Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get Pre Pay Power?

• 06-08-2018 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I live in an apartment where the electricity bill is split with other apartments in the building. This leads to obvious problems as some apartments use different amounts of power etc..

Apparently the landlady used to have meters for each apartment but got rid of them because the standing charges were too high..

Does anyone know of any solutions to this problem? Was thinking of going with Pinergy or some other prepay power. any suggestions would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I live in an apartment where the electricity bill is split with other apartments in the building. This leads to obvious problems as some apartments use different amounts of power etc..

Apparently the landlady used to have meters for each apartment but got rid of them because the standing charges were too high..

Does anyone know of any solutions to this problem? Was thinking of going with Pinergy or some other prepay power. any suggestions would be appreciated

Pinergy or PPP will solve this problem by putting in multiple meters attached to the one MPRN. But they need to take over the whole lot, not just one apartment.

I don’t know if your landlord was wise to have done this. It is a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

OSI wrote: »
    That doesn't make any sense when she doesn't have to pay them.

Exactly.

Tenants pay all charges.

I can only imagine what happens in the winter there with all portable heaters in use...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's hard to see how you're going to be able to get your own separate supply if the landlady has replaced all of the meters with one shared meter for the entire building,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 backofthenet90

wonski wrote: »
    Exactly.

Tenants pay all charges.

I can only imagine what happens in the winter there with all portable heaters in use...

It's a total nightmare. We have a fireplace in our apt which we use but everyone else just uses electric heaters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

OSI wrote: »
    That doesn't make any sense when she doesn't have to pay them.

It does when the tenant is on your case the whole time though.

Prepay electricity is only a good idea if you aren't disciplined with paying bills. Since Prepaypower and Pinergy entered the marked the rate of disconnections due to non payment of bills dropped through the floor. If you can keep on top of bills though, even just about, you're saving around €130 a year, that's without applying any discount to the rates which could run that figure up to €400+ depending on usage.

Advertisement