Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Clearlier wrote: »
    I think that driverless cars will happen pretty quickly once the technology is there. The barriers to entry will just be too low. Add in people who are no longer able to drive (elderly, those with sight conditions etc.) and there'll be enough of a push that I could see it becoming the dominant technology with 20 years of its introduction.

Public transport vehicles are a different story and I completely agree that there's a long lead in time to get public trust for these. The technology has apparently been available to provide driverless trains since before the DART - I remember getting a talk in school from somebody a couple of years after the introduction of it saying that they had considered it but rejected it because of concerns about the public accepting it (there may also have been concerns about the unions response but these weren't mentioned!). There are some driverless trains in place now (not in Ireland) though and they seem to work well and be accepted. Planes would be another leap of faith but it's not that hard to see it happening eventually.

Light rail in London is driverless and has been for years

Freaked me out when I first used it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

errlloyd wrote: »
    One in three people who visit Bundoran die of despair, take your chances flying.

Could be worse, could be letterkenny

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Buer wrote: »
    Went into The Emerald Bar with my mate from Lurgan. He was very uncomfortable, was clear it wasn't his sort of crowd. Ended up leaving after one pint.

The pictures of the hunger strikers covering the walls probably should have been a warning signal for him.

I lived in Belfast for a year without any real problem, well any problem.

The murals (both sides), the peacewall, the painted pavements (both sides), the "I don't think you should go there Cat" when giving directions, unfortunately all add up...............

Unfortunately it ain't gonna happen :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

#manflu #notlongleft #prayforwang

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Bundoran is great as long as you stick to the surf crowd and bars like the bridge bar.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Could be worse, could be letterkenny

Wait, what's wrong with Letterkenny??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

.ak wrote: »
    Well you could sacrifice a row or two of seats, it's defo do-able but at a major cost.

eh....there is a door in the way!

Anyway, I'd be 99% sure nothing will come of this bar them changing the rules to always have two people in the cockpit. Not that that is without its flaws.

Anyway I'm getting a Lufthansa subsidiary A320 this evening so here's hoping...

Podge_irl wrote: »
    eh....there is a door in the way!

Anyway, I'd be 99% sure nothing will come of this bar them changing the rules to always have two people in the cockpit. Not that that is without its flaws.

Anyway I'm getting a Lufthansa subsidiary A320 this evening so here's hoping...

Will be the safest airline on the planet at the moment.

I flew Malaysia Airlines to KL / Bali and return in November. Always follow a storm! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

emmet02 wrote: »

Well that's, eh, random.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

dafuq

P_1 wrote: »
    dafuq

My understanding is that they do a quick search on-line for certain types of website and check to see if they are updated.

If they aint - they taint.

Not just ISIS but hackers in general do this.

My understanding is that they do a quick search on-line for certain types of website and check to see if they are updated.

Or they're taking aim squarely against Grafton Barber's excellent beard trimming service? :pac:

What do you mean check to see if they are updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭b.gud

Possibly that vulnerabilities get found, such as the heartbleed one from a while back, but certain sites which aren't that well maintained never take the updates that fix the vulnerability.

I'm not a developer but have set up a couple of wordpress sites so this is going to be really basic.

Essentially when you put together a website, there is a server somewhere with the information stored on it. If you don't keep the software that runs your website up to date, eventually some part of it might become vulnerable.

One of my sites recently had an issue with a slider that came in a bundle and as such didn't automatically update. Thankfully my ISP has good malware detection and nothing happened but this is the sort of things that is all too common (especially wordpress).

Anyway - Grafton Barber shouldn't have much difficulty getting access back depending on who they are hosting with.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Their site uses Wordpress, it's by far the most common CMS on the internet. When a vulnerability is discovered they release and update to patch that out, however if the site isn't updated by whoever runs graftonbarbers.com then the vulnerability is still there.

There is also 3rd party software that comes into it more often than not, where they install plugins/themes made by 3rd parties. These are often far less securely coded and the source of a lot of problems.

The hackers will just write a script that crawls the internet looking for a specific vulnerability, and then automatically exploit any sites that they find with the vulnerability (and email the guy running it so he can boast to his friends). If you're wondering why this hacker (purporting to be ISIS) would target Grafton Barbers, it's because they most likely didn't.

Boooooo.

You should never ruin a good story with the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

ISIS = some spotty 16 year old nerd in a bedroom somewhere laughing his little ass off.

• Advertisement

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057404767/1/#post94866837

That thread will be worth keeping an eye on.....when I first joined boards, it was with the intention of accessing the footie fora and posting there alone.
    I didn't even apply, I stumbled across the rugby threads and found people who knew what they were talking about, whose opinions i wnjoyed and respected, while the debates can get heated at times (mea culpa) I wouldn't have it any other way......I'm either feeling the love today...or my temp being over 40° is making me delirious !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Wang King wrote: »

That thread will be worth keeping an eye on.....when I first joined boards, it was with the intention of accessing the footie fora and posting there alone.
    I didn't even apply, I stumbled across the rugby threads and found people who knew what they were talking about, whose opinions i wnjoyed and respected, while the debates can get heated at times (mea culpa) I wouldn't have it any other way......I'm either feeling the love today...or my temp being over 40° is making me delirious !

It's an unbelievably bitter article

Tox56 wrote: »
    It's an unbelievably bitter article

I see you tossed a few lemon grenades in there and all :)

Wang King wrote: »

I was going to comment but need permission to post or am banned for that forum for some random reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I was going to comment but need permission to post or am banned for that forum for some random reason?

Soccer forum attracts a very large number of seagulls, so in order to protect their sanity they require you to post and ask for permission to receive posting access to the forum. A good idea for them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What's funny are the comments in the thread about Irish soccer fans preferring to see some skill and creativity, which rugby doesn't have. I genuinely laughed out loud there. Soccer is a more accessible game. It's a lot more straight forward and easier to understand. Which means it requires next to no effort to watch and follow. It's easy in that sense. Rugby isn't. And that reduces the potential fan base, but also makes it for me. There's room for both.

What was funniest about the article was the complaints about how the media treat the two sports. Ken would want to have a look at his own colleagues for that and not the rugby correspondents. That their own fans and their own correspondents are "cruel and nasty" then that's nothing to do with rugby. And if they want to talk about Robbie Keane being one of the best in the world then it is only them stopping them. Again, nothing to do with rugby. That Irish rugby fans and media are a bit more reasonable is as much a comment on the state of the soccer fans and media as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Yeah I was gonna give my opinion in that thread but basically all it's turned into is a bashing of rugby by people who clearly don't like the game. It's not even as discussion, just one sided smearing.

Don't get me wrong I love both games but it's clear those there want to put the growth of rugby down to success and the supposed subsequent bandwagon that's occurred when they're ignoring that the sport of rugby is growing everywhere.

I think the fact that the soccer forum needs posting restrictions full-time says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I don't know if you're watching the GAA tonight but my god its an awful game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

durkadurka wrote: »
    I don't know if you're watching the GAA tonight but my god its an awful game.

Happy with the result but what a godawful game of football - I hate that blanket defence "style". A 3-3 draw in rugby would be far more entertaining than that...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement