Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD or RCSI?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

iscr wrote: »
    A major part of the RCSI problem, besides the bullying the student reps mention in point 8, is the way the college is structured in the SARA configuration this year. The prof (who I think posts as "Biologic" here) protects the GEPs from exposure to these administrators in year I +II. They have no respect for any students- you can see how they treated our class reps with contempt and added on the extra 90 minutes without even warning the reps......see where she states the first time she knew about the change was the night before "on facebook". Why no one speaks out is because your career would be finished. What SARA does nobody knows but I think it is the tail that wags the dog. You send them an email and it never gets answered.There are no medical professionals in SARA so their approach to medical teaching is very blunt, as if they were running a "Dunnes Stores" branch and becoming a doctor was some aspect of merchandising. But they are not people to cross in your career and I wonder do the "surgeons" really run the college anymore????????????
    Other colleges have problems? I have heard a rumour the GEPs in Limerick are made thumb print themselves into lectures??? Another mickey mouse medical school to avoid if that is true.

2 things: biologic is not a professor, he's a student.

What is SARA?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

It's on the RCSI website:
    Student Academic & Regulatory Affairs (SARA)
    The SARA Office is responsible for all academic student & regulatory affairs, including timetables, examinations, class lists & records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 iscr

Ah your right. Biologic is a student. I think the Prof might be RCSI GEP then ? I always got the impression someone here was the Prof because the opinions were very neutral but helpful
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62986737
    Just so many posts here over the years I lost track of who is who in the class and faculty

diverboy83 wrote: »
    This is what it is coming down to for me (obviously this is all heavily influenced by my own preferences and circumstances) - UCD over RCSI for the following reasons (in no particular order; I also want to point out that I would be delighted to go to either and believe that the quality of the education would be exceptional in both. However, there has to be a first preference and thus every aspect of the Colleges/courses was taken into consideration. I'm posting this in case there are points some people haven't considered or points which folk think ought to be factored in):

1. It's significantly cheaper per year.
    2. More affordable on-campus accommodation.
    3. Size and quality of facilities incl. the sports centre.
    4. On campus for the first two years.
    5. 'Molecules in Science' module.
    6. First two years do not count towards GPA.
    7. RCSI is 30 EU, 30 non EU. This means that half of the class will emigrate on graduation.
    8. Affiliated with Vincent's, the Mater and Midlands Regional.
    9. The bigger class size (77) means that there is likely to be a greater spread of backgrounds and age range.
    10. More of a chance to mix with non medicine students from clubs and societies.
    11. Ranks above RCSI on the international university ranking scale.
    12. Seems more organised.
    13. Also covers accommodation for peripheral clinical placements.
    14. Longer summer break.

As this is such a huge question for some of us, I thought I would chime in on some of these and keep the discussion going.

1. True. Though when you factor in catering facilities and laptop at RCSI the gap is less than it appears perhaps.
    3. You mean facilities other than for classes? Absolutely, the pool/gym is a big draw for me. Not sure about academic facilties though.
    4. Yes, being mostly in one place is a plus.
    6. What is the situation with RCSI? I think they told me something like 5-10% comes from 2nd year.
    7, 9, 10. Doesn't hugely bother me.
    8. UCD's Dublin hospitals are slightly better located alright.
    12. I'd love to know how true this is. Some of RCSI's organisation sounds poor from what is posted here. Conversely, visiting RCSI was impressive to me.
    13. RCSI covers that too.
    14. This is a biggie alright. It also means much better opportunity to work.

Some of my own criteria are:
    cost
    pool
    organisation in 3/4 year
    quieter study environment
    catering facilities in RCSI - don't underestimate how much free tea/coffee adds up every year!!

I personally liked Sandyford with its small, self-contained feel. The UCD med building felt like mayhem to me even though I'm a UCD grad.

Dammit, this is hard. I had been leaning towards RCSI but some posts here lately about RCSI year 3/4 are troubling.

Can more people in UCD/RCSI chime in on how they found everything (particularly years 3 and 4 maybe)? Lots of detail would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 iscr

Just a few points- the RCSI laptop issue. You pay 800 euro for a laptop you don't want or have a choice in choosing. In fact, a lot of people in SC1/GEP-3 sold their laptops online as they already had some alternative. IT support is very poor and internet connection is very poor in the areas GEPs are (Sandyford/Blanchardstown).

"Molecules in medicine"- in fairness RCSI does a "Molecular Medicine module" . The lecturers are not the best and I for one will never figure out how fragile X is tested for as the lecturer hadn't a clue. But in terms of RCSI ethos this type of science is not important anyhow. What they are interested in, and what they pride themselves in, is anatomy.Everything rides on anatomy in medicine and you can't escape it. It's not a science so science people have no advantage. Often the structures are named for bizarre "art" objects like e.g. an ampula (if you saw a roman ampulla in a museum you'd finally get the connection). They are good at teaching this as they have a retired surgeon, Mr Browne, who cuts a lot of the crapier parts out and teaches what you need to know. One thing I'd say to you- if you already want to be a surgeon and only a surgeon RCSI is the place to go. If you wanted to be a haematologist or whatever then UCD/ TCD is the place to go.

I think in the end of the day all this debate is pointless because in reality snob value and points will come into play.Most people will want RCSI 'cos its the highest points. That's how I chose it and I'm sorry I did now as I find the learning atmosphere at times very bullying.RCSI is better suited to undergraduate level teaching. If you have run your own business it's very hard to knuckle down under and accept that being bullied in RCSI is something you have to put up with. I got in the ~100 per centile in gamsat on my first attempt too with only 2 days of study beforehand. I think UCD is the best choice personally and I deeply regret wasting money on the spoof of an RCSI degree. The best advice, no matter where you go, is to study for the USMLE and head to the states . Ireland isn't the place to train in anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

iscr wrote: »
    Just a few points- the RCSI laptop issue. You pay 800 euro for a laptop you don't want or have a choice in choosing. In fact, a lot of people in SC1/GEP-3 sold their laptops online as they already had some alternative. IT support is very poor and internet connection is very poor in the areas GEPs are (Sandyford/Blanchardstown).

"Molecules in medicine"- in fairness RCSI does a "Molecular Medicine module" . The lecturers are not the best and I for one will never figure out how fragile X is tested for as the lecturer hadn't a clue. But in terms of RCSI ethos this type of science is not important anyhow. What they are interested in, and what they pride themselves in, is anatomy.Everything rides on anatomy in medicine and you can't escape it. It's not a science so science people have no advantage. Often the structures are named for bizarre "art" objects like e.g. an ampula (if you saw a roman ampulla in a museum you'd finally get the connection). They are good at teaching this as they have a retired surgeon, Mr Browne, who cuts a lot of the crapier parts out and teaches what you need to know. One thing I'd say to you- if you already want to be a surgeon and only a surgeon RCSI is the place to go. If you wanted to be a haematologist or whatever then UCD/ TCD is the place to go.

I think in the end of the day all this debate is pointless because in reality snob value and points will come into play.Most people will want RCSI 'cos its the highest points. That's how I chose it and I'm sorry I did now as I find the learning atmosphere at times very bullying.RCSI is better suited to undergraduate level teaching. If you have run your own business it's very hard to knuckle down under and accept that being bullied in RCSI is something you have to put up with. I got in the ~100 per centile in gamsat on my first attempt too with only 2 days of study beforehand. I think UCD is the best choice personally and I deeply regret wasting money on the spoof of an RCSI degree. The best advice, no matter where you go, is to study for the USMLE and head to the states . Ireland isn't the place to train in anyhow.

"You are my sunshine my only sunshine"

Wow, thats not a great report on rcsi!! Interesting though, can you tell us a bit about the bullying? Its not the first time ive seen it mentioned.

I too am a business owner, its how im going to pay for the degree so im wary about paying for an education that doesnt do what it claims to do.

The laptop is fine by me as I dont have one and im not a mac head or what ever so the brand is irrelevant to me. Do you not find the uploaded notes handy?

The general concensus seems to be that the standard of gem teaching in ireland is good in all four schools and that you will be very well looked after in rcsi specifically as it is a small school.

What makes rcsi so good for surgeons? obvious question but please expand and finally, what makes you so certain that ucd/tcd is a better school?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

ISCR I'm biting my tongue here because I know you, but I agree with almost nothing you've said. And I absolutely don't agree with the method you've used to make your point (posting private emails out of context from our reps?!). Give it a rest. You've vastly exaggerated small issues (or issues specific to you) to the point where this seems like an RCSI vendetta rather than an objective review. It's unfair on people considering their GEM options.
    Cheers for the promotion to prof though.

Biologic wrote: »
    ISCR I'm biting my tongue here because I know you, but I agree with almost nothing you've said. And I absolutely don't agree with the method you've used to make your point (posting private emails out of context from our reps?!). Give it a rest. You've vastly exaggerated small issues (or issues specific to you) to the point where this seems like an RCSI vendetta rather than an objective review. It's unfair on people considering their GEM options.
    Cheers for the promotion to prof though.

Biologic, can you expand on how you have found the various years in RCSI? I know you have posted a lot here already, but it would be useful in this context to hear more. I don't mean to necessarily debate what iscr is saying, just to hear your take.

At the moment UCD is my number 1 choice because:

A) I don't fancy trying to come up with the extra fees every year for RCSI on top of the increase in fees that may (/will definitely) occur.

B) I went to a small college the first time around so I like the idea of being part of a larger college (only a small consideration)

C) The sports facilities are a factor (although it sounds like I'll be so busy with college, study and my part time job that I may not have time for availing of them :( )

D) I like the idea of the larger class, more people to get to know and mingle with.

E)I like staying in one campus and not having to move to a different campus to do different classes. It's fine when the weather is like today but the thought of standing outside waiting on the luas in the rain, snow, wind and all the other delightful weather this island usually sees doesn't appeal to me.

F) Longer summer holidays to work (this is a major issue for me) as it is I will be under pressure to fit in work and study so to have extra time in summer for breathing space.

G) I loved the facilities that the new UCD building offers

H) I vaguely remember coming across a post that the exams are before Christmas in UCD and after in RCSI. Not a huge consideration obviously, but having done exams both before and after in other courses I definitely prefer to have them out of the way and be able to relax for the holidays instead of being guilt ridden every time I deviate from study to go get a handful of roses and watch National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

I am slightly worried from looking through graduation photos of ucd's class that everyone seems quite young. I'll be 27 starting the course, not old per se, but I don't want to be the auld one in the class because everyone around me is 21.

I attended the RCSI graduation last week and it was great. There was no distinction between the GEM's and the undergrads. Still not sure if this is the case in UCD, found some class photos of UCD but undergrads and GEM's were in separate photos. I don't like the idea of been separated or viewed as being a different class. So I'm hoping someone can confirm or deny this.

My reasons are pretty much the same as other peoples, I think a certain amount of it comes down to gut feeling. Clearly all the colleges offer an excellent standard, bar the few faults people have mentioned. In saying all that, I change my mind on a daily basis!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nsa75

I too will take a similar approach to Biologic and avoid taking the bait.......it is quite obvious that there is significant personal undertone to most (if not all) of the posts by iscr above. Some are just compete nonsense, while many make little or no sense at all. I would like to say, however, that posting a private class email on a public forum is far from appropriate - even worse that you placed incorrect context on many of its contents as well as grossly inflated very minor issues contained. Your accusations of ''bullying'' should be channelled through the appropriate college avenues as opposed to posting them (in a confusing and as yet unjustified manner) on a public forum.

That throw-away comment on UL in a previous post should speak volumes in itself to the readers on here.

Having recently completed their GEP programme I can say that I haven't once come across any individual with such deep dissatisfaction for RCSI as an institution or indeed a course. The course is by no means perfect, nor is the admin, but I found it overall to be well structured and balanced over the course of the 4 years. The first two years are probably so well run and looked after that it should be obvious to students that this standard couldn't possibly be maintained when the class size quadruples in 3rd year.

I can only reference other GEP programmes through family/friends but all appear to have their own gripes about the day to day runnings of the course.......this is normal, no?!

It is difficult to post open-endedly on the course as that would take hours really.....happy to field any specific questions or take PM's too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭diverboy83

At the moment UCD is my number 1 choice because:

I am slightly worried from looking through graduation photos of ucd's class that everyone seems quite young. I'll be 27 starting the course, not old per se, but I don't want to be the auld one in the class because everyone around me is 21

I'll be 31 starting my course! Would have given anything to have been in Ireland when I was 27 and to have started it back then! I'd be qualified now!

nsa75 wrote: »
    I too will take a similar approach to Biologic and avoid taking the bait.......it is quite obvious that there is significant personal undertone to most (if not all) of the posts by iscr above. Some are just compete nonsense, while many make little or no sense at all. I would like to say, however, that posting a private class email on a public forum is far from appropriate - even worse that you placed incorrect context on many of its contents as well as grossly inflated very minor issues contained. Your accusations of ''bullying'' should be channelled through the appropriate college avenues as opposed to posting them (in a confusing and as yet unjustified manner) on a public forum.

That throw-away comment on UL in a previous post should speak volumes in itself to the readers on here.

Having recently completed their GEP programme I can say that I haven't once come across any individual with such deep dissatisfaction for RCSI as an institution or indeed a course. The course is by no means perfect, nor is the admin, but I found it overall to be well structured and balanced over the course of the 4 years. The first two years are probably so well run and looked after that it should be obvious to students that this standard couldn't possibly be maintained when the class size quadruples in 3rd year.

I can only reference other GEP programmes through family/friends but all appear to have their own gripes about the day to day runnings of the course.......this is normal, no?!

It is difficult to post open-endedly on the course as that would take hours really.....happy to field any specific questions or take PM's too.

Did you know of anyone being bullied as ISCR talked about above? I don't mean people having a problem with being at the bottom of the pile again, but actual unjustified bullying. I don't care about being given out to and can take a certain amount of humiliation, no matter what, when you start off at something and you're at the bottom of the pile that's to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nsa75

I haven't come across the type of ''bullying'' referred to so many times in above posts......none of which have been fleshed out and justified as of yet. Getting some flack/heat from consultants or tutors for poor attendance/grossly inadequate knowledge/poor professionalism/poor attitudes does of course happen and rightly so imo.

If you spend that much time dwelling on how you're being treated as a medical student then it's not only the clinical years you'll struggle with......but perhaps the career itself.

nsa75 wrote: »
    I haven't come across the type of ''bullying'' referred to so many many in above posts......no of which have been fleshed out and justified as of yet. Getting some flack/heat from consultants or tutors for poor attendance/grossly inadequate knowledge/poor professionalism/poor attitudes does of course happen and rightly so imo.

If you spend as much time dwelling on how you're being treated as a medical student then it's not only the clinical years you'll struggle with......but perhaps the career itself.

I can't say that would bother me. I wouldn't like to think that I'd be dealing with full blown harassment & bullying but what you're describing sounds reasonable/normal in any course!

Thanks for clearing that up :)

I'll be 31 starting my course! Would have given anything to have been in Ireland when I was 27 and to have started it back then! I'd be qualified now!

That's what I keep thinking about, if I were 23 when I'd started, I'd be qualified by now. Sounds like the 4 years will fly by though!

I'm not really worried about the age thing tbh. I'd rather take the five years now to get qualified and then spend then next 30 years doing something I feel passionately about.

Agreed! Are you definitely set on UCD now? I'm 60:40 in favour of ucd at the moment. I think that because I went to the UCD open day and not RCSI is swaying me a bit too.

Yes, definitely set on UCD now; just works better for me on almost every front and I think I'll be happier there. You should go out to RCSI in Sandyford/Blanch, if you haven't done so already. The admin ladies out there are lovely. It's a real shame they only have one open day a year.

I went out to sandyford and the security guard showed me around :) really need to see the building in town though. I might give them a ring tomorrow!

Do. Though getting the admin people in Stephen's Green is a bit of a dose...

• Advertisement

31 is not old, there will be older than that, including me.

I reckon from open days, online and all the rest that no more than 50% will be new grads, the rest will be 24-40 or even older. The biggest group will be around 27-28.

I went out to sandyford and the security guard showed me around :) really need to see the building in town though. I might give them a ring tomorrow!

I did the same, he was great. Later I did an official visit and sat in on a 2 hour clinical skills class which was great. All the staff I met in Sandyford were really sound and relaxed. As I've posted here, I was impressed with the visit and I liked the idea of being in a small dedicated facility which you have to yourselves.

I didn't think of visiting Stephen's Green, maybe I should do that too.

I've had mixed dealings with RCSI staff in general, many have been very nice and helpful, others not so much. I rang to ask about fees a few weeks ago and the fees office person was clearly trying to get rid of me, waffled, and passed me on to admissions.

I've had the same experience with the staff: any time I've rang to ask a question, I've always been left a little unsatisfied and end up using boards to find the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

The staff are all in Stephen's Green, somewhere GEPs don't see too much of, so it's not surprising they know little about the course. As for fees, sadly it's the banks you need to chat to to get the funding. I wrote the doc2be blog and didn't keep on in 2nd year because I just felt Ireland is too small for writing about potentially identifiable situations, ethically speaking. However if anyone ever wants to PM me about the RCSI course, I am currently between 3rd year and final year and am always happy to answer, or else here on the thread.
    From my point of view with bullying etc, it's well known that a few people have had run-ins with consultants or tutors but personally my approach is to suck it up. I've definitely come in contact with doctors who do NOT want to teach or who have 'difficult' approaches to dealing with other members of the public in general (!) but I guess I have never let it get to me. I'm just one in thousands of pesky students they've encountered and if they don't want to teach or if we don't get on, AVOID and find a doctor who is interested in you is the best option.

etymon wrote: »
    The staff are all in Stephen's Green, somewhere GEPs don't see too much of, so it's not surprising they know little about the course. As for fees, sadly it's the banks you need to chat to to get the funding. I wrote the doc2be blog and didn't keep on in 2nd year because I just felt Ireland is too small for writing about potentially identifiable situations, ethically speaking. However if anyone ever wants to PM me about the RCSI course, I am currently between 3rd year and final year and am always happy to answer, or else here on the thread.
    From my point of view with bullying etc, it's well known that a few people have had run-ins with consultants or tutors but personally my approach is to suck it up. I've definitely come in contact with doctors who do NOT want to teach or who have 'difficult' approaches to dealing with other members of the public in general (!) but I guess I have never let it get to me. I'm just one in thousands of pesky students they've encountered and if they don't want to teach or if we don't get on, AVOID and find a doctor who is interested in you is the best option.

Pity you stopped the blog, its really well written, entertaining and informative.

Is there anything to the point that in third year things start to get a bit ropey compared to the first two years in rcsi? Are you happy with the rcsi hospitals?

It sounds as though you have to be very proactive when finding the right tutor. Is this not a pain in the arse?

Given the option again would you still have picked rcsi? Do you agree that if you're interested in surgury then go for rsci but if you're interested in any other speciality go to ucd?

Any feedback would be great, we need more info from 3rd/4th years

I've had the same experience with the staff: any time I've rang to ask a question, I've always been left a little unsatisfied and end up using boards to find the answer.

I had the following conversation with an RCSI staff member who shall remain nameless:

I mentioned the uncertainty about getting bank loans, and how UB/UL loans were pretty easy to get but BOI loans for UCD/RCSI were less certain, and how that meant I was uncertain which collge to apply for.

She said 'surely you don't intend to choose a college based on money?!'

I was taken aback. Of course getting the money is a fundamental criteria. The best college in the world is no good if I can't pay the fees. I felt like she didn't understand where we were coming from at all.

I just said "ideally I'd like to decide not based on money but that may not always be possible." I was left feeling as if I was silly and inadequate that I didn't have unlimited funds. But, feck 'em, I won't let that put me off deciding on RCSI.

As I say, all the Sandyford staff were great.

I got a similar reaction. Of course money plays a massive part in the decision! At the moment it's my biggest concern. I'm terrified of being rejected for a loan after putting in the effort for the gamsat. I'd love a justifiable reason for the extra cost of RCSI though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

WoolahUrma wrote: »
    Pity you stopped the blog, its really well written, entertaining and informative.

Is there anything to the point that in third year things start to get a bit ropey compared to the first two years in rcsi? Are you happy with the rcsi hospitals?

It sounds as though you have to be very proactive when finding the right tutor. Is this not a pain in the arse?

Given the option again would you still have picked rcsi? Do you agree that if you're interested in surgury then go for rsci but if you're interested in any other speciality go to ucd?

Any feedback would be great, we need more info from 3rd/4th years

Hey, I would love to be talented enough to answer everything in turn but I have no idea what cybercode I need to do that!

Re: ropiness - no, 3rd year is a breeze compared to the first two years. The poor little undergrads who've been going to Dicey's and eating gelato in Stephen's Green for three years have no idea what's hit them but we found it great in terms of workload. Certain rotations - GP, Med/Surg are extremely light on work and if you get them around Christmas (mine were sandwiched around it) you have a nice extended winter break. The hospitals are great - you aren't in Beaumont in third GEP/fourth med so it's mainly peripheral (Kilkenny, Drogheda etc.) where you are given a lot of leeway in terms of how much you want to get involved but there is great teaching to be had if you do get stuck in. I was happy with all my hospitals for sure, but next year is mainly Beaumont so check back with me then (I have a feeling already I won't be applying for intern year there, if only because of the hideous decor).

Yeah you need to be proactive seeking out teaching sometimes, you can usually spot the best doctor on a team to harass, there's nearly always a kindly reg who likes to talk to students and if you put yourself out there you can learn stuff. Sometimes you can't pick your tutor, e.g. in Psych and Paeds you get given them but I found my Psych tutor fantastic, she really loved teaching, and wasn't mad about my Paeds ones so went off to clinics in Crumlin myself and asked consultants could I sit in. The ones who like students say 'sure!' and it's a pleasure to go. The ones who hate students grunt and disappear so that's that problem solved.

I would definitely have picked RCSI again but that's just me.

Some of you are asking about money's worth; well it's like today when I dropped a bomb in New Look on the oul' credit card, I'm 100k in debt, 105k ain't gonna matter, if you're looking at a 20k difference maybe then factor that in.

Dunno anything about surgery as I have successfully avoided it since Day 1 apart from an ill-advised circumcision performed under duress which I hope I never have to repeat (and I suspect the foreskins of Ireland agree); I reckon each hospital has its surgical bigwigs and you can schmooze any of them you like. I think if you had an idea you might like neurosurgery, pick RCSI for Beaumont; if cardiothoracic, pick UCD for Mater etc. but who the hell goes into college knowing they want to do something that specialized?!

In short - I would urge anyone who has the funds and the GAMSAT score to pick RCSI for sure. I am sure, however, that if you pick UCD you'd be very happy with your choice.

etymon wrote: »
    Hey, I would love to be talented enough to answer everything in turn but I have no idea what cybercode I need to do that!

Re: ropiness - no, 3rd year is a breeze compared to the first two years. The poor little undergrads who've been going to Dicey's and eating gelato in Stephen's Green for three years have no idea what's hit them but we found it great in terms of workload. Certain rotations - GP, Med/Surg are extremely light on work and if you get them around Christmas (mine were sandwiched around it) you have a nice extended winter break. The hospitals are great - you aren't in Beaumont in third GEP/fourth med so it's mainly peripheral (Kilkenny, Drogheda etc.) where you are given a lot of leeway in terms of how much you want to get involved but there is great teaching to be had if you do get stuck in. I was happy with all my hospitals for sure, but next year is mainly Beaumont so check back with me then (I have a feeling already I won't be applying for intern year there, if only because of the hideous decor).

Yeah you need to be proactive seeking out teaching sometimes, you can usually spot the best doctor on a team to harass, there's nearly always a kindly reg who likes to talk to students and if you put yourself out there you can learn stuff. Sometimes you can't pick your tutor, e.g. in Psych and Paeds you get given them but I found my Psych tutor fantastic, she really loved teaching, and wasn't mad about my Paeds ones so went off to clinics in Crumlin myself and asked consultants could I sit in. The ones who like students say 'sure!' and it's a pleasure to go. The ones who hate students grunt and disappear so that's that problem solved.

I would definitely have picked RCSI again but that's just me.

Some of you are asking about money's worth; well it's like today when I dropped a bomb in New Look on the oul' credit card, I'm 100k in debt, 105k ain't gonna matter, if you're looking at a 20k difference maybe then factor that in.

Dunno anything about surgery as I have successfully avoided it since Day 1 apart from an ill-advised circumcision performed under duress which I hope I never have to repeat (and I suspect the foreskins of Ireland agree); I reckon each hospital has its surgical bigwigs and you can schmooze any of them you like. I think if you had an idea you might like neurosurgery, pick RCSI for Beaumont; if cardiothoracic, pick UCD for Mater etc. but who the hell goes into college knowing they want to do something that specialized?!

In short - I would urge anyone who has the funds and the GAMSAT score to pick RCSI for sure. I am sure, however, that if you pick UCD you'd be very happy with your choice.

Well there you have it, rcsi come back swinging!

There is a preference on this thread/ forum for ucd so its useful to get another perspective.

The workload in rcsi in years one and two sound like a dose but then again if it eases the pain in 3 and 4 (when you need to be doing your business) it might be worth the pain.

I underestimated the amount of proactive learning that's going to be required. I assumed that it would be like, ok, here dr. surgeon and he will show you how to do that etc.

I'm guessing that it's going to be a learn as you go situation. You get to know the system and the people in it, then you try to get what you need from it.

Can you tell me what you thought of your classmates? Also, was the travel a pain? Into stephens, back out to sandyford

What about connolly?

Thanks again for the effort

• Advertisement

Could some people from either UCD or RCSi write up a little about their 3/4th years? Even just an outline of the year, where they were, what rotations, and how it went would be great.

How did you find the different rotations? What did you like/dislike? How did you find the various hospitals? Did you feel like it was crazy and overwhelming or did you actually manage pretty well?

Anything really!

Advertisement