Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread too point uh

• 10-01-2015 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

\0/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

You've been drinking haven't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

If by drinking you mean changing dirty nappies....then yes, I've been drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

RuggieBear wrote: »

Have one more for me then!
    :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Them fumes will do nasty things to you.

• Oscar season is upon us, if you know what I mean....

American Sniper is frustrating. If it wasn't for a few key (over the top) scenes, you wouldn't know who the bad guys are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't think it'll win anything. Looks like the main categories are all sown up according to paddy power.

The only exception is best actor which is very much a two horse race between Michael Keating and Eddie Redlmayne. I haven't seen theory of everything but birdman

Oscar movies are becoming increasingly insipid imo. Have **** all interest in most of the favourites tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I heard Birdman is excellent. Haven't seen it yet though. Grand Budapest Hotel is brilliant. Ralph Fiennes has to be a contender for best actor for it. Superb performance

i've heard mixed things....some saying it is self indulgent twaddle!

GBH is ok...but i'm very hit and miss with Wes Anderson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Oscar movies are becoming increasingly insipid imo. Have **** all interest in most of the favourites tbh.

I disagree this year in particular. Of the top 20 films on Paddy Power in the running for best film I've seen 10 and intend to see about 3 more. I think in the past lots of oscar nominated films were all the same, this year I think directors experimented way more, and are trying to be different.

Birdman was class - like it was funny, the camera work was excellent, the acting was good the script was sharp. The only problem I had with it was a movie kinda satirising Broadway for being pretentious, while also being pretentious.

The Imitation game was very good. I am a big fan of Benedict Cumberbatch, and Alan Turing. So seeing it made into a biopic made me very happy. The last few years have some awful Biopic's like "Iron Lady" "Diana" and "Princess Grace" but they did very well with it. Good watch.

Foxcatcher I watched last night was a very enjoyable sports drama. Could have been shorter, but the true history is in some ways weirder than fiction. If you don't know the true story, watch the movie. If you do know the true story it spoils the movie (apparently). Also imagine Steve Carrell's character is Bath's Bruce Craig. Striking similarities!

Whiplash is my surprise of the group. JK Simmons I guess has had some fairly minor roles, but is an absolute shoe in for the Oscar at 1:7 on PP. It's worth it for the intensity of his performance alone. I know this is about Jazz music, but watching it, it's actually much more like the coach boxer dynamic. Very intense, I loved it.

Grand Budapest hotel was wonderfully colorful and different. Great dialogue and acting, it was a while ago I watched it, I want to watch it again.

Interstellar was mind-blowing in terms of special effects and scale. The music was great. The scene where MMcC gets all the messages from home was genuinely brilliantly acted. Touching moment, although some parts of the movie fell a bit flat.

Gone Girl was a really good novel adaption and a brilliantly shot film. I hadn't read the book, and loved the movie start to finish. It was my favourite film of 2014, I left it feeling so fulfilled. The evil characters are so chilling, and the good characters so flawed.

Big Eyes contained my favorite actor Christoph Waltz. The movie wasn't perfect, but it drove the emotions well.

Nightcrawler was weird in a good way. It asked questions and gave you an insight into delusional desperation. I thought Gyllenghal (or however that is spelt) nailed it. The movie was just lacking another strong performance for him to bounce off, its really a one man movie.

Fury rounds off the top 20. A world war 2 drama. Pitt is pretty good Shia La Beouf is somehow not an asshole. It does well to show the horrors of war, before a going a bit too close to Rambo at the end.

Before the Oscars I will watch Boyhood, Unbroken, Theory of Everything, American Sniper and Into the Woods I think.

I didn't post this list as a bunch of mini-reviews. It just highlights the width of movies that are nominated for this years Oscars. There really is an excellent film from most genres there.

Comedy: Birdman, The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Suspense / Thriller: Night Crawler, Gone Girl,
    Wartime: Fury, Unbroken, American Sniper
    Sports: Foxcatcher
    Biopic: Theory of Everything, Imitation Game,
    Sci-Fi: Interstellar
    Musical(ish): Whiplash

I accept all of them are also drama, but it's better than years which are dominated by movies with main characters in awfully bleak circumstances living a meager existence and then dying so the actor can pick up a gold statue!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hart of Dixie.

Does anyone else's girlfriend / wife / boyfriend / significant other inflict this sh**e on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Synode wrote: »
    I heard Birdman is excellent. Haven't seen it yet though. Grand Budapest Hotel is brilliant. Ralph Fiennes has to be a contender for best actor for it. Superb performance
    GBH is the much better movie. Birdman is complete oscar fodder. Not terrible but its a movie that thinks its a great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Haven't seen Boyhood but it looks to have the betting markets sewn up. If you take 12 years to make a film you probably deserve one!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »
    Hart of Dixie.

Does anyone else's girlfriend / wife / boyfriend / significant other inflict this sh**e on you?

What is it - tv or a band?

On a happier note, i've a massive roasting tray in the oven filled with pork ribs using gordon ramsey's youtube recipe for sticky ribs!!

Wife "i wouldn't really like those as my dinner"

Me "you're in luck because I didn't make them for you"

mfceiling wrote: »

On a happier note, i've a massive roasting tray in the oven filled with pork ribs using gordon ramsey's youtube recipe for sticky ribs!!

It's a TV show.

And it's tripe.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mfceiling wrote: »

Share the recipe there like a good lad

errlloyd wrote: »
    I disagree....

Comedy: Birdman, The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Suspense / Thriller: Night Crawler, Gone Girl,
    Wartime: Fury, Unbroken, American Sniper
    Sports: Foxcatcher
    Biopic: Theory of Everything, Imitation Game,
    Sci-Fi: Interstellar
    Musical(ish): Whiplash

Great synopsis errlloyd....but honestly the only movies there that would get/got me to the cinema are night crawler and Intersteller.

I'm just not excited/interested by any of the rest bar catching them on sky movies or tv and only if they were on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Share the recipe there like a good lad

If it's this one, it's delicious. Did it once before, been looking for an excuse to do it again. **** you, January diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If it's this one, it's delicious. Did it once before, been looking for an excuse to do it again. **** you, January diet.

That's the one...felt like Homer Simpson after them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It's a TV show.

And it's tripe.

I can second that. Awful drivel.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    I can second that. Awful drivel.

You in the same boat as me molloy?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Watching the Expendables 2. What a cast. What a script. What acting! :cool:

You in the same boat as me molloy?

Not lately thankfully, but she did watch it for a while a year or two back. I wish I could say it was the worst thing she watched though. If I have to see or hear any of the Khardashian clan ever again I think I might need psychiatric help!

Not lately thankfully, but she did watch it for a while a year or two back. I wish I could say it was the worst thing she watched though. If I have to see or hear any of the Khardashian clan ever again I think I might need psychiatric help!

Yea I get all that crap too. And Revenge.

And Hollyoaks. :(

Yea I get all that crap too. And Revenge.

And Hollyoaks. :(

Hollyoaks I've been lucky to avoid. She's not into that stuff. But she loves Revenge. What is it with women and their need to watch beautiful rich people on TV??? Another one she loves is this "reality" show following realtors around NY selling stupidly expensive condos and apartments. It's like she's teasing herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Hart of Dixie.

Bastard. I've gotten away without having seeing it for ages. Missus saw your post and now wants to know when the series is back

Bastard. I've gotten away without having seeing it for ages. Missus saw your post and now wants to know when the series is back

Its on Netflix now I think. :(

Hollyoaks I've been lucky to avoid. She's not into that stuff. But she loves Revenge. What is it with women and their need to watch beautiful rich people on TV??? Another one she loves is this "reality" show following realtors around NY selling stupidly expensive condos and apartments. It's like she's teasing herself.

The acting in revenge is brutal too. Story line is just nonsense.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"gone girl" is the biggest load of putrid drivel ive seen on a big screen in a long long time.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    "gone girl" is the biggest load of putrid drivel ive seen on a big screen in a long long time.

Chick flick?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement