Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

S12b wrote: »

Wow, that is awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

its_phil wrote: »
    I wouldn't want Mils playing at 15, never mind 13.
    Suspect miah at 10 with Craig at 12 (though likely Craig will get place kicking responsibilities). What bothers me about miah or jack at 10 is primarily that Craig has a more physical presence. This is borne out by the tries he has scored. He makes the oppositions defence honest. If they see jack or miah they know play will be one-dimensional which means the centres will be killed. This would be unfortunate particularly since we won't be fielding our strongest centres.

So by not playing Craig at out-half we really are magnifying a lack of resources at centre. So if we go with miah/jack at out-half and Craig and dani at centre I fear for back line as a whole. One thing is sure is that Craig and dani will know they've played a game of rugby come the end of the game. As for who plays wing or full back becomes irrelevant as they will likely not get the chance to be involved. With them it would just be damage management.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

ouncer wrote: »
    Suspect miah at 10 with Craig at 12 (though likely Craig will get place kicking responsibilities). What bothers me about miah or jack at 10 is primarily that Craig has a more physical presence. This is borne out by the tries he has scored. He makes the oppositions defence honest. If they see jack or miah they know play will be one-dimensional which means the centres will be killed. This would be unfortunate particularly since we won't be fielding our strongest centres.

So by not playing Craig at out-half we really are magnifying a lack of resources at centre. So if we go with miah/jack at out-half and Craig and dani at centre I fear for back line as a whole. One thing is sure is that Craig and dani will know they've played a game of rugby come the end of the game. As for who plays wing or full back becomes irrelevant as they will likely not get the chance to be involved. With them it would just be damage management.

There isn't a lack of resources at center so much as a lack of available resources with Bundee, Mcsharry and Robbie out. You have to make do with what you got and Craig at 12 is the best option this weekend. To claim the wings and fullbacks will be "irrelevant" is hyperbole of the highest order.

While Jack may not run the greatest backline ever seen, he is capable of running it and he isn't going to be the first out-half ever targeted in defence. You'd swear he's going to throw an intercept at every available occasion and the centers will never recieve the ball. Ronaldson will move to first receiver undoubtedly at different stages too.

Honestly, do you pick a new young player every quarter to induce with OTT criticisim?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Evil_g wrote: »
    That is a masterpiece of incomprehensible gibberish right there.

The rules for qualification are set out a little clearer here:

http://http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbychampionscup/qualification/index.php

It looks like you are correct. The Pro12 Representative in the play offs will be the 7th placed team in the league (assuming the Italians stay bottom).

This is the second time they've changed it by the way.

On the afternoon of the 26th of January, and presumably for quite a while beforehand, the page linked above stated that:

By the evening of the 26th of January this had changed to:

Source

Today it reads:

These guys make the FAI look like Google.

So in other words, the Challenge Cup winner only qualifies for the playoffs if it's an English club??? If it's a French or Pro12 club the 7th/8th place team still makes playoffs at their expense if they haven't already qualified... :confused:

Didn't pick on jack (is there something I don't know). What I said is if you have jack OR miah at out half you expose your centres as to the opposition its obvious they are so one dimensional. So you immediately expose your centres.

You put Craig at 10 then his physicality ensures that the centres are in some way protected as the gain line can be broken from different areas. If jack/miah takes the 10 I struggle to understand how any gain line could possibly be broken. If I were a Munster coach I would be very happy with either miah or jack at 10.

At which point since we go backwards explain the relevance of wingers or full back.

So the other side. You put Craig at 10. Now he drags in the cover as he is a credible threat (and no jack or miah are not credible threats). So the centres are more protected and the wingers and full back have opportunities from the recycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

ouncer wrote: »
    Didn't pick on jack (is there something I don't know). What I said is if you have jack OR miah at out half you expose your centres as to the opposition its obvious they are so one dimensional. So you immediately expose your centres.

You put Craig at 10 then his physicality ensures that the centres are in some way protected as the gain line can be broken from different areas. If jack/miah takes the 10 I struggle to understand how any gain line could possibly be broken. If I were a Munster coach I would be very happy with either miah or jack at 10.

At which point since we go backwards explain the relevance of wingers or full back.

So the other side. You put Craig at 10. Now he drags in the cover as he is a credible threat (and no jack or miah are not credible threats). So the centres are more protected and the wingers and full back have opportunities from the recycle.

You'd swear Jack and Miah jump out of the way of tackles or never broken the gainline before. Out-half targeted by opposition, isn't a tactic reserved solely for Jack or Miah and the way Connacht defend means we don't commit numbers at ruck time so forwards spread out across defensive line. The only time of one on one targeting in defense is going to be at set piece and you expect your open side to be helping at scrum time out there regardless of the team.

If you want to see Craig and Jack working together, and breaking the gain line, go watch Muldowney try from McCartney line out vs cardiff at 68th minute.

Honestly your logic of how it all plays out sounds like a simulation from Football Manager 2015.

its_phil wrote: »
    You'd swear Jack and Miah jump out of the way of tackles or never broken the gainline before. Out-half targeted by opposition, isn't a tactic reserved solely for Jack or Miah and the way Connacht defend means we don't commit numbers at ruck time so forwards spread out across defensive line. The only time of one on one targeting in defense is going to be at set piece and you expect your open side to be helping at scrum time out there regardless of the team.

If you want to see Craig and Jack working together, and breaking the gain line, go watch Muldowney try from McCartney line out vs cardiff at 68th minute.

Honestly your logic of how it all plays out sounds like a simulation from Football Manager 2015.

At least its not football manager 2005.. That would suggest I was outdated☺

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Dan mcfarland joined glasgow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭b.gud

freyners wrote: »
    Dan mcfarland joined glasgow

Has it been officially announced? heard that rumour alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Anyone know of any area of the stadium where any traveling Connacht fans will be grouped. Thinking of heading down but will have 2 6 year olds with me so would prefer seating. I think the clan will be in a terrace, anyone know which one?
    thanks in advance.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Anyone know of any area of the stadium where any traveling Connacht fans will be grouped. Thinking of heading down but will have 2 6 year olds with me so would prefer seating. I think the clan will be in a terrace, anyone know which one?
    thanks in advance.....

East terrace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

connacht clan will be in the East Terrace I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Angelo.J197

Anyone know if Connacht are still doing u19 open trials? And if so is there any form I could fill? Anyone I could get in contAct with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭testtech05

Guys,

Taking my brother down to his 1st game tomorrow night. Never been to Thomand before myself just wondering whats the best approach to take with parking etc? We will be driving down from Galway city.
    Any info would be great?

Connacht team to face Munster

15. Tiernan O’Halloran
    14. Darragh Leader
    13. Danie Poolman
    12. Craig Ronaldson
    11. Matt Healy
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Tom McCartney
    3. Rodney Ah You
    4. Mick Kearney
    5. Aly Muldowney
    6. John Muldoon (captain)
    7. Eoghan Masterson
    8. George Naoupu

Replacements:

16. Shane Delahunt
    17. Ronan Loughney
    18. Finlay Bealham
    19. Quinn Roux
    20. Eoin McKeon
    21. John Cooney
    22. Shane O’Leary
    23. Conor Finn

Unavailable/Injured: Jason Harris-Wright, Sean Henry, Nathan White, Michael Swift, Mata Fifita, Willie Faloon, Jake Heenan, Bundee Aki, Robbie Henshaw, Dave McSharry, Niyi Adeolokun.

Bit surprised that TOH and Leader aren't the other way around

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

b.gud wrote: »
    Ditto. Team's as I expected and I'm happy with it. I haven't really seen any of O'Leary in action so I'll be interested to see how he goes when he gets on.

testtech05 wrote: »
    Guys,

Taking my brother down to his 1st game tomorrow night. Never been to Thomand before myself just wondering whats the best approach to take with parking etc? We will be driving down from Galway city.
    Any info would be great?

I usually park around the Ennis Road and walk the rest of the way, handy for getting away afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Anyone know if Connacht are still doing u19 open trials? And if so is there any form I could fill? Anyone I could get in contAct with?
    You could try contact the branch offices in the Sportsground

Emails and phone numbers for the Development officers etc are on link below. Try Elwood, Charlie Cooper etc
    http://domestic.connachtrugby.ie/staff-201213
    testtech05 wrote: »
    Guys,

Taking my brother down to his 1st game tomorrow night. Never been to Thomond before myself just wondering whats the best approach to take with parking etc? We will be driving down from Galway city.
    Any info would be great?
    Anywhere in Cahirdavin, around Greenhills hotel should be good especially if you're in rush to get away after game.

Anywhere in Cahirdavin, around Greenhills hotel should be good especially if you're in rush to get away after game.

That's a pretty long walk, you can usually get parking much further in and walk up Shelbourne Road to the ground. Never had a problem parking there or getting away easily afterwards.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    Ditto. Team's as I expected and I'm happy with it. I haven't really seen any of O'Leary in action so I'll be interested to see how he goes when he gets on.

am i right in thinking he covers 10,12 and 13?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

yup, also thought be Masterson 8 and McKeon 7

decent team regardless, but it is a very strong Munster team so not exactly optimistic

Here's the Munster team

15. Felix Jones
    14. Keith Earls
    13. Andrew Smith
    12. Denis Hurley (captain)
    11. Simon Zebo
    10. Ian Keatley
    9. Duncan Williams

1. John Ryan
    2. Eusebio Guinazu
    3. Stephen Archer
    4. Donncha O’Callaghan
    5. Billy Holland
    6. Dave O’Callaghan
    7. Tommy O’Donnell
    8. CJ Stander

Replacements:
    16. Duncan Casey
    17. Dave Kilcoyne
    18. BJ Botha
    19. Paddy Butler
    20. Jack O’Donoghue
    21. Neil Cronin
    22. JJ Hanrahan
    23. Ronan O’Mahony

wprathead wrote: »
    yup, also thought be Masterson 8 and McKeon 7

decent team regardless, but it is a very strong Munster team so not exactly optimistic

Ya kinda feeling like that too. Think it's gonna be a really interesting match though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭testtech05

Zzippy wrote: »
    That's a pretty long walk, you can usually get parking much further in and walk up Shelbourne Road to the ground. Never had a problem parking there or getting away easily afterwards.

Thanks a lot Zzippy, my bro actually has a bad leg so didnt like the look of the walk from Cahirdavin. Might head down good and early and try the Shelbourne Rd approach instead, cheers!!

Pro12 had an article this morning

freyners wrote: »
    Pro12 had an article this morning

Not doubting you or anything but do you have a link, I can't seem to find it on the site and no mention of it on the Glasgow twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/dan-mcfarland-agrees-to-join-glasgow-warriors-1-3730670

Not doubting you or anything but do you have a link, I can't seem to find it on the site and no mention of it on the Glasgow twitter

Wprathead just posted it, it was a retweet not an article, my bad

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »

Tend to look at the replacements to understand a team strategy. First up is that its strange to see toh/darragh positions reversed. Has been a while since darragh played wing so you would have expected toh at wing and darragh (in his more familiar position) at full back. Then no sign of mils on bench (injured or not required?).

Then you have two centres on the bench. Would indicate possible change with replacements to centre and dani to wing and Craig to out half.

Just wish this was the main strategy rather than a backup.

Advertisement