Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think Glasgow are going to win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

awec wrote: »

Yup. Understrength Leinster sides have been absolutely awful this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

awec wrote: »

Me too. Not really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

****e weather presumably helps Leinster though? Glasgow likey the offloady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I wonder why Jordi gets to start and Healy doesnt? He's purring, he should play.

Even if Mattie is holding certain guys back for Europe, he shouldnt, as everyone could use a game under their belt.

Wouldn't have been his decision. Healy started against Scotland and that straight away ruled him out, ditto Fitzgerald.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mhcwauqlmhmh/rss2/

MOC giving out that some internationals aren't allowed play this week? Yeah, let's just fog wm to death...

#InJoeWeTrust

dregin wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mhcwauqlmhmh/rss2/

MOC giving out that some internationals aren't allowed play this week? Yeah, let's just fog wm to death...

#InJoeWeTrust

Genuine question. Did you read the article? Or just the headline?

The actual quotes are very much about that being the situation and having to get on with it etc, no actual complaints.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Genuine question. Did you read the article? Or just the headline?

The actual quotes are very much about that being the situation and having to get on with it etc, no actual complaints.

Did you
    moc wrote:
    “There was a conversation,” “How two-way it was is debatable.”

“The management system needs to be restructured,”

“I think it hurts the league. There’s a lot of games in the PRO12 that are impacted on by the lack of availability from test players.

“If we’re talking about competing with the bigger Leagues in Europe, in relation to the Top 14 and the Premiership and the ability to maximise the commercial potential of those, we need to look at how often the very best marquee players are playing PRO12 rugby for Leinster.”

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Did you

Tbh I agree with MOC, but that's always been my stance. I think the management of players needs to be looked at again. The stats don't even prove that it helps prevent injuries or wear and there.

The fact is the IRFU were well aware of the scheduling in advance of a potentially major game for play off spot against a traditionally strong side... And they ensure they get out with one hand tied behind their back.

My understanding of it should be the players should ALWAYS be made available, but have a strict amount of minutes they can play per half season (determined by how much test footy they play)

Did you

Yeah I think they're fair enough observations, aren't they? In relation to this game he said:
    "There was a conversation, how two-way it was is debatable," he confirmed. "It's not an issue for today, it's about trusting the blokes that we've got."

And
    “That’s the system,” O’Connor continued. “Their guys are playing and we haven’t got a full group to pick from. That’s what we have been dealt. There is no point whinging about it. We’ve got to get the best out of those we’ve got and get a result.”

Seems like he was asked a question, he gave a reasonable answer. But sure whatever, the guy is going to get flak whatever he says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Why doesnt he just get on with it and keep his mouth zipped?
    So, did he give Fitzgerald, who only started one Six Nations game, the week off?

"No, that's the decision that the Irish management made in relation to the player management system," confirmed O'Connor.

Asked had he suggested a loosening of the arrangement, the Australian also answered in the negative.

"There was a conversation, how two-way it was is debatable," he confirmed. "It's not an issue for today, it's about trusting the blokes that we've got.

Its Fitzgerald ffs!! We all know the history. Just ZIP it.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I may be wrong but it sounds like the excuses are starting early.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its Fitzgerald ffs!! We all know the history. Just ZIP it.

So what about his history? There is no evidence that this will help him avoid another injury. Half his injuries were in training.

MOC is right to be annoyed that Fitz can't play. He played ONE 6N game ffs. Its stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah I think they're fair enough observations, aren't they? In relation to this game he said:

And

Seems like he was asked a question, he gave a reasonable answer. But sure whatever, the guy is going to get flak whatever he says.

Ah come on TF he's obviously complaining. He's said the thing needs to be reviewed, that it's damaging the league and that the conversation on it isn't exactly a two way thing. How is that not complaining!?

Also the internationals have played a fair bit this season. After this weekend Heaslip will have played in 13 of Leinsters 24 games. Seems low right? Factor in that 4 of those were during the 6 Nations and 1 was the week before the AIs kicked off (when he had to be in Ireland camp) and this will be his 6th and possibly last game rested. That's 6 of a potential 24 league games. Is that really that huge a deal? Don't we have several players in the squad today that have 6 Nations medals?

EDIT: Heaslip has played a total of 20 games this season and has missed 1 through injury. That's a lot of game time with 2 months left in the season. They are off the back of a Championship win with a 6 day turnaround. Anyone who started the last 2 games of the 6 Nations should be rested ahead of the Euro QF. Regarding Fitz I'm not sure what the logic is there, but unless people think that the logic is that Joe wants to shaft Leinster I am choosing to believe there is a decent reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

MOC's name was in an newspaper article, so of course people are going to find any way to criticise whatever he said, regardless of the content. As usual. The fact that pretty much every other provincial coach says the same thing is irrelevant. The same thing was pointed out by Schmidt when he was Leinster coach and Penney when he was Munster coach, the popularity of those coaches and the controversy caused by their comments have an inverse relationship to MOC and reaction to this article of course, but the people have spoken.

The system is arbitrary and of questionable benefit, but the only groups who are really in any position to push against it are provincial coaches and provincial medical teams, and so they do when given good opportunity. This is an obvious example of a good opportunity. The IRFU don't care if their welfare system is too aggressive, their focus is completely on the international game (and that is a logical position for them to take), so its good that appropriate people are ensuring the topic is still on the table.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ah come on TF he's obviously complaining. He's said the thing needs to be reviewed, that it's damaging the league and that the conversation on it isn't exactly a two way thing. How is that not complaining!?

Also the internationals have played a fair bit this season. After this weekend Heaslip will have played in 13 of Leinsters 24 games. Seems low right? Factor in that 4 of those were during the 6 Nations and 1 was the week before the AIs kicked off (when he had to be in Ireland camp) and this will be his 6th and possibly last game rested. That's 6 of a potential 24 league games. Is that really that huge a deal? Don't we have several players in the squad today that have 6 Nations medals?

EDIT: Heaslip has played a total of 20 games this season and has missed 1 through injury. That's a lot of game time with 2 months left in the season. They are off the back of a Championship win with a 6 day turnaround. Anyone who started the last 2 games of the 6 Nations should be rested ahead of the Euro QF. Regarding Fitz I'm not sure what the logic is there, but unless people think that the logic is that Joe wants to shaft Leinster I am choosing to believe there is a decent reason for it.

Hang on, you can't just point to Jamie Heaslip and use him to defend the entire program.

Luke Fitzgerald needs game time. How do you justify holding him out?

I sense a shifting of goalposts here.

The complaints above relate more to the timing of a key match a week after the 6N and the fact that we have to go into the HEC QF with the bulk of our team not having played in blue for quite a while.

Are these not legitimate points to raise? Does anyone disagree with them? Have posters here not said the exact same thing?

That several members of tonight's squad have 6n medals is probably why he talks about getting on with it, having faith in the guys selected etc.

The issue is not what was said but who said it. If Joe had said the exact same thing during Kidney's reign we'd all be agreeing enthusiastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Podge_irl wrote: »
    So what about his history? There is no evidence that this will help him avoid another injury. Half his injuries were in training.

MOC is right to be annoyed that Fitz can't play. He played ONE 6N game ffs. Its stupid

Well im no medical expert. but it makes perfect sense to me.
    & if the Ireland management told Leinster that he should be eased back in (on the bench) thats good enough for me.
    He has McFadden and Kearney starting on the wings!!!!
    Again ZIP it Matt.... and just get on with it.

.ak wrote: »
    Tbh I agree with MOC, but that's always been my stance. I think the management of players needs to be looked at again. The stats don't even prove that it helps prevent injuries or wear and there.

The fact is the IRFU were well aware of the scheduling in advance of a potentially major game for play off spot against a traditionally strong side... And they ensure they get out with one hand tied behind their back.

My understanding of it should be the players should ALWAYS be made available, but have a strict amount of minutes they can play per half season (determined by how much test footy they play)

It's a 6 day turnaround from an international window and a week in advance of a Euro QF. If you're not going to rest guys then you never will. Some perspective wouldn't go amiss here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

When you look back at previous seasons Leinster have always struggled because of the Irish players welfare system.

Something which has never been said until.....................

• Advertisement

I sense a shifting of goalposts here.

The complaints above relate more to the timing of a key match a week after the 6N and the fact that we have to go into the HEC QF with the bulk of our team not having played in blue for quite a while.

Are these not legitimate points to raise? Does anyone disagree with them? Have posters here not said the exact same thing?

That several members of tonight's squad have 6n medals is probably why he talks about getting on with it, having faith in the guys selected etc.

The issue is not what was said but who said it. If Joe had said the exact same thing during Kidney's reign we'd all be agreeing enthusiastically.

Personally I think the scheduling is the issue here, not the player welfare system. And that's the problem I have with MOCs comments. In the context of this week they are total nonsense. The internationals should not be playing this week under any circumstance. That a key fixture is scheduled for this week is what should be getting the attention.

But has Joe said similar in the past? Yes. Do I have some sympathy with provincial coaches? Yes. Do I agree? Not entirely. In terms of comparing them I'd need to look back at game time in previous seasons (on the mobile here so not so easy to do). It's my sense (and I could be totally wrong) that internationals have been made more available this season than previous seasons.

It's a 6 day turnaround from an international window and a week in advance of a Euro QF. If you're not going to rest guys then you never will. Some perspective wouldn't go amiss here.....

This might be a relevant point if MOC was arguing that every single Irish player should be made available and playing. He's not saying that though.

Teams who aren't under such a restrictive and blind policy are perfectly capable of making their own judgements on player welfare, it's pointless assuming we would be any different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Personally I think the scheduling is the issue here, not the player welfare system. And that's the problem I have with MOCs comments. In the context of this week they are total nonsense. The internationals should not be playing this week under any circumstance. That a key fixture is scheduled for this week is what should be getting the attention.

This would be a key fixture no matter who we were playing though because its the last game before the European quarter-final...

And that's what the bulk of MOC's comments relate to; the scheduling. So how is it nonsense?

Hang on, you can't just point to Jamie Heaslip and use him to defend the entire program.

Luke Fitzgerald needs game time. How do you justify holding him out?

I'm on the phone so the fact that I did even that should be enough! :p

Heaslip is an example, I edited my post after to say that I don't know what the logic is for Fitz, but unless we think Joe is looking to shaft Leinster I'm happy to believe there's a genuine reason.

Just like you can't use just one player to defend the entire program, you can't use just one to tear it down.

BTW Rob has played the same number of games for Leinster as Heaslip and this will be just his 6th rest this season. He's played 21 games this season so far having not been injured. Jack McGrath has played just 1 game less.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

But has Joe said similar in the past? Yes. Do I have some sympathy with provincial coaches? Yes. Do I agree? Not entirely. In terms of comparing them I'd need to look back at game time in previous seasons (on the mobile here so not so easy to do). It's my sense (and I could be totally wrong) that internationals have been made more available this season than previous seasons.

I agree with you here - I don't think that this season is any different from other seasons in that regard. I just hate to hear this coming from MOC now - he seems to be making his excuses before anyone sets foot on the pitch this evening.

vienne86 wrote: »
    I agree with you here - I don't think that this season is any different from other seasons in that regard. I just hate to hear this coming from MOC now - he seems to be making his excuses before anyone sets foot on the pitch this evening.

This season IS very different. Get out your calendar and see why.

I'm on the phone so the fact that I did even that should be enough! :p

Heaslip is an example, I edited my post after to say that I don't know what the logic is for Fitz, but unless we think Joe is looking to shaft Leinster I'm happy to believe there's a genuine reason.

Just like you can't use just one player to defend the entire program, you can't use just one to tear it down.

BTW Rob has played the same number of games for Leinster as Heaslip and this will be just his 6th rest this season. He's played 21 games this season so far having not been injured. Jack McGrath has played just 1 game less.

I really don't get why you're defending the system while also saying you don't understand the logic behind it. And also thinking that your belief in Schmidt is relevant to it, when I see little evidence that it is. There's actually no indication that Schmidt had anything to do with this decision (or the programme which he has detracted from in the past), everything we've heard suggests it's a rigid set of rules which is absurdly rigidly applied to everyone.

Do you believe that the clubs across Europe starting internationals tonight who played 6 days ago are all getting it wrong? Obviously there's no evidence their players condition is negatively affected by this. You are suggesting you think Leinster want to start every single one of the guys who started last weekend (by bringing up guys like Heaslip), but clearly we see that clubs make individual decisions and rest guys coming out of the 6 Nations where they believe it's needed. Haskell/Warburton this weekend as an example. I see absolutely no reason why you would think this is a better policy than just imposing blanket decisions on players and taking the decision out of the hands of the medical staff who work with the players week-in, week-out at provincial level (far more than the IRFU's staff).

I mean Fitzgerald was been wrapped in cotton wool during his return, clearly Leinster have been in no rush to push him faster than is needed. Why would they want to play him this weekend if there was any risk involved? This sort of system frustrates the players, frustrates the coaches, and it should be frustrating you as well.

Well MO'C can't really say anything at the moment. Fans and Media can smell blood and are baying for it.

I don't think he has been brilliant for Leinster - but the scheduling of games and the sheer volume Leinster have lost to both internationals and injury have really hampered our season.

His complaints today are fair. Some of them are nothing new but I think this season is up there in terms of disruption to key players.

The unfortunate part for MO'C is that we've lost some fixtures that we shouldn't have and a loss tonight will probably mean this is our worst season in terms of losses in a decade?

Struggle to see is making the play off's at this rate though I do think we will account for Bath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You cannot tell in August when fixing dates what will be key games in March, as no teams has fixed form. I bet Glasgow didnt think theyd be playing Leinster in 5th place at this time of the season.

The Pro12 has to carry on with its task regardless. Player management is a matter for the clubs and unions. Although it does seems to be wildly inconsistent. Fitzgerald and Healy dont need this game off, they should be playing. Why doesnt Jordi get a rest?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement