Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭manonboard

Sitamoia wrote: »
    "What gives you the right to say that?"

"I'm a clinical psychologist"

I loved the immediate powerful calmness in that moment. It was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

She did not even listen to what he was saying and heard only what she thought she heard. Also looks like she just read a couple of quotes from his book put together by researchers as well. She has no deep understanding of what he is saying. And she resorted to emotion rather than logic and facts.

She was completely destroyed on all facets of her arguments and counter arguments although I am sure she thinks she "won" the debate.

And lumping him in to the Alt-Right was disgraceful and intellectually dishonest. A complete ad-hominem side-swipe.

She really should watch the TED talk by Cassie Jaye where Jaye admitted that when she was conducting interviews with MRAs that she would be hearing them talk but would not be listening to what they were saying and "making up" what they really meant.

Exactly, sad part is she probably does think this and wont venture outside her own bubble - dismissing it all (including Jayes TED talk) as alt right fascist propaganda nonsense :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Wow that was painful to watch.
    I've had similar discussions with people online and in real life.
    The kind of person who's never had their ideas challenged, they just surround themselves with opinions that confirm their own.
    And then one day they talk to someone with a contradictory opinion and it's like their whole world just falls apart.
    It really shows the interviewer and Channel 4 in a bad light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

khaldrogo wrote: »
    As Been Sharpiro rightly says, if you call yourself a a man when you are clearly a woman or vice versa that's fine. But telling me that I have to do the same is wrong.(not verbatim)

If we all just follow along like sheep in this situation what we will have is a butt load of millennials constantly flip flopping genders for likes on social media while the actual real people with gender disphoria(sp) etc won't be any further along being accepted or considered normal as they should be.

EG. A man. John. John wants to be addressed as she. John does not want to be a woman (surgery) or even dress as a woman. John just wants to be addressed as she. John will still date woman, will still use male toilets, will still be in every way a male except he wants to be addressed as a she. This may sound ridiculous but I guarantee you that is happening somewhere in America right now.

This is the way the world is going thanks to all the PC bullsh1t and SJWs going around. Imo.

Worse is happening, you have almost 60 year old fat men that want to identify as 6 year old girls.

And the liberals love it, letting him play with their daughters and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCVRrybYWNE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Grayditch wrote: »
    Why do bloggers on the right always have to use terms like CRUSHED and DESTROYED!!!!'???

It's a bit embarrassing.

THIS 100 times this, or the fact that every other interesting commentator on the right seems to have their videos uploaded and poorly edited by yokels randomly cutting bits out and inserting american flags/patriotic music all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Ever see Noam Chomsky getting into twitter fights with journalists or celebrities?

No because he is an actual intellectual not like these spoofers Peterson. Shapiro is even worse. Lots of money to be made with the disaffected white male market though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

20Cent wrote: »
    Ever see Noam Chomsky getting into twitter fights with journalists or celebrities?

No because he is an actual intellectual not like these spoofers Peterson. Shapiro is even worse. Lots of money to be made with the disaffected white male market though.

Don't think Peterson got into a Twitter fight about this particular interview.

If anything, he was complimentary of Cathy Newman, thanked her for the debate, asked her if she would like an extended podcast on other issues related to the topics raised and asked those trolling her to desist.

Chomsky had his moments back in the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A clinical psychologist is a way better qualification if you're dealing with human behaviour.

Don't think Peterson got into a Twitter fight about this particular interview.

If anything, he was complimentary of Cathy Newman, thanked her for the debate, asked her if she would like an extended podcast on other issues related to the topics raised and asked those trolling her to desist.

His last few tweets sound like a teenage kid throwing in some long words to try and sound intelligent.

• Advertisement

His last few tweets sound like a teenage kid throwing in some long words to try and sound intelligent.

Just so you know,the butt hurt is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

kneemos wrote: »
    Just so you know,the butt hurt is obvious.

REKT!!!

;)

I Am Allah wrote: »
    Not at all. He destroyed someone in argument and because that person was a feminist you're desperately trying to paint him as petulant child.

Maybe just accept JP came out on top?

No putting words in my mouth.
    Didn't watch the video the have seen enough of him to know he's a charlatan cashing in. Don't care who "won" or lost the "debate" it's not a sport with sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Sand

That was some painful viewing. Newman was clearly fully briefed with all the 4th wave feminist talking points for an attack interview on the patriarchal chauvinist pig. Peterson just completely outclassed her. I don't think she laid a glove on him.

Interviews and exchanges of ideas would be better served by non-ideological interviewers. Nothing Peterson said was especially controversial and he referred to evidence and relevant research when saying them. Ideology - wishing something wasn't so - is not too effective at disproving evidence based positions. Newman is probably wishing she had prepared better.

As Peterson said though, fair play to C4 for putting it up there uncut. There must have been a strong urge to recut the interview to try make Peterson look bad, but it was so one sided I guess Newman left them with nothing to work with.

I Am Allah wrote: »
    You very much care since you're trying to portray him as 'charlatan' and a 'teenager' throwing tantrums. So what's next? A literal Nazi?

I don't like spoofers that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

I don't like spoofers that's all.

Which one of his points do you refute?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

how can anyone be critical of peterson? he only seems to want everyone to be happy well adjusted individuals. how is he a bad guy to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

emo72 wrote: »
    how can anyone be critical of peterson? he only seems to want everyone to be happy well adjusted individuals. how is he a bad guy to anyone?

“Cos he won against my side”

emo72 wrote: »

what's a well adjusted individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭brevity

Twitter isn't Peterson's best medium imo. He's better suited to YouTube.

It was nice to see someone put, however silly, opposing points of view towards him as very few people want to go up against him.

As usual, everything is being blown out of proportion. Two adults can't have a heated conversation without people clutching their rosary beads and calling people bullys or snowflakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

what's a well adjusted individual?

Someone who takes responsibility for their own life without constantly looking for a bogieman who is keeping them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

brevity wrote: »
    Twitter isn't Peterson's best medium imo. He's better suited to YouTube.

It was nice to see someone put, however silly, opposing points of view towards him as very few people want to go up against him.

As usual, everything is being blown out of proportion. Two adults can't have a heated conversation without people clutching their rosary beads and calling people bullys or snowflakes

I think what C4 and other outlets need to learn from this is, that if you interview or debate someone like Peterson, you need to dial down the emotion and ad-hominem attacks and argue against him with facts, logic and reason.

And if he is, as 20Cent says, a spoofer, that should be a piece of piss really, shouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭political analyst

buried wrote: »
    Its amazing how much modern day news has evolved into exactly what Brasseye was

I find it quite enjoyable. For example, the present version of the theme tune of News at Ten (ITV) would be quite apt as background music for video footage of armed combat, e.g. a battle in a war or between armed police and terrorists. News at Ten is one of the coolest news programmes on TV!

For example, it would be an apt background tune for the following scene in "London Has Fallen" (especially 30 seconds into the clip).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭brevity

I think what C4 and other outlets need to learn from this is, that if you interview or debate someone like Peterson, you need to dial down the emotion and ad-hominem attacks and argue against him with facts, logic and reason.

And if he is, as 20Cent says, a spoofer, that should be a piece of piss really, shouldn't it?

I like to think that the interviewer was playing a role rather than her being that sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

First we had

Then we had
    No putting words in my mouth.
    Didn't watch the video the have seen enough of him to know he's a charlatan cashing in. Don't care who "won" or lost the "debate" it's not a sport with sides.

Classic. The hurt is strong in this one.

markodaly wrote: »
    First we had

Then we had

Classic. The hurt is strong in this one.

What's your point?

This is like what Peterson does.lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭Underground

I'm not defending Newman here, I don't think she came out of this looking good at all. However I think it's quite possible she was simply told to play devil's advocate on this one. C4 are quite left leaning anyway so I would imagine Newman is too, but I would be prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she is smart enough to not actually believe at least half of the arguments she put forward in that debate.

I'm not defending Newman here, I don't think she came out of this looking good at all. However I think it's quite possible she was simply told to play devil's advocate on this one. C4 are quite left leaning anyway so I would imagine Newman is too, but I would be prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she is smart enough to not actually believe at least half of the arguments she put forward in that debate.

If she was she did a piss poor job of it.

She just wasn't listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

family photo, I think I know who wears the pants in that family, the comment about women wanting men they can dominate takes on a new meaning now :pac:

methode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F35e1e282-cbf3-11e5-9cf4-efd3fdfa0b49.jpg?crop=1485%2C835%2C11%2C139&resize=685

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What's your point?

This is like what Peterson does.lol

My point?

You are well able to play 'The Game' when it suits, yet when your ideology gets a god awful hammering, you run off the pitch and declare 'Well I wasn't really playing anyway'.

We are all adults here, not 5 year old.

Advertisement