Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Info about courses in UL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Downing

Yeah, I'm doing the leaving cert and that course is my first choice. Can u give an insight into the course?? thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Caoi!

Can anyone tell me some info about LM118

Hi there! There is a lot of info under the different tabs on the website for that course, http://www3.ul.ie/courses/ElectronicAndComputerEngineering.php . What is it in particular you'd like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Downing wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm doing the leaving cert and that course is my first choice. Can u give an insight into the course?? thanks!

Not doing engineering but my course falls under the engineering department.

You would want to be good at maths. Either well able for Honours or an A student in pass who finds it easy (Of course you would have to do the entrance exam if you're in pass at leaving cert).

Basically from now on, all engineers are together for the first two years doing modules that touch on a bit of everything so that at the end of the second year you can choose what route is best suited to you be it computer, electronic, robotic, electrical energy or general.

You will be doing a mixture of hardware and software. My course focuses mainly on software and we had engineers in some of our modules. So programming languages like C/C++ and Java, you will be learning.

Just to give you an example;

Year 1 Semester 1:

Engineering Maths 1 - Toughest of the three types of maths modules (Science Maths and Technological Maths are the other two). You will struggle with this if you're not in honours at leaving cert I'd imagine. I did Science Maths (Pass maths in leaving cert, got an A2). Wasn't a stroll but nowhere near as hard.

Digital Systems 1 - I did this. Easy out. If Phil Samways is still doing it you will find it easy too. Covers basic things like binary numbers, digital gates, etc.

Computer Software 1 - I did this. Another straight forward module. You begin to learn Java. If John Nelson is still the lecturer you will be fine. Very helpful guy.

Electrical Science - Didn't do this. Probably in with the energy students for this.

Physics for Engineers - Didn't do this but as you can imagine, you would want to have done physics before.

In the first two years you might find yourself doing modules that you don't really like doing but those first couple years are much easier in comparison to the final two years (as to be expected really) even though you might enjoy the modules more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lallz

Anyone know how many hours a week is in the business studies course?

it depends what year your in....just finished first semester in second year and i had 16 a week...it was handy enough :)

RHunce wrote: »
    bachelor of education in materials & construction technology anyone?

I'm very interested in this course! can u give me an insight...Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I'm very interested in this course! can u give me an insight...Thanks

Just finished my first semester in this course and I have found this very tough, I'm not going to lie. I think everyone found the first semester fairly intense as there was a nice workload and it only gets heavier as the semesters progress. We had 25hrs I believe in the first semester, mostly labs and tutorials (practicals) with only a small few lectures. A lot of lads who didn't have drawing before they came into the course have struggled with that aspect but the lads who didn't have woodwork seemed to have picked it up fairly fast. There is a lot of project work that can build up if you don't do it when you get it. For instance I was in my shed the morning of the project hand up date for wood tech, redoing two of my projects. A friend of mine stayed up until 6am doing tech drawings the morning they were due. Little lesson, do your work for this course when you get it :pac: It's an enjoyable course once you hand up everything and don't leave things build up during the course of the semester. If there's anything specific you'd like to ask then just fire away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Product Design anyone?

Would love to get some more info on it. :)

Just finished my first semester in this course and I have found this very tough, I'm not going to lie. I think everyone found the first semester fairly intense as there was a nice workload and it only gets heavier as the semesters progress. We had 25hrs I believe in the first semester, mostly labs and tutorials (practicals) with only a small few lectures. A lot of lads who didn't have drawing before they came into the course have struggled with that aspect but the lads who didn't have woodwork seemed to have picked it up fairly fast. There is a lot of project work that can build up if you don't do it when you get it. For instance I was in my shed the morning of the project hand up date for wood tech, redoing two of my projects. A friend of mine stayed up until 6am doing tech drawings the morning they were due. Little lesson, do your work for this course when you get it :pac: It's an enjoyable course once you hand up everything and don't leave things build up during the course of the semester. If there's anything specific you'd like to ask then just fire away.

Thanks very much, have a few more questions though!
    -Is there a lot of woodwork practical involved and do they expect a very high standard?
    -For construction, do ye just do theory or is there some practical involved?
    -is the tech graph standard very high - would there be a lot of LC A1'S doing the course?
    -hows the night life around UL?

Thanks very much, have a few more questions though!
    -Is there a lot of woodwork practical involved and do they expect a very high standard?
    -For construction, do ye just do theory or is there some practical involved?
    -is the tech graph standard very high - would there be a lot of LC A1'S doing the course?
    -hows the night life around UL?

Yes they expect a very high standard straight off the bat for woodwork. In your first semester there's 4hours a week of practical labs.

You don't start the construction aspect until the 3rd year of the degree. The first two years focuses entirely on junior cert content then the final two years on the leaving cert content but each semester there's a project to be done. Looking at the 3rd years this year they had 2 this semester I think. Construction detailing of a house from the foundations to the roof and an environmental model project. You'll always have a lot of practical work. The hours increase to 35 I think in 3rd and 4th year.

A lot of the lads are very good, we're in with the metalwork teachers too, but for some of the other lads that have never done it they will struggle unless the put some serious hours in and go to the DLC (Drawing Learning Centre). In the woodwork course there's was only 2 of us with A1s in DCG out of 70, this was myself and another lad.

The night life is epic. I live at home myself because I'm only from around the corner but I find myself crashing in friends' houses in Kilmurray quite a lot. Tuesdays and Thursdays are the big nights and there's a selection of different spots to hit up depending on what you're into. Normally you start off in a house, these can get a bit crazy sometimes and move on into town or the Lodge.

Keep the questions coming if you want.

Hey RHunce, can I get an opinion on the on-campus accommodation in UL? :) I know you've said you don't live there, but from going to the college which would you recommend for a first year? Kilmurray or Plassey?

• Advertisement

Togepi wrote: »
    Hey RHunce, can I get an opinion on the on-campus accommodation in UL? :) I know you've said you don't live there, but from going to the college which would you recommend for a first year? Kilmurry or Plassey?

I've been in both and they're pretty similar. Plassey was recently done up this year and is really nice but so is Kilmurray. I spend most of my time in Kmurray though. Depending on who you talk to and where they live you will get biased opinions but from a neutrals perspective I'd go with Kilmurray. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Anyone doing/know anyone who has done Intl Insurance and European Studies LM043?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Togepi wrote: »
    Hey RHunce, can I get an opinion on the on-campus accommodation in UL? :) I know you've said you don't live there, but from going to the college which would you recommend for a first year? Kilmurry or Plassey?

You should read the Where Do You Live thread, plenty of opinions on all five villages there.

I've been in both and they're pretty similar. Plassey was recently done up this year and is really nice but so is Kilmurray. I spend most of my time in Kmurray though. Depending on who you talk to and where they live you will get biased opinions but from a neutrals perspective I'd go with Kilmurray. :D

Thanks, glad to get a neutral opinion on it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kerry man

Can anyone doing production/technology management give me an overview? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OfftheWagon

Ireland (Dublin) is rapidly garnering a reputation as the “Silicon Valley of Europe” due to the presence of significant operations of major online giants including Google, Amazon, Yahoo!, Facebook, Microsoft, Linkedin and most recently Twitter. Facebook and Google have announced 300 and 1000 jobs within the last few weeks respectfully. My advice to anyone trying to decide on a 3rd level course with a decent maths ability is go for a challenging course such as Computer Science, Computer/Electronic Eng, Math Science or even Mech/Const Eng. Courses such as product design are a bit arty as in they lack the core problem solving/mathematical and coding elements that employers look for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dunphylad

SCIENCE CHOICE

well lads. I'm thinking about doing science choice when I finish school and would like to get information from people who done this course or are currently doing the course on like lectures and personal experience on science choice ? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Little lesson, do your work for this course when you get it :pac: It's an enjoyable course once you hand up everything and don't leave things build up during the course of the semester.
    This has never been truer for this course. Nothing worse than spending all night the day before the deadline doing a semester's worth of drawings...agreed with the intense coursework too, you really should try to keep on top of stuff if you want to get time to enjoy yourself and do well. I found the woodwork pretty tough having never really done any practical work but I feel like I'm more up to scratch at it now. You should have no problems with Maths or Ed in the first semester, but Materials in second semester may come as a shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CarMar13

Hi all
    I am waiting to take an interview in business education, if anyone has Amy information I would be very grateful. Mainly on what to expect and what to prepare for the interview process. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

dunphylad wrote: »

SCIENCE CHOICE

well lads. I'm thinking about doing science choice when I finish school and would like to get information from people who done this course or are currently doing the course on like lectures and personal experience on science choice ? Thanks

Right,
    A few fundamental things you must know before you start this course.
    The most obvious, you must have a genuine interest in all aspects of Science.
    You'll touch on all of them, Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
    Also, one of the things I overlooked was the Maths module.
    Essentially it's certain aspects of Honours Leaving Cert Maths,
    Namely Limits, Ranges, Differentiation, Matrices, Asymtotes, quite a lot of topics which require the ability to create graphs and use the information on them in a variety of questions.
    You also need the ability to pick up what you don't know quite fast,
    If you miss out on the fundamentals, you'll struggle massively throughout and find yourself learning off what you need to do do instead of understanding it.
    This module was the one that took up the majority of my time first semester.
    In regards to Chemistry, Biology and Physics,
    The ones you've already covered will be very basic for you but don't get complacent but realistically, an hour or two at the end of the week just to jog your memory and you're sorted.
    The ones you haven't done, assuming there are any, are pretty basic as well, but depending on the lecturer, you might have to read up on some of the topics before doing them as some can fly through them, but again, they're still only teaching the essentials of each Science.
    I'll touch on each;
    Chemistry is Leaving Cert Chemistry, summarized massively with emphasis on the first few chapters of "Chemistry Live" (if you're still using that textbook) famous scientists, Boyle, Rutherford, Mendeleev etc.
    Also the basics of bonding and a few different ones to do with calculations like mixing isotopes and getting % of each of them present, Water of Hydrolisation, Acid/Base calculations pH etc.
    Biology is pretty simple if you've done it before, a lot of it was the food chain and plant biology, nothing too difficult.
    Physics was the only one of the sciences I hadn't done before and to be honest took me a while to pick up as there was the odd symbol I had to learn in the Greek alphabet.
    Practicals are great though, pretty simple to carry out but you get to wear a labcoat and is all explained to you before and during.
    Unsure if you do it or not but there's a Computer Science as well,
    All this is is Microsoft Office, an easy place to get a high grade.
    However, he can be a bastard, and doesn't like it when you do things your own way and docks you massively for doing so, so you best follow his rules to some extent... Word, Excel (his way or no way) Powerpoint (speed is essential) and Database, which he said to us, it was basically a fun project kind of thing where you are given a rough topic and have to reference your information from it's source. I don't know how he marked this and due to my past emails I chose not to delve further as my previous emails seemed to have agitated him somewhat...

These are the only modules I did and the only modules I can give information on, Science choice is a vast variety of choices of different aspects of Science (might have something to do with the origin of it's name) and there are more available to you, Microbiology and the like, which aren't included in the Pharmaceutical and Industrial Science course.

I must emphasize though, when you decide to pick your course, see if it has Physical Chemistry in it, if it does, please get back to me as it definitely needs an acquired taste.
    This module is the reason the rest of my modules have dropped,
    It is a killer module, so much so that even the practicals make no sense to me and I'm given instructions...
    However if you've a taste for Physical Chemistry working with temperature, kinetics and pH, you might actually enjoy it...

Again, these are just the modules I've covered and I've left out a few I'm doing this semester Organic & Inorganic Chem, Physics and Maths, all Honours LC level again for the most part.

That's about everything I can give summarized as much as I can without missing out any fundamental parts, feel free to PM if you've any more Q's.
    ****, just checked PM and found out I meant to send you notes,
    Will do so before the day is over, sorry about that :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭pipkin12

Law Plus 2nd year , heading into co op for first half of 3rd year in dublin, any one want info pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Hey new to this but was wondering if any of you have any info on the economics and sociology course and if ye would recommend it??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

limerickfc wrote: »
    Hey new to this but was wondering if any of you have any info on the economics and sociology course and if ye would recommend it??

Quite a bit of maths involved if I'm correctly informed. Overall not a bad course, but a good head and ability to write a decent essay would necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Thanks essays wouldnt be a problem,,would probably struggle at a high level of maths though..any idea how many hours a week it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

limerickfc wrote: »
    Thanks essays wouldnt be a problem,,would probably struggle at a high level of maths though..any idea how many hours a week it is

Hi I'm in business 2nd year and we share the same maths for the first two years..the math isn't that bad but you will need to go to all the lectures and tutorials to pass...however every maths lecture and tutor we had bar 1 lecture and 1 tutor were a disaster and a lot of people had to nearly teach the course(not as bad as it sounds) to themselves or avail of maths learning centre(it's free) or grinds..another good thing is nearly the same questions come up every year with slight variations...and the maths learning centre do week long support before the exam and ye school of maths near kilmurry offer revision courses for €30..the majority of people would have done pass maths for the leaving and get on grand there's plenty of help there if needed...but certain lecturers and TAs aren't great!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 valencia89

Hey folks considering doing this course (pgde music UL) next year and would really appreciate some advice from people who have done it or currently doing it.
    Also considering the music technology masters if anybody has done it.
    Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Darth Frodo

The new course Maths and Physics, can anyone tell me what it's like? Is it difficult?

What are the hours like? What are the lectures like?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Darth Frodo

The new course Maths and Physics, can anyone tell me what it's like? Is it difficult?

What are the hours like? What are the lectures like?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jabn

I really want to do PE and Geography teaching in UL but I've heard some not so good stories about it, especially when it comes to teaching practice. Is teaching practice really stressful and when do you have to do it?? Also, how is it decided what schools you do it in? Is there any other part of the course that is extremely difficult? What are the hours like as well because my friend is in St. Angela's doing Home Ec. and Biology teaching and she has 35 hours a week and she said their teaching practice is really hard and that each of their lesson plans for teaching practice are at least 10 pages long :( Maybe I'm stressing out over nothing and the course is not as difficult as what I've heard but any information would be greatly appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

jabn wrote: »
    I really want to do PE and Geography teaching in UL but I've heard some not so good stories about it, especially when it comes to teaching practice. Is teaching practice really stressful and when do you have to do it?? Also, how is it decided what schools you do it in? Is there any other part of the course that is extremely difficult? What are the hours like as well because my friend is in St. Angela's doing Home Ec. and Biology teaching and she has 35 hours a week and she said their teaching practice is really hard and that each of their lesson plans for teaching practice are at least 10 pages long :( Maybe I'm stressing out over nothing and the course is not as difficult as what I've heard but any information would be greatly appreciated :)
    I do an Education course so I can answer some questions. I'm only starting 2nd year so I haven't done TP yet. Teaching practice is in 2nd and 4th year, 6 weeks and 10 weeks respectively. Some people find it easier than others, obviously you'll be expected to learn on the job and do your best though. You tell them your areas of preference and they will try find you a school that is most suited to you. I do woodwork/tech graph teaching and I have a 26 hour week which might go up next year, not sure yet. Honestly though you don't see it as a big deal because most classes fly by pretty fast and in most cases your timetable is fairly spread out. UL is also a great place to be in terms of things to do.

Advertisement