Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

tiger_cub wrote: »
    Ulster confirm Afoa, Best, Pienaar, Tuohy, Wilson and Trimble are out for this week's game against us.

They are there for the taking!! :-p but honestly how do you think we'll get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

tiger_cub wrote: »
    Ulster confirm Afoa, Best, Pienaar, Tuohy, Wilson and Trimble are out for this week's game against us.

bad news is that Henderson and Ferris will most likely start so :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

They are there for the taking!! :-p but honestly how do you think we'll get on?

Despite their injuries, they will still field a very strong team....the likes of Ferris, Henry, Williams, Henderson, Jackson, Luke Marshall, Bowe, Gilroy etc...but mentally they must be there for the taking!! I know the Rabo is all they have to play for now but surely it's going to be very difficult to get up for a league game after what happened at the weekend!!

Either that, or they will be so bloody angry, they will knock seven shades of s***e out of us.....let's hope for the former!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I sadly think it'll be backlash over slumped shoulders. Is this on BBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

If we could do a job on their scrum, with Afoa out, and lineout it could keep us in touch. But I'm under no illusions about how hard this game will be, Ravenhill is becoming a fortress and it's sold out IIRC. All odds are against us and our history away from home against the other provinces is awful. But a LBP would be more than a respectable result.

And hey we're going for out 5th TBP in a row;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

If Munster win HC does that mean Connacht get in again, or has the rules changed??

astonaidan wrote: »
    If Munster win HC does that mean Connacht get in again, or has the rules changed??

Rules changed. Top team from each country and next three in the table

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

I sadly think it'll be backlash over slumped shoulders. Is this on BBC?

BBC Northern Ireland are showing it, it should be on BBC red button too if you don't have that regional variation.

Here's the results/fixtures list with TV coverage info:
    http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/fixtures_list.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fairly sure they've changed for next season.

Gamayun wrote: »
    BBC Northern Ireland are showing it, it should be on BBC red button too if you don't have that regional variation.

Here's the results/fixtures list with TV coverage info:
    http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/fixtures_list.php

RTE and TG4 not showing an interpro is fairly embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

its_phil wrote: »
    If we could do a job on their scrum, with Afoa out, and lineout it could keep us in touch. But I'm under no illusions about how hard this game will be, Ravenhill is becoming a fortress and it's sold out IIRC. All odds are against us and our history away from home against the other provinces is awful. But a LBP would be more than a respectable result.

And hey we're going for out 5th TBP in a row;)

Ulster are in a bit of a slump in the Rabo at the moment plus alot of their players Court, Muller, Jackson, Marshall, Cave, Bowe, and Herring will be facing their 4th game in 4 weeks against Connacht and their 5th in 5 with Glasgow up the week after.

The pressure is all on Ulster for this game.

RTE and TG4 not showing an interpro is fairly embarrassing.

It being on the beeb is good to though imo my family in England can see a match of ours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Rules changed. Top team from each country and next three in the table
    Ah thats what I thought alright, dam sucky rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Also worth noting, they released 1800 more tickets this afternoon should anyone fancy making any last minute travel plans! ;)

It being on the beeb is good to though imo my family in England can see a match of ours

It would have been on BBC regardless because they have their own deal for Ulster games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

It would have been on BBC regardless because they have their own deal for Ulster games.

Exactly, so RTE and TG4 can split the other 2 Irish teams between them. Leinster and Connacht/Ulster are playing at the same time too

Tox56 wrote: »
    Exactly, so RTE and TG4 can split the other 2 Irish teams between them. Leinster and Connacht/Ulster are playing at the same time too
    Let's call a spade, a spade here. RTE and TG4 don't want to show all 3 games. If they were fussed about having this interpro it would be on at a different time to the Leinster game.

It isn't a case of diplomacy, neither want to take a possible ratings hit. Which is understandable but pretty sure this is the first time RTE and TG4 won't be showing an interpro since they took over. No harm anyways, I'd just be expecting some generalisations on Connacht's part. Hopefully EOS will be on panel for BBC like he has a few times before, always talks good sense. Albeit coverage will be understandably dominated with Ulster seen as it's their home station, the events of last week and are going for playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Let's call a spade, a spade here. RTE and TG4 don't want to show all 3 games. If they were fussed about having this interpro it would be on at a different time to the Leinster game.

It isn't a case of diplomacy, neither want to take a possible ratings hit. Which is understandable but pretty sure this is the first time RTE and TG4 won't be showing an interpro since they took over. No harm anyways, I'd just be expecting some generalisations on Connacht's part. Hopefully EOS will be on panel for BBC like he has a few times before, always talks good sense. Albeit coverage will be understandably dominated with Ulster seen as it's their home station, the events of last week and are going for playoffs.

Read into it what you want but I'd be fairly pissed off if my side wasn't shown because two Irish broadcasters were doubling up on one game, it really wouldn't make any sense

Tox56 wrote: »
    Read into it what you want but I'd be fairly pissed off if my side wasn't shown because two Irish broadcasters were doubling up on one game, it really wouldn't make any sense

The games would have been on at separate times if they wanted and they just don't want it which is their prerogative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭b.gud

Great interview with Henshaw on thescore today
    http://thescore.thejournal.ie/robbie-henshaw-interview-1396326-Apr2014/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

will be interesting to see team sheet for Friday. my own viewpoint is that I'm at a loss to understand that Healy and poolman are simply put to one side. yes tiernan and fionn have done fine in their absence. but matt and dani deserve their return chance. it is well known that eoin is leaving at the end of the season. with Robbie's future tied to the Irish centre position I'm at a loss to understand why he is not picked at centre, tiernan or darragh at full back which then allows the opportunity for matt or dani on the wing. the season is effectively over so is it not the perfect time to try out new ideas for next season. I wasn't happy when pat stuck with Gavin, I am less happy that he simply tries to regurgitate an effective team without any thought to the future

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭freyners

ouncer wrote: »
    will be interesting to see team sheet for Friday. my own viewpoint is that I'm at a loss to understand that Healy and poolman are simply put to one side. yes tiernan and fionn have done fine in their absence. but matt and dani deserve their return chance. it is well known that eoin is leaving at the end of the season. with Robbie's future tied to the Irish centre position I'm at a loss to understand why he is not picked at centre, tiernan or darragh at full back which then allows the opportunity for matt or dani on the wing. the season is effectively over so is it not the perfect time to try out new ideas for next season. I wasn't happy when pat stuck with Gavin, I am less happy that he simply tries to regurgitate an effective team without any thought to the future

Healy is injured......

First you argue that Lam isn't playing his strongest centre pairing now because Griffin is leaving he should be benched/dropped to get Henshaw more game time?
    The hunt for 6th might be over but I'd like to win as many matches or put as good a showing as possible in till the end of the season

First you argue that Lam isn't playing his strongest centre pairing now because Griffin is leaving he should be benched/dropped to get Henshaw more game time?
    The hunt for 6th might be over but I'd like to win as many matches or put as good a showing as possible in till the end of the season

I wouldn't call it over. Incredibly tough task and we are depending on others but if we are as close as we are now why bother throwing in the towel.

Do I think we will get it? No, but this is definitely worth going down swinging for.

first, I'm a huge fan of eoin griffin, I have never said anything to differ on this. he, as far as I'm concerned, is the most talented back Connacht currently have. that said Robbie needs to achieve at centre, the simple reason eoin must leave. so do it. give Robbie his centre, and then work the back line selection around this. would putting tiernan or darragh at full back weaken the team. not in the slightest. would the inclusion of dani or matt weaken the team, not in the slightest. the only potential weakening, as I see it, is selecting Robbie at centre. eoin is clearly a better centre.

first, I'm a huge fan of eoin griffin, I have never said anything to differ on this. he, as far as I'm concerned, is the most talented back Connacht currently have. that said Robbie needs to achieve at centre, the simple reason eoin must leave. so do it. give Robbie his centre, and then work the back line selection around this. would putting tiernan or darragh at full back weaken the team. not in the slightest. would the inclusion of dani or matt weaken the team, not in the slightest. the only potential weakening, as I see it, is selecting Robbie at centre. eoin is clearly a better centre.

Given the battle ahead of us isn't next season the better time for this

Given the battle ahead of us isn't next season the better time for this

what battle. the season is done and dusted. what we need to do now is work on the potential for next year. will it be tiernan at full back, will it be darragh at full back, will it be dani at 11 or 14, will it be matt at 11 or 14, will it be fionn at 11 or 14, will it be ronaldson at 12, will it be mcsharry. the only definite is it will be Robbie at 13, so do it. it annoys my head when pat simply is incapable of working the basics. and these are the basic questions that see Connacht into a new season. answer them pat.

what battle. the season is done and dusted. what we need to do now is work on the potential for next year. will it be tiernan at full back, will it be darragh at full back, will it be dani at 11 or 14, will it be matt at 11 or 14, will it be fionn at 11 or 14, will it be ronaldson at 12, will it be mcsharry. the only definite is it will be Robbie at 13, so do it. it annoys my head when pat simply is incapable of working the basics. and these are the basic questions that see Connacht into a new season. answer them pat.

Up until the Scarlets game, the season was certainly not over and still isn't but certainly harder . Many here will agree with Pat's selections and his basics have got us 4 TBP's in a row. Your picking fights for the hell of it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

IRFU president says Henshaw will have to move province if Joe Schmidt insists on it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/irfu-president-says-robbie-henshaw-will-have-to-move-province-if-joe-schmidt-insists-on-it-1.1756149

Don't think it will happen but would be a complete joke if it did and a massive blow to Connacht Rugby. It's bad enough losing guys out of contract but this would be a step too far. In the (hopefully) unlikely event it did happen, as a Connacht person I genuinely think I wouldn't really care how Ireland progress.

Can you imagine the IRFU saying to Ulster hey Joe says Payne needs to play at 13 and you're fairly well set there so we're sending Jared down to Munster?!

Advertisement