Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taking photos of document on Microfilm Readers NLI

• 23-11-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Just wondering whether people have used their mobile/cameras to take photos of documents on the microfilm readers as opposed to printing them out from the printers there ??

Am thinking it might save more time but more importantly might get better
    editing options when at home at the computer.

I'll be looking at parish registers which I've found difficult to get a good print
    out from ..I've only used the readers once before mind you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

I've taken pictures of newspapers readers off the reading room once or twice- just because I was in a hurry, I generally take notes in the library & type them out at home at the end of the day. I couldn't seem to print exactly what I was looking for when I tried a couple of times, so I don't bother now. I've taken a couple on the parish records readers too, more to get a second opinion from some one else; again I take notes usually.
    The pictures aren't great quality, I just use my phone. I'm not sure what the NLI policy is on people taking pictures, I haven't seen anyone else do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Sorry forgot to mention.. one of the main reasons I want the best possible images whether printed and then scanned or using my phone is that i'm in the middle of creating a family history book for my mother (secretly :)

I will also be taking notes but a good image is also important ..
    That's a good point rhapsody regarding the NLI & taking photos.

It's a pity it isn't possible to make a digital scan of the image ..

Just had a quiclk check on NLI website regarding taking photos.
    If I use my own digital camera, do I need permission to use the photograph in a publication?
    Yes, you will need to contact the NLI for permission. When you obtained your reader’s ticket you agreed that any copies of Library material made by or supplied to you, would be for the purpose of research and private study only. In the case of manuscripts, you will need to sign an additional form each time you use the self-service copying facilities.

I'll give it a bash tomorrow and see how i get on ,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 magzer

The NLI don't seem to mind you taking photos from the microfilm. Just mention it to Christina or Fran before you take it.

Was in bright & early this morning as had the day off,
    When I asked about printing he also said i could take photos with my photos so
    he beat me to it.

Found using the pc with imaging software easier to take a photo of then the standard scanners as on hte standard you have to watch out for getting in the way
    of the light/bulb and causing shadows on screen.

Will be using phone from now on me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

The Kurgan wrote: »
    Just had a quiclk check on NLI website regarding taking photos.

I'll give it a bash tomorrow and see how i get on ,
    It seems to me that the NLI only seeks permission in circumstances where an image is to be published.

Although the NLI has some liberty of discretion with regard to photographing its material, in my view there is no obvious restriction on photographing parish registers for personal use.

Of course, you should seek the guidance of the NLI on that. But let us know if you can. It's an interesting question.

Advertisement