Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bredacq

Reading above posts again, the deadline for on campus accommodation is in February?
    I'm sure for 1st years it's later than that though...
    I applied in August!
    How can you put money down for a course you don't know you've got yet?!

On campus accommodation for first year opened up the beginning of Feb but was closed within 2 weeks as they were full and already had a waiting list. It normally stays open until April apparently but there seemed to be a panic on this year for some reason. They are still taking bookings for returning students, just not for first years. A new waiting list will open up on Aug 17th apparently. I suppose things will change a lot that week when the offers come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 username 2212

bredacq wrote: »
    Did you find out whether Groody or Brookfield is a better choice for first years? Groody seems to be closer. Brookfield has Sky Sports ( I presume in each apparent but I'm not sure) but Brookfield isn't linked in the UL accommodation page whereas the others are. This makes me wonder if Brookfield isn't geared towards too many first years?
    Also Brookfield require a smaller deposit and administration fee than the others.

Brookfield website says their full.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mmarch2

Hi everyone, does anyone know if Cappavilla/Quigley Residence would still be open to international post grad students? I applied a week ago but have yet to hear anything back. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bredacq

Try calling them to check the status of your application. The contact number should be on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

If anyone has questions about Brookfield pm me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 MY Su

Hi, all,

I'm wondering about if Brookfield Hall is a good place to stay for me. I'll in 1-year post-grad programme from this Sept. I would like to share an apartment with no more than 3 other mates, and I prefer mature students. Is there anymore who stayed in Brookfield can give me some clue about it? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

What's Brookfield like? I'm tempted to stay there in September due to the shuttle buses and en-suites with a nice fee of 3.7k for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CheyK

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    What's Brookfield like? I'm tempted to stay there in September due to the shuttle buses and en-suites with a nice fee of 3.7k for the year.

It's definitely on the quieter side. The apartments are really big, if not slightly cold. Even the smaller rooms are a decent size. The staff and security are all lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Almen11

CheyK wrote: »
    It's definitely on the quieter side. The apartments are really big, if not slightly cold. Even the smaller rooms are a decent size. The staff and security are all lovely

Do the rental fees have to be paid for upfront or can they be paid weekly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Anyone lived in troy before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

CheyK wrote: »

I found the apartments too warm at times tbh. Never turned the radiator in my room on once all winter.

Regarding payments, there's like three different payment plans. Don't remember them now, but they're on the website.

Almen11 wrote: »
    Do the rental fees have to be paid for upfront or can they be paid weekly?

I don't know about weekly but you can pay it in instalments

I found the apartments too warm at times tbh. Never turned the radiator in my room on once all winter.

Regarding payments, there's like three different payment plans. Don't remember them now, but they're on the website.

I must just be a cold creature so!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 username 2212

Groody looks like a bit of a trek to college anyone know how long it would take by foot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Groody looks like a bit of a trek to college anyone know how long it would take by foot?

I've left that area and been at the library in 20 minutes. It can probably be done quicker. I can cycle from that area to the library in 7 minutes though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I'm a pretty slow walker and I can make the gate in 10/12 mins, then another maybe 8-10 to hit library. 5 mins from gate to KBS, 10 to main building, 12 to Courtyard, 18 to Health Science Building...
    Lots of people cycle though, wish I did tbf although with the places around it all offering shuttle buses, it's only a matter of time before they do.
    You heard it here first. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Eh, okay so now that my last installment of the grant has come in, I really need to put a deposit down somewhere. As before, looking for somewhere that isn't overly student-y (i.e. not college court etc) and isn't falling apart. Any ideas? Oh, and if I need to get a full house for somewhere, I'll be needing housemates too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

sup_dude wrote: »
    Eh, okay so now that my last installment of the grant has come in, I really need to put a deposit down somewhere. As before, looking for somewhere that isn't overly student-y (i.e. not college court etc) and isn't falling apart. Any ideas? Oh, and if I need to get a full house for somewhere, I'll be needing housemates too :pac:

Briarfield, or The Ceders are probably less student-y then most other estates. But really you'll probably find students in all of them. I think the accommodation office is releasing a list with all the landlords consolidated on Friday.

(Guessing you have a different grant than susi? Still three installments left to go on that.)

Stayed in the Beeches before.
    It's at the back of Briarfield.
    Mainly students but because it's back and out of the way, it's pretty quiet, even around R&G week.
    Alternatively, I know there's a very nice spot behind Groody, well the house I went into anyway.
    Depends how far you're willing to go..
    Would imagine parts of Elm park can get pretty noisy but same with Briarfield.
    Alternatively there's the city if you want to depend on the bus.. Not a thing I liked doing, but always an option.

Before my LC I planned on staying in one of the apartments across from Dunnes Stores but two people I was going to share with went elsewhere...
    Never thought of city again.
    There's places further up towards Aldi area too I think.
    Closer ones, I think The Park accom, besides Spar, was extremely expensive last I checked.

This is all dated information. Could be new houses since I've been to UL :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Briarfield, or The Ceders are probably less student-y then most other estates. But really you'll probably find students in all of them. I think the accommodation office is releasing a list with all the landlords consolidated on Friday.

(Guessing you have a different grant than susi? Still three installments left to go on that.)

I'm in Briarfield, it's nice, if a bit far away. Still 90% students I would say.

• Advertisement

Is there any houses in Briarfield left that aren't falling apart or freezing? Or am I asking too much :P

Have you any other ridiculously high standards? :P
    Actually stayed there twice, one shared it's indoor temperatures with the outdoor temperatures. I liked this house better actually.. :P
    I could see my breath when on my laptop at night though.. :S

Other house in Briarfield was the following year I got somewhere a little closer.. about 50 steps closer...
    The house was fine although I didn't use a lot of it besides my room, which was tiny. my fault, I applied too late but was paying a very small rent (60p/w) so I just went with it. Due to the fact that it was a small room though and I've an insufferable habit of breathing a lot; mould quickly became an issue. It used to run down windows, flow off windowsill and onto bed meaning I had to leave window open a lot, which meant once again, the temperature of my room was shared with that of the outdoors...
    Both houses I stayed it seemed pretty sound, new enough houses, but temperature was always an issue.. I liked the cold but always had one due to issues.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

sup_dude wrote: »
    Is there any houses in Briarfield left that aren't falling apart or freezing? Or am I asking too much :P

For the summer?

We have a room free I think, house is all lads though.

Daniel S wrote: »
    For the summer?

We have a room free I think, house is all lads though.

Nah, from September :)

Is this how early people usually put down deposits?
    Usually do mine in August :P
    You probably would get pick of the crop at this point though..
    Should make a boards house thread...
    Wish I had one for first years.. would've been nice to know people before entering.. :P

Is this how early people usually put down deposits?
    Usually do mine in August :P
    You probably would get pick of the crop at this point though..
    Should make a boards house thread...
    Wish I had one for first years.. would've been nice to know people before entering.. :P

Haha I do believe most people have their houses picked at this stage :D

Are you serious! :O
    Always an Autumn job for me for digs.. :O
    It's April!
    Booked Groody in July other year and thought I was really early :P
    Would be in Venice til June, can't look til then :(

Are you serious! :O
    Always an Autumn job for me for digs.. :O
    It's April!
    Booked Groody in July other year and thought I was really early :P
    Would be in Venice til June, can't look til then :(

I know for second year, we went looking in March and we got one of the last houses in College Court.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Stressed97 wrote: »
    Where would I find a list of private accommodation, since all student accommodation is booked out , left it too late silly me ta

If you send the accommodation office an email, or drop in to them, they'll give you a list of all the landlords they have on file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 LouStack

Hey I'm looking for a double room to rent for the summer and possibly longer in the Castletroy area. If anybody knows of a suitable place please let me know, thank you

Advertisement