Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The 6 month thing is a myth afaik.

You need to do your ESTA, and as long as you have a valid passport you should be grand. They scan it the same way they do in every other country going from what I've seen in the past. They also have an electronic device that takes your fingerprints, you have to give them to get through.

Don't think the fingerprint thing is true for Canada btw, if that's where you're going.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Been to both in the last few years, no fingerprints for Canada alright. The 6 months rule is only for certain countries, don't think it applies to either US/Canada but best to check official channels. Definitely get your ESTA in good time. And don't crack any jokes in US Immigration, they have no sense of humour... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Not sure on Canada but your passport needs to be valid up to the point you leave the US, no 6 month requirement.

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/consular/validity-of-irish/eu-passports.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I must be on your ignore list :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Mine is Downton Abbey. I actually quite like it myself, definitely better than what you have to endure.

I sometimes wonder what the womenfolk post on their off-topic forums. Giving out about their men watching such crap TV as True Detective etc...

Mine's not so keen about my being on this forum at all TBH...makes ye olde smartphone quite handy!

She would rather you were frequenting sites with ladies in various states of undress than talking to strange men on the internet?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

She would rather you were frequenting sites with ladies in various states of undress than talking to strange men on the internet?!

Seems fair to me...

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was looking this morning at NHL tickets and the prices are unreal! Like 200 dollars + for a normal league game and that's the poorer seats!

awec wrote: »
    Was looking this morning at NHL tickets and the prices are unreal! Like 200 dollars + for a normal league game and that's the poorer seats!

They have really small arenas, so they get tons of demand!

They have really small arenas, so they get tons of demand!

Yea, was looking at Madison Square Garden, they are almost sold out for nearly all of their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I went to an NBA game there before and, while the Rangers games are supposed to be more enjoyable, the seating arrangement is very similar. We paid about $100 each to be 4 rows from the very back of the arena. It was not worth it at all.

• Advertisement

I spend a fair amount of time in Toronto and I have to say I enjoy watching the Leafs games more in a bar there. But then that is with locals there who I know, I can't imagine the same would be true if I was just dropping into the city for the first time. The baseball is great craic live though, and dirt cheap!

I've been to Rangers games a couple of times, think I spent about 70-80 dollars for a ticket, not the best seats but great view nonetheless. There's a huge hotel across the street (Pennsylvania Hotel, don't stay there, the rooms are terrible), but they have (or used to have anyway) a ticket office where you can get tickets for events/plays/etc at fairly good prices. Or book online. Brilliant atmosphere at the hockey games and easy to get a beer/hot dog etc without missing much.

Baseball would bore me. Basketball too.

We're actually going to Toronto as well but the Maple Leafs have no home games when we're there (and they're also expensive!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I was surprised by how much I enjoy a Yankees baseball. Even the gf who struggles with all sports enjoyed it. Its quite like cricket in that you can zone in and out.

Have also tried to get NBA/NHL tickets in the past, really expensive.

awec wrote: »
    Baseball would bore me. Basketball too.

We're actually going to Toronto as well but the Maple Leafs have no home games when we're there (and they're also expensive!).

Basketball is end to end excitement, how could that bore you
    "What was the score, ah twas 114-112 after the, second period of OT, bored the balls off me it did"..... Said no one ever

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah I love basketball...

Although I was at a LA Galaxy pre-season game in Vegas and cuz there wasn't anything riding on it it was a bit flat.

EDIT: Lakers even! Kobe will be turning in his grave....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Because you get the general impression that nothing outside the last few minutes actually matters at all. Individual scores are rendered somewhat meaningless as in the grand scheme of things they don't matter a damn and there are loads of them.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Because you get the general impression that nothing outside the last few minutes actually matters at all. Individual scores are rendered somewhat meaningless as in the grand scheme of things they don't matter a damn and there are loads of them.

The beauty of the game is lost on you ;)
    Leave the scoring aside and just enjoy the spectacle and athleticism on display

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

A close basketball game can be great. A game where one team wins comfortably is pretty dull. I know teams can claw back 15-20 point deficits in the final quarter but it's rare. If a side is going into the final quarter 90-75 ahead, it's likely they're going to just ease to victory and the game is going to have little or no excitement in the closing stages. NBA games often have large chunks of the crowd departing before the end because of it.

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah I love basketball...

Although I was at a LA Galaxy pre-season game in Vegas and cuz there wasn't anything riding on it it was a bit flat.

Did you mean the Lakers?

I think Robbie Keane's a bit short to be really good at basketball..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Zzippy wrote: »
    Did you mean the Lakers?

I think Robbie Keane's a bit short to be really good at basketball..... ;)

Yes I meant Lakers! Was just reading an article about Gerrard there so had it stuck in my head! :P

Sure do they not basically score on every attack in basketball?

"What was the score, ah twas 114-112 after the, second period of OT, bored the balls off me it did"..... Said no one ever

Its end-to-end because the defending team run back to their own half instantly. Only the last 10 mins are exciting. I really don't get how a big dunk is impressive.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Sudden urge to spend the evening playing this

Team of Dietmar Hamanns please!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Speculative effort from Dregin!

I had to look up what speculative meant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Its end-to-end because the defending team run back to their own half instantly. Only the last 10 mins are exciting. I really don't get how a big dunk is impressive.

The whole game is exciting, you only get a few allyoop dunks per game really, its all about speed of thought and precision

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

So I'm going to be in Chicago the weekend of the France game in the 6N, would any of you perchance know a pub/bar in Chicago who might be showing it?

The whole game is exciting, you only get a few allyoop dunks per game really, its all about speed of thought and precision

I must admit I don't understand the appeal of the vast majority of sports... Rugby has just been beaten into me over the years :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

So I'm going to be in Chicago the weekend of the France game in the 6N, would any of you perchance know a pub/bar in Chicago who might be showing it?

The Lonely Planet/Rough Guide/Any guide book usually has a good list of bars, sports bars, and Irish bars so giving them an email/phone call is the best way to find out.

I'd be surprised if one of the Irish bars didn't have it as it's a 5pm Irish KO so will be around 11 am or 12 mid day over there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement