Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

thomasj wrote: »
    So with the promise that the service was to get better it's actually getting worse?

Changes this time round are associated with 10 minute DARTs. Improved services such as the Maynooths are not too far behind it if all goes according to plan. I suspect weekends to/from Connolly will not last post the December change.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

Rosslare train service have added nearly 10 min from greystones to Connolly from september and first 2 will also call at grand canal dock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I honestly don't know if the NTA really understands the issues regarding the infrastructure being constricted the way it is around connolly. Realistically we need serious upgrades to the entire system like DU, triple/quad tracking the north side and removal of the southside level crossings to have any hope of a realistic 10m or better DART service. They're probably only starting to see how constrained the current system is now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Infini wrote: »
    I honestly don't know if the NTA really understands the issues regarding the infrastructure being constricted the way it is around connolly. Realistically we need serious upgrades to the entire system like DU, triple/quad tracking the north side and removal of the southside level crossings to have any hope of a realistic 10m or better DART service. They're probably only starting to see how constrained the current system is now.

They do, but as with anything in Ireland, they face a number of obstacles, the biggest of which are political, economical, and legal.

They've tried to bring in the Dart Underground, but economics and a lack of political backing put an end to that.

They've tried to sort the south side crossings, but planning and legal issues put an end to that.

The four tracking is something that needs to happen, and I've no doubt that they know about it, but other issues are higher priority for now. Bringing in a ten minute Dart is realistic, but will cause problems else where. Highlighting those problems will also be easier after the fact, including four tracking and the crossings.

GM228 wrote: »
    Further to this and assuming the timetable change goes ahead (make or break talks ongoing):-
    • ALL Maynooth and Drogheda/Dundalk services will operate to/from Connolly at weekends.
    • Moderate Sunday Rosslare timetable change.
    • Only minor timing changes to other services (there will be one less Commuter train through to Bray in the mornings).

Major timetable change expected in December (extra service each way to/from Sligo, all day GCD service, off peak Maynooth services to/from GCD, half hourly weekend Maynooth services and Heston side timing improvements).

Out of interest but why they moving the commuters to Connolly on the weekends when the earlier proposal for 10m was for during the week? Doesn't make a lot of sense there or are they looking at 10m on the weekends now too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Rosslare train service have added nearly 10 min from greystones to Connolly from september and first 2 will also call at grand canal dock

This '10 minute DART' is going to have a negative effect on my work/life balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Sure they might as well call at every stop if it’s going to take that long.

This 10 minute Dart lark will be like squeezing a six inch sh1te down a four inch pipe.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

CatInABox wrote: »
    They do, but as with anything in Ireland, they face a number of obstacles, the biggest of which are political, economical, and legal.

They've tried to bring in the Dart Underground, but economics and a lack of political backing put an end to that.

They've tried to sort the south side crossings, but planning and legal issues put an end to that.

The four tracking is something that needs to happen, and I've no doubt that they know about it, but other issues are higher priority for now. Bringing in a ten minute Dart is realistic, but will cause problems else where. Highlighting those problems will also be easier after the fact, including four tracking and the crossings.

Seeing as they've been told to make do with the existing infrastructure, these expansions will clearly demonstrate how the current infrastructure is not fit for purpose.

An answer to chaos is usually the reason stuff gets built in Ireland

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And yet when it was pointed out that the 10 minute frequency would remove most of the speed advantage the Rosslare trains had from Bray it was shouted down...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Infini wrote: »
    Out of interest but why they moving the commuters to Connolly on the weekends when the earlier proposal for 10m was for during the week? Doesn't make a lot of sense there or are they looking at 10m on the weekends now too?

I'm not sure, but all I know is it is related to "DART improvements", there will apparently be enhanced weekend DART timetables, but not to the tune of every 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I'm not sure, but all I know is it is related to "DART improvements", there will apparently be enhanced weekend DART timetables, but not to the tune of every 10 minutes.

Greystones could do with extra DARTs on the weekend.
    The station is usually very busy with the current timetable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

marno21 wrote: »
    Seeing as they've been told to make do with the existing infrastructure, these expansions will clearly demonstrate how the current infrastructure is not fit for purpose.

An answer to chaos is usually the reason stuff gets built in Ireland

Yes, I see that pretty clearly with them delaying the Merrion Gates project. Once the locals start complaining about the fact that the gates are shut the majority of the time, and that traffic is a disaster at almost all hours, then they'll bring it back up and say "Here you go guys, here's how we'll sort this out. It's the same as last time, but with just a little bit changed so that we can say we took on board your objections."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

LEIN wrote: »
    Greystones could do with extra DARTs on the weekend.
    The station is usually very busy with the current timetable.

the previous proposed 10-minute timetable had a a 20 minute schedule on the weekends I think but no improvements for Greystones (still only one an hour).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yes, I see that pretty clearly with them delaying the Merrion Gates project. Once the locals start complaining about the fact that the gates are shut the majority of the time, and that traffic is a disaster at almost all hours, then they'll bring it back up and say "Here you go guys, here's how we'll sort this out. It's the same as last time, but with just a little bit changed so that we can say we took on board your objections."
    Exactly this. Similar story on the Maynooth line, when people who object to LC closures are spending half their lives waiting at gates they won't be long changing their tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Related to Dublin first mentality, if it works on weekdays then there is no excuse for weekend changes. I can see a situation eventually where most N Commuter/Maynooth will almost all terminate at Connolly. Once they realise the mess that will be created they will be under pressure to act and these will draw short straw. They would not for example reduce DART from 6 to 5 ph to ease the problems.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Related to Dublin first mentality, if it works on weekdays then there is no excuse for weekend changes. I can see a situation eventually where most N Commuter/Maynooth will almost all terminate at Connolly. Once they realise the mess that will be created they will be under pressure to act and these will draw short straw. They would not for example reduce DART from 6 to 5 ph to ease the problems.

Running a train every 12m is probably the most realistic scenario I can see working. The connolly area is just too bottlenecked and theres no hope of any of this working long term so long as darts share the route with diesil trains and LCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Timetable is up now for post 9th September.

What a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Bray to Tara Street is now 43 minutes. Up from 35 minutes when the DART started in the mid-1980s!

It's time to get real about sorting out the level crossings between Booterstown and GCD. A bridge at Merrion Gates and a tunnel at Serpentine Avenue are needed. The other three level crossings should be permanently closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

For Greystones commuters, not as bad as the previous proposed 10-minute timetable. The 0800 Dart moves back to 0754 but at least gets you into town for 9. No improvement in the weekend timetable which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Bray Head wrote: »
    Bray to Tara Street is now 43 minutes. Up from 35 minutes when the DART started in the mid-1980s!

It's time to get real about sorting out the level crossings between Booterstown and GCD. A bridge at Merrion Gates and a tunnel at Serpentine Avenue are needed. The other three level crossings should be permanently closed.

If you look at the Irish rail website and search for a train going to Bray from town, select "show details" and then "show stops". You will see "WBROK" between Shankill and Bray. Must be woodbrook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

16.28 and 16.41 via PPT (16.20/16.40), great off peak services yet over 30m betwren 17.00-18.00 when they are busy...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 0755 Maynooth Bray is now the 0802, with the 0814 Intercity now the 0757 and a much longer running time - 11 minutes padding! They had adjusted the time last year to reduce how long it usually sat in Drumcondra waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Bray Head wrote: »

I think that's going to happen in effect anyway. Looking at the Sydney Parade timetable, there'll be a train passing through every five minutes meaning gates are going to be up only one or two minutes out of every 10.

Once the new timetable is announced, it would be no harm to put signage up at the crossings to warn about the expected longer delays. It'll give drivers an opportunity to plan alternative routes, or maybe even alternative modes if they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

6.22 Sallins to GDC is going to depart 2 minutes earlier and arrive 2 minutes later.

It crawls along as is without going slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

drake70 wrote: »
    If you look at the Irish rail website and search for a train going to Bray from town, select "show details" and then "show stops". You will see "WBROK" between Shankill and Bray. Must be woodbrook.

correct it's woodbrook. they are proposing a new station for there.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Ah, feck.

I used to get off the 2319 at Connolly and get the last bus. I won't make the one that gets in at 2310 now and I'll miss the bus with the 2330.

Ah, well. Need to make other arrangements now.

Morning service is much better for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

It’s as if they looked at morning rush hour on the Northside and thought, ‘How can we make it even more uncomfortable for our passengers?’
    One less Dart from Howth in the hour between 8 am and 9 am so the Howth line will be busier.
    Diesels not stopping at Portmarnock or Howth Junction so the Malahide Dart line will be busier. (And that will be quite an achievement - to make Darts from Malahide in the morning even more packed!)

And all this so there can be a 10 minute service during the day when there’s really no need for it?

Same number of Darts in a rush hour as during a quiet afternoon hour. To me that means not enough Darts in rush hour or else too many during the afternoon/evening!
    Quite bizarre really.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    And all this so there can be a 10 minute service during the day when there’s really no need for it?

The 10 minute Dart schedule is a vital part of the BusConnects plan. Plenty of bus services are being rerouted to Dart stations, and interchanging with won't work if the wait time is larger than ten minutes.

The 10 minute Dart schedule is a vital part of the BusConnects plan. Plenty of bus services are being rerouted to Dart stations, and interchanging with won't work if the wait time is larger than ten minutes.

It may not work anyway since the trains and hardware have issues at such a rate that a small delay by one will affect more trains the longer it goes on. The current system is extremely vunerable to domino effects because of the lack of foresight by the politicians and quangos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

From my first reading of the journey planners, At the moment, Howth Junction has 24 trains towards Connolly between 6 and 10am. From the 9th of September this becomes 22. Portmarnock goes from 13 to 10. Honestly cannot see this being a good thing. Whatever way this is sold, it’s certainly not a peak time capacity increase.

The morning commuters take a good chunk of people at Portmarnock and HJ, they are not even 80% full by then. Really don’t see the logic in robbing so much from other services to provide 10 min darts.

Advertisement