Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Info about courses in UL

• 20-03-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As suggested in this thread, might be an idea to have a sticky or similar (don't worry, I'll tidy up the stickies as well) linking to the threads where people have asked about UL courses. It'll save people asking the same question twice, will save us time and will save a few people a few heartbeats.

Over the weekend (or soon, since I'm missing my first softball training session today as my door still isn't fixed), I'll have a look through the forum and start putting a list of links together, along with a nice link to the UL official info.

If anyone feels like being uber-helpful and posting some of the UL forum threads here, discussing courses that they're aware of for the benefit wannabe newbies, that'd be cool. Usual tiny-print bottom-of-post credits for volunteers will be provided.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Business studies:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055467842
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055474054

Computing grad dip:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055467438

Economics & Sociology:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055470912

(don't worry about the tidiness, I'll fix that later in a new post with CAO codes included and a reasonable look with proper links, feel free to pop them in as above - all I'm doing is thread gathering)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I can probably write something about Comp Sys......not like I have much else to do in Cairo at the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

rmacm wrote: »
    I can probably write something about Comp Sys......not like I have much else to do in Cairo at the moment :)
    it's old comp sys at this stage rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

kaimera wrote: »
    it's old comp sys at this stage rory

A lot of the modules are the same though so perhaps what you and I know is still relavent.....anyway tomorrow when I'm not so drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blondiegirl2009

We need more info here people:) Business is covered(which Im going to do) but I'd like to hear about arts, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

LM046 History, Politics, Sociology & Social Studies

Don't let the title confuddle you as you have a wide range of subject choices. Be warned it's considered the doss course of the entire university (boasting the fewest contact hours - 12 or less per week); commonly called HPSS or History & Politics (even if you don't do either of those subjects)..or HPiSS (class parties = HPiSSups ;))

In first year you choose four from six subjects: History, Politics, Sociology, Economics, Public Administration or Geography.

In second year you choose two majors or one major and two minor options to carry forth for the rest of your degree. History, politics and sociology are available are as majors (i.e. doing two modules of that subject per semester) while the others are only available as minors (i.e. one module per semester).

In the second semester of 2nd year you go on work placement, or 'co-op' as it's known in UL. For humanities students placements range from civil service positions in Government departments and county/city councils to customer care at Hertz car rental to teaching English at teenage camps in Spain and even further afield. I worked on the Joint Committee for European Affairs in the Houses of the Oireachtas, but I'm aware that some of the public servant co-op positions are drying up due to tightening of expenditure in the public service.

Straight after co-op, in the first semester of 3rd year, there is external academic placement: either Erasmus (Europe) or Socrates (N. America). There is a wide variety of places and institutions to go to. I went to Collegium Civitas in Warsaw, Poland.

From the second semester of 3rd year you're back on campus for the remainder of your time at UL. You only have three taught modules this semester (= 9 hours :pac:) but technically you're supposed to be laying the foundations for your Final Year Project (a mini-dissertation/thesis researching a particular area that interests you). I don't know many who actually did, though!

First semester of 4th year, still cracking on that FYP so only have three taught modules. Might do a bit of work on it this semester as it's due early in semester 2 of 4th year. :)

Second semester of 4th year: FYP was due in week 4 in my day, but I think they've changed it to week 1 now. Full on four modules again so 12 hours!!1one! :eek:

I'll give a quick run down on my personal experience and subjects etc.
    I did History, Politics, Economics & Public Admin in 1st Year
    Then I chose History major and minors in Economics and Public Admin

History: They completely overhauled the course in 2008, now teaching it in chronological format from first year through to fourth. Seeing as I was taught the old course I won't dwell on individual modules that no longer exist. Overall, history is tough to do well in. It requires a lot of reading for essays and suchlike. Unlike LC history, it is not about facts and figures, but about analysis and interpretation. Of course you need to know the facts to be able to interpret them, but you get my drift! One module to be aware of is Tools & Methods in Historical Research, which under the new course is broken into two modules: Sources for History and Historiography. I think the first is compulsory for anyone taking history (first year) and the second only compulsory for history majors (second year). The Tools & Methods module I did was notoriously difficult, full of advanced concepts (taught Sem I of 2nd year) and just generally hard to grasp and uninteresting. The Sources module I suspect will deal with things like objectivity/subjectivity etc while historiography is basically how history is written and what influences how it is written. *shudder* Other than that particular module, I thoroughly enjoyed history. I'd say anyone choosing history at this level would have to be very enthusiastic about the subject as well as a relatively capable command of the English language (for both reading sources - some of which can be old and tedious - and writing essays, of which a certain percentage goes for language).

Economics: I loved this for LC and decided to keep it on. It was actually a sort of pick-me-up subject after the heavy reading and workload of history. It also did my QCA wonders as I found it easy to achieve high grades in it (the answers were either right or wrong and not open to subjective interpretation by the reader like history essays!). As it's only available as a minor, you could only ever have one module of it per semester. You're not in with the BBS economics class group, but in an Arts group with people from Int'l Insurance & European Studies, Euro Studies, and a few others. I suppose it's because the Arts students wouldn't be up to the same mathematical standards as the BBS so its fairer to segregate. I dunno. Anyway, the modules are interesting; if you put the study in for the exams you'll do well if you 'get' economics. Having done economics for LC, you'd have most of the 1st year course covered and it's a good advantage as things like markets and the laws are hammered into you at LC level and they come in handy in later modules when you see them indirectly in practice. Fourth year module, Public Finance, is a b!tch, though. It's in Sem II of 4th Year and it's the one time that we're put in with the BBS crowd. Lecturer is possibly one of the best lecturers in UL but he has no shame of his hatred of the handful (literally) of HPSS and Public Admin students in his class. In fact, I believe he opened his module warning us that we were 'probably going to fail' and went on for a few minutes about how shite HPSS/PA students are at economics. Although sarcastic, he's a very effective lecturer, very clear and would have no problem answering anyone's questions. I think gives that outburst to scare HPSS/PA students into coming to class because in general we're pretty crap at attendance (despite having so few hours anyway).

Public Admin: This is what you might expect 'Politics' to be about. Again, only available as a minor option. Pretty interesting course, even if some of it seems a bit general knowledge/common sense. Goes through topics like the structure of the public service and public bodies, origins and development of sub-national govt & local govt, the welfare state, public policy and where the administration of govt is going in the future. For me, this was about half-way between Economics and History in terms of difficulty. It was an easy enough subject to waffle on in if you knew a bit about the topic and current affairs if you got stuck in an exam :D Not that I ever did, of course...ahem.

Pros of HPSS:
    Really broad nature of the course; a lot of room for self development; excellent opportunities to develop skills in critical thinking, research, analysis, argument, writing; co-op & Erasmus are brilliant experiences and both have influenced my future path.

Cons:
    Well, you're not really qualified as anything...sometimes the only prospect for HPSS graduates is further study...which is sort of a pro because most HPSSers are that way inclined anyway so it suits. Other than that, depending on your field of interest, the public service is a good option...but they're not hiring right now. Ahem. Moving swiftly onwards. Depending on your personality, you may find it difficult to motivate yourself to do work, but it's a course that relies on self-discipline.

The Library
    The library is to the HPSS student what DNA is to living organisms: pretty damn hard to tell apart. Well, perhaps not for first/second year (although you will still need to spend some time there) but by your return to campus in second semester of third year, you need to get to the stage that you have a specific seat and that's where you sit and no one else is allowed sit there. If they do, sit as close as you can possibly get and start doing things that would annoy other library users (eat sweets wrapped in papers, munch loudly, have in-depth conversations with people, let your phone go off, glare at them and make them feel generally uncomfortable). This is your seat. It should only be vacant when you're ill or out of the country. In which case you should undoubtedly get text messages from people asking if you're ok because 'your seat is empty'. Get to know the Special Collections folk and the library staff; they're very helpful people and great sources of wisdom and advice; also, they might sort you out the odd time to check out an extra book or, especially, an extra short loans book at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Thread about BBS with French?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Thread about BBS with French?
    There's plenty on the forum on BBS, I'll see if someone can drag it all here.

BBS with French is just BBS with French added. BBS + Language, while defined as separate coureses, are not at all stand alone.

The only individual separate module will be "Business {insert language here}" once a week, with 3 other language modules shared with European Studies/Cultural Studies/Languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 neil3000

If anyone would like to know anything about Science Education (LM092 i think... Biology education with physics or chemistry) I can help as I am a graduate of the brilliant course!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

anyone on this doing economics and sociology? whats it like?
    Btw im doing the leaving this year!
    this would prob be my second choice course next to business in ul..is there any similarities!?

Thanks!...

bachelor of education in materials & construction technology anyone?

RHunce wrote: »
    bachelor of education in materials & construction technology anyone?

I can help with the education part as I did Bcs (education) in biological science in UL. Only finished in May.

yeah go for it :D

thanks a million

RHunce wrote: »
    yeah go for it :D

thanks a million

Well as you may have guessed the education part is the teacher training part as well as studying about being a professional, the history of education,classroom management, curriculum studies, etc. The education part of each semester is generally quite tough with an exam and a assignment as well as a presentation with your class mates every semester in an education tutorial.

Also you go on teaching practice three time (once in first yr for a week to a primary school, once in second yr for 6 weeks to a secondary school and once in fourth year for 10 weeks again to a secondary school). You will also teach a small group of kids in the first semester of first year in front of a couple of your classmates and it is also recorded. This really helps your develop into a teacher.
    When on teaching practice in second and fourth year you will be observed 4-6 times by your supervisor who will then assign you a grade!

It may all seem scary but everyone in the course is in the same boat so ye go through everything together!

Please keep in mind this is the way it was for me, and maybe things have changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Does anyone have any info on Law and Accounting? any help would be greatly appreciated:D

Stryderman wrote: »
    Does anyone have any info on Law and Accounting? any help would be greatly appreciated:D

ya;)

I'm asking a serious question here Darragh, do away!:p

I'm asking a serious question here Darragh, do away!:p

why dont you just go to www.ul.ie and look there?
    I thought it was business you were doing or was it transatlantic studies??
    decisions!!:D

Daragh101 wrote: »
    why dont you just go to www.ul.ie and look there?
    I thought it was business you were doing or was it transatlantic studies??
    decisions!!:D
    Well I've looked at all the information on it on the ul website and on qualifax, i jus want to get some info from someone who is actually doing the course! I think their comments on the course would be interesting and more relevant!:D
    And at the moment im trying to decide between Law an Accounting and Business.... the european business, transatlantic studies course is out of the frame altogether... I definitely want to go to UL!!!:D

• Advertisement

Well I've looked at all the information on it on the ul website and on qualifax, i jus want to get some info from someone who is actually doing the course! I think their comments on the course would be interesting and more relevant!:D
    And at the moment im trying to decide between Law an Accounting and Business.... the european business, transatlantic studies course is out of the frame altogether... I definitely want to go to UL!!!:D

http://www.ul.ie/courses/LM020.html

Try this!....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Hi!

I'm considering doing journalism and new media. Anyone got any insights into the course??

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sarah_anne

hey guys thinking of going to UL nexy year... is it a good college for medicine???

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Claregirl5

Hi guys!

Could anyone post some details on the part-time Diploma in Guidance?

I am a teacher, considering a career change and would love to hear from present or past students in order to learn a bit more than the information on the college website.

Thanks a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aideenburke

can anyone tell me anythin bout the sport and exercise science course in ul, is it interestin etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 smurk

hi guys....any1 gt info on physio ...whats the physics aspect like??.......any ifo much apreciatd! whats UL like??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ceol go deo

Sophsxxx wrote: »
    Hi!

I'm considering doing journalism and new media. Anyone got any insights into the course??

You're not in 5th yr now by any chance are you? If so we could well end up on the same course as so far it looks like it will be number 1 on my CAO next year, the open day talk was v good. Would also like to hear from anyone studying this course to get some opinions on it? Does the fact that there haven't been any proven graduates of the degree course as of yet matter much in people's opinion/experience? I know DCU have a Journalism course with a good track record of graduates but the UL course sounds more interesting to me!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Sophsxxx wrote: »
    Hi!

Hope this can help:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055673587&highlight=journalism

smurk wrote: »
    hi guys....any1 gt info on physio ...whats the physics aspect like??.......any ifo much apreciatd! whats UL like??? :)

The only thread I could find was this one to help:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055660427&highlight=physio
    can anyone tell me anythin bout the sport and exercise science course in ul, is it interestin etc.?

Lastly this thread for SS:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055538531&highlight=sport+science

I know 2 students doing SS, one is in 3rd year and is heading to the UK on his work placement in January...the other is in 2nd year...

They always appear extremely busy lads, but its also in their nature...they are fit feckers, and are always involved in some sport or another..

The course does appear difficult to me, but then I'm bad at science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

You're not in 5th yr now by any chance are you? If so we could well end up on the same course as so far it looks like it will be number 1 on my CAO next year, the open day talk was v good. Would also like to hear from anyone studying this course to get some opinions on it? Does the fact that there haven't been any proven graduates of the degree course as of yet matter much in people's opinion/experience? I know DCU have a Journalism course with a good track record of graduates but the UL course sounds more interesting to me!:)

Nope. Repeating the leaving, i'm afraid. UL has only had the course for 2 years though so that's the reason for the lack of graduates. I prefer the course in UL because of the work experience for a year and it has a lot more content in various aspects of journalism and media. :D

• Advertisement

just wondering is there any course in ul that would be good for a career in trading?

Advertisement