outside the box is Joe

Joe told me that he reads these threads for ****s and giggles.

Sent Marmion back to Connacht last weekend just to get a reaction.

Grade A troll our Joe is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

No worries. Madser got u covered.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

I do, it's a waste of talent to bring a 3rd SH, far behind the first 2, just in case both of them gets injured between the day before the eve of a game, and the 60th minute of that game. The chances are close to none.
    But a 6th prop more than another centre would be better

connachta wrote: »
    I do, it's a waste of talent to bring a 3rd SH, far behind the 2 first, just in case both of them gets injured between the day before the eve of a game, and the 60th minute of that game. The chances are close to none.
    But a 6th prop more than another centre would be better

For the last five years, all we've heard is how meticulous Joe is in every aspect of planning.

To suggest that, ten days before he announces his squad, he doesn't even know how many scrum-halves he'll bring, is ludicrous.

• Advertisement

emmet02 wrote: »
    Joe told me that he reads these threads for ****s and giggles.

He consults with the mods before making a squad announcement to warn us of any potential problematic selections and asks for our input.

We have a list ready for him right now of selections that he absolutely cannot make to save this place from implosion.

He usually listens to us, though he did ignore us that time he dropped Murray for Reddan. :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement