Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The whopper GEM loan.

Options
  • 14-01-2018 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

For those of us unable to fund the tuition fees ourselves, how is everyone finding the prospect of this 60k GEM loan? Do many people actually go this route? Seeing that UL have seemingly tightened its criteria for their scholarship this year, I have to admit that the reality of such a huge financial commitment is making me brick it.

On top of that, I don't have enough saved for living expenses for 4 years - if anyone who has managed this has any insight I would love to hear it! Are there maintenance loans available too?

I'm frustrated that the only thing putting me off becoming a doctor is money - any advice or info would be greatly appreciated... how do you all feel about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dublingradmed

I was under the impression that majority of GEMs get the loan but maybe not? I would also love to hear how people manage it.

At the RCSI open night for mature students they mentioned how applicants had to have the money in the bank or they wouldn't get in - I know the mature student program has an extra year but it seemed like they meant the whole tuition money. It made me wonder do some people get approved for the loan in year 1 or more but another year get declined? And that's why they want you to have a huge amount of money in the bank?
    Terrifying thought as I would have to drop out if I was declined the loan at any year...

Personally I will be relying completely on the loan. I've put off starting for 2 years to save up and I'll still be struggling, especially with the larger RCSI fees that the loan won't cover eating into my savings.

It's a lot to take on and I know financial stress is far from ideal when undertaking this course. It's what's holding me back from fully committing at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

I haven't even considered RCSI because they charge 2,000 extra per year. I have UCD down as my first choice, I hope I can get accommodation in Dublin!

I don't think I'll be getting the loan for the first two years anyway, not sure what I'll do after that.

Advertisement