Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biased News Reporting

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How many more threads of whining and victimhood narratives does this forum need?

Black people can be British so they are "natives". BME students are under represented at Cambridge.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Very bad example of biased news in the age we live in. They simply stated what he will do and took the quotes from him. Seems like a fine article to me.

And there's clearly a reason why he chose black kids. He's also black, and has seen the barriers to education that black kids in the UK face. There are plenty of other scholarships out there for white kids, usually sponsored by a white guy who went to a mostly white school.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    Very bad example of biased news in the age we live in. They simply stated what he will do and took the quotes from him. Seems like a fine article to me.

And there's clearly a reason why he chose black kids. He's also black, and has seen the barriers to education that black kids in the UK face. There are plenty of other scholarships out there for white kids, usually sponsored by a white guy who went to a mostly white school.

I don't think you understand the hurt that this causes the OP and why it's oppressing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Just saw on Sky News an article that makes wonder how biased the Media are against the local native populace, read article below:-

https://news.sky.com/story/stormzy-launches-cambridge-scholarship-for-black-students-11473885

If a White person said this was for White Students, what do you think the reaction would be?

Congratulations on holding what is one of the most common dumb opinions of modern times.

There is a huge difference between providing support only for a disadvantaged group (whatever that group may be), and providing support for a group that is perfectly well supported by society as it is.

People holding your opinion look at the world and think that everyone is born at the exact same spot on the starting line. Life doesn't work that way, capitalism doesn't work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I will honestly remember this era mostly for the constant 'if a *insert what gender/race I am* did this' nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just identity as Black OP. Problem solved.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I'm more concerned that in an article about education Sky News referred to Cambridge University collages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Odhinn

If a White person said this was for White Students, what do you think the reaction would be?

...but it isn't, so whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wheres the bias in the factually correct article exactly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Whilst I am concerned about obvious double standards such as the rush for one way only "colour blind casting" in entertainment (cf singer Beverley Knight playing Emmeline Pankhurst whilst white artists cannot appear in West Side Story as Maria or sing a standalone song from Dreamgirls.. I don't think this falls under that.

Stormzy may be a prick but it's his money and if he wants to give a leg up to people from his background, it's no one's concern really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just saw on Sky News an article that makes wonder how biased the Media are against the local native populace, read article below:-

https://news.sky.com/story/stormzy-launches-cambridge-scholarship-for-black-students-11473885

I don't think you fully grasp the concept of 'media bias'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

How many more threads of whining and victimhood narratives does this forum need?

I suppose he's a snowflake too, right?

Personally, I don't see victimhood narratives in the OP but when all you have's a hammer, all you see are nails. I say talking about the inherent double standards around racially based supports like this is fair game for discussion. I have no doubt these types of aids will continue in the name of diversity and affirmative action and I think criticism up to and including condemnation is fair game depending on the breadth of whatever double standards are being highlighted.

Just because you're opposed to an idea doesn't mean you're victimised literal Hitler. These types of comments do nothing but attempt to kill discussion dead, which you know well is why their flung around.

EDIT: agree with the post above. The news story has nothing to do with bias, btw.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't know OP. Maybe you should start your own whites-only Cambridge scholarship and find out?

Whilst I am concerned about obvious double standards such as the rush for one way only "colour blind casting" in entertainment (cf singer Beverley Knight playing Emmeline Pankhurst whilst white artists cannot appear in West Side Story as Maria or sing a standalone song from Dreamgirls.. I don't think this falls under that.

Same misguided opinion at the original poster. The reason a lot of these things seem "one way only" is because so much of society has been one-way only

in favour of a particular group (that is usually white, usually male, usually straight, usually able-bodied) for so long and continues to be.

Looking at the entertainment industry, in 2016 86% of lead actors in US movies were white. Now we have a bunch of white people complaining when someone tries to cast for diversity, saying things such as what you said - that it's "one way only".

No. Until aspects of society actually start to resemble the demographics of those societies, you can't say that it's unfair for examples of favouritism of minorities to exist: in other words, it's not "one way only" because the scales of balance still heavily favour those who are white, male, straight, able-bodied, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

MJohnston wrote: »
    Same misguided opinion at the original poster. The reason a lot of these things seem "one way only" is because so much of society has been one-way only

in favour of a particular group (that is usually white, usually male, usually straight, usually able-bodied) for so long and continues to be.

Looking at the entertainment industry, in 2016 86% of lead actors in US movies were white. Now we have a bunch of white people complaining when someone tries to cast for diversity, saying things such as what you said - that it's "one way only".

No. Until aspects of society actually start to resemble the demographics of those societies, you can't say that it's unfair for examples of favouritism of minorities to exist: in other words, it's not "one way only" because the scales of balance still heavily favour those who are white, male, straight, able-bodied, etc.

So, like Zimbabwe turfing out white farmers - two wrong make a right ?

I refuse to argue skewed "logic" like that so you're on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm more concerned that in an article about education Sky News referred to Cambridge University collages.
    They're very artistic there, you know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

The rapper told the BBC: "If you're academically brilliant, don't think because you come from a certain community that studying at one of the highest education institutions in the world isn't possible.

"I was always reminded by my teachers that I was destined, if I wanted, to go down that road and study at one of the top universities."

He sounds like a modest fellow.

So, like Zimbabwe turfing out white farmers - two wrong make a right ?

I refuse to argue skewed "logic" like that so you're on your own.

Zimbabwe is hardly a useful counter-example, given how white people ended up owning that land in the first place. Perhaps you're quite content with how the Protestant settlers acquired land in Northern Ireland?

"two wrong make a right" is your interpretation of what I said and it is completely wrong.

Let's take a simple example from that 86% white lead actors figure I posted above:
    • There is no "wrong" in trying to increase the 14% figure for lead actors who are minorities, and no "wrong" in certain directors or studios or whatever in saying they are looking for minorities only for certain projects.
    • There is a continuing "wrong" in the fact that 86% of lead roles only go to white people, and that this figure is still happening in 2018 (or 2016 when the stats were released).
    For reference, 62% of the US population are white. So if we get to a place where there are something like 65-70% of lead roles going to white actors, and the rest to minorities? Then we can maybe talk about whether "affirmative action" is still necessary (I lean towards saying it is, because there should be an addressing of the fact that the industry existed in such a minority-averse state for far too long).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

MJohnston wrote: »

in favour of a particular group (that is usually Jewish, usually male, usually straight, usually able-bodied) for so long and continues to be.

Looking at the entertainment industry, in 2016 86% of lead actors in US movies were Jews. Now we have a bunch of Jews complaining when someone tries to cast for diversity, saying things such as what you said - that it's "one way only".

No. Until aspects of society actually start to resemble the demographics of those societies, you can't say that it's unfair for examples of favouritism of minorities to exist: in other words, it's not "one way only" because the scales of balance still heavily favour those who are Jewish, male, straight, able-bodied, etc.

Looks bad don't you think?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Is it possible that perhaps these inner city Black students are not getting high enough grades to gain access these educational institutions?
    And using Zimbabwe and South Africa as examples is Waaayyyyyy off the mark.
    The first thing that happened in South Africa, when the farms were taken from White farmers by Force, was the new residents stripped the farms of Anything that could be sold, and then 2 years later state that the farms were unworkable.

So if using examples like that, Please be accurate with the information?

• Advertisement

Looks bad don't you think?:pac:

Yes, when you completely change the meaning of my post and add in complete lies, it does look bad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Between 2012 and 2016, Cambridge enrolled 0 black students.
    When this was brought up and given a lot of attention, in 2017 58 black students where enrolled.

Now that the university has somewhat removed it's blinkers, Stormzy is now giving the opportunity of funding 2 black youths, from disadvantaged areas, education in Cambridge. You'll find that going to Cambridge aint cheap, upwards of 9 grand a year.

I don't see any bias in the news reporting, maybe leaving out alot of the story is the problem here.

Is it possible that perhaps these inner city Black students are not getting high enough grades to gain access these educational institutions?

Yeah but think deeper on why.

Look at Ireland, where you can mostly discard race and just focus on opportunity - think of kids growing up in inner-city Dublin (and we're talking about the commonly accepted definition of what 'inner city' means here). The majority of these kids are going to go to school nearby, so they're going to be going to public schools only, likely under-funded. So they're already at a disadvantage compared to a kid who grows up elsewhere in Dublin who can maybe attend a much better private school.

The inner-city kids will have to work harder through the education system in order to get the same grades of a private school kid - there will be the odd gifted exception, but the fact is that if kids don't have access to better education, they simply won't be as well educated.

Then they grow up, do their Leaving Cert, where again they've likely had to work so much harder than someone from a private school to reach the same level. They succeed though, and get offers from some top universities (though address-discrimination has certainly prevented a few of their classmates from getting offers).

Now they have to face down the fact that they will have to pay fees to go to that college. That's likely much easier for the private school kids family. But, they scrimp and save and they get in (although again - even more of their inner city classmates have had to give up here because they couldn't afford it).

This is where scholarships come in by the way, why they're so important in helping disadvantaged groups (be they racial or class or whatever).

Now they go to college and maybe things become a level-playing field at this point but they probably don't. The better off students will be able to spend more time focusing on education, buying the textbooks and computer equipment they might need, not stressing about being able to afford student accommodation, etc. Whereas the inner city student might have that baggage, will probably have to work a part time job to afford everything, which takes time from their studies.

Sadly, they'll probably also still face discrimination at college too, even something as simple as accent snobbery is rife and can hinder their progress. Adds on wee bits of stress, makes college into a less welcoming environment.

I've described a student from the inner city who has made the absolute best out of their situation, but think about one of those kids who tried and failed, couldn't get the money together to afford college. They'll have to go straight from secondary school into a job, and unless they're extremely lucky, that job will not be well paid, it will have fewer career path prospects compared to what graduates will have.

By 30, they're likely to be still below the average wage, perhaps even below the poverty line. They have kids, probably earlier than the graduate, and they have to afford them too. Now the kids want to go to school, and that smaller wage has to pay for that - so the kids go to public schools. And probably can't afford college. And so on.

Go right back to the start of that cycle, and what was the difference between the inner city kid and the private school kid? Say they were almost identical in terms of physical and mental capabilities at the moment of their birth. The only thing different is where. And what choice did the child have in that? None. Yet, from the minute they start breathing, the system will start disadvantaging one of them and benefiting the other. It's an endless cycle - almost worse because the gap keeps getting bigger between those at the top and those at the bottom.

You can only break that cycle with social programs. Scholarships for disadvantaged areas or demographic groups. Better funding for public schools. Public welfare programs. Better public health care.

There's two ways of paying for these - private donations as per this Stormzy thing, and more progressive taxation which aims to reduce that "accident of birth" economic inequality (these two things shouldn't be mutually exclusive by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

And using Zimbabwe and South Africa as examples is Waaayyyyyy off the mark.
    The first thing that happened in South Africa, when the farms were taken from White farmers by Force, was the new residents stripped the farms of Anything that could be sold, and then 2 years later state that the farms were unworkable.

So if using examples like that, Please be accurate with the information?

I don't think anyone really supports the forceable repossession of property like occurred in Zimbabwe. .

That's not to say redistribution of land is wrong.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Land_Commission

Advertisement