Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Print Auction [BPB2012]

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I have already submitted my photo for the book and auction. Can I submit all of my pics on pix.ie as up for auction - maybe change the normal heading on my pix.ie account to indicate that and contain a link to the auction page?

I know you couldn't put all the photos in the auction library but maybe you could put a "dummy" picture or "icon" with a "pick any" text with the pix.ie use name link and explaination in the description of the "photo".

Something along the lines of

http://pix.ie/asadlier invites bids for any of the pictures in their pix.ie account. Please email the picture title, url and bid to boardsbook@gmail.com

Am I trying to be to clever (never mind presumptious that anybody would want to bid) - but it might work for others!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I have already submitted my photo for the book and auction. Can I submit all of my pics on pix.ie as up for auction - maybe change the normal heading on my pix.ie account to indicate that and contain a link to the auction page?

I know you couldn't put all the photos in the auction library but maybe you could put a "dummy" picture or "icon" with a "pick any" text with the pix.ie use name link and explaination in the description of the "photo".

Something along the lines of

http://pix.ie/asadlier invites bids for any of the pictures in their pix.ie account. Please email the picture title, url and bid to boardsbook @ gmail.com

Am I trying to be to clever (never mind presumptious that anybody would want to bid) - but it might work for others!

That is very kind of you and we would certainly like to arrange that :)

I thought of something the other night, if we put the photos from the book up on Pix.ie before the launch, then the surprise of the photos in the book is ruined! So.. how should we approach this? Put images up one by one, build the excitement? With the bulk not going up until the day *after* the launch?

Cork_girl wrote: »
    That is very kind of you and we would certainly like to arrange that :)

I thought of something the other night, if we put the photos from the book up on Pix.ie before the launch, then the surprise of the photos in the book is ruined! So.. how should we approach this? Put images up one by one, build the excitement? With the bulk not going up until the day *after* the launch?

Let me know how to proceed and I'll do it.

Rather than reveal the photos included in the book on pixie before the launch, how about posting people's second choice photos - the one's that didn't quite make it. It would be a great teaser and maybe give people a chance to bid on two pics from each tog rather than one? And still keep the photos in the book a secret until launch night...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Q................what's the print size ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

A....................not really up to me, but i would suggest either a 12"long print in a 16" mount or a 15" print in a 20" mount

all sizes i am suggesting there are the long side

so a 3:2 ratio would give 12*8 in 16*12 mount and 15*10 in 20*16 mount

but like i say not really up to me:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Q................what's the print size ?
    We were thinking either A3 or A4 but no decision has been made yet. Will clarify that in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Rather than reveal the photos included in the book on pixie before the launch, how about posting people's second choice photos - the one's that didn't quite make it. It would be a great teaser and maybe give people a chance to bid on two pics from each tog rather than one? And still keep the photos in the book a secret until launch night...

What's the point in that? Why not just keep all the photos in the pixie account private until the evening of the book launch, rather than complicate the entire process. I also think the auction should be reserved for only the photos in the book, again, for the sake of simplicity and haste. Can't see how adding in additional photos from anybody does anything other massage egos, and if there is one thing this should not be about, it's massaging egos. IMO.

trooney wrote: »
    What's the point in that? Why not just keep all the photos in the pixie account private until the evening of the book launch, rather than complicate the entire process. I also think the auction should be reserved for only the photos in the book, again, for the sake of simplicity and haste. Can't see how adding in additional photos from anybody does anything other massage egos, and if there is one thing this should not be about, it's massaging egos. IMO.

Trooney, my suggestions had nothing to do with massaging egos, mine or anybody elses. It has more to do with being unsure of why anybody would be intererested in bidding for any of my photos, never mind the specific one I chose for the photobook and hedging my bets by offering people to have a choice of any image of mine that they may be foolish enough to fancy.

Obviously, such a lack of confidence in ones ability is not something you suffer from.

Adrian

Please keep this thread on topic!

It looks like in order to keep the prints in the book a surprise, we are going to launch the print auction on the night of the book launch.

:)

With regard to sizes, what do you all think? 12"long print in a 16" mount or a 15" print in a 20" mount as suggested by stcstc?

Would there be a preference to also include a smaller print?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Please keep this thread on topic!

It looks like in order to keep the prints in the book a surprise, we are going to launch the print auction on the night of the book launch. :)

Good idea.
    With regard to sizes, what do you all think? 12"long print in a 16" mount or a 15" print in a 20" mount as suggested by stcstc?

Would there be a preference to also include a smaller print?

Personally, I would think that 12" would be the minimum size I'd print and I've reached the point where I tend to not print smaller than 15x10. That said I'll go along with whatever is decided. The advantage of the sizes steve (stcstc) mentions is that the suit a cropped sensor, how would they work with a full frame sensor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

actually the sizes i suggested will be the same for almost all slrs. with a few exceptions

most slr camers be they crop sensor or full frame are still the same aspect ration. ie the same shape rectangle

one of the exceptions is micro four thirds, as its 4:3 ratio

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Just a suggestion.

Rather than have this as an auction, there are other bidding models which can bring in more revenue. I have seen these methods work in other areas.

Method 1 - Maximum Donation

I have seen this at a charity night. The bidders gift a donation for each print that they like. All donations are accepted but only the highest donation receives the print. Results are kept secret until the end. The minimum donation can be set and a caveat placed that total donations must reach the set price before it will be printed.

The advantages here are the charity gets both successful and unsuccessful bids, not just the winner and we get the money up front.

Method 2 - Tender

In this model a bid is registered, which has to be above the minimum set price. The highest bid is accepted. The difference is that the current high bid is not known. In a normal auction you bid to beat the next bid and stay within your budget. Often a bidder will win and still be well below their budget, but in a tender they will tend to place their bid at their budget level.

Another possible variation:

A straight auction, higest bidder over the minimum threshold gets the print, but with a slight twist - if unsuccessful bidders were to match the highest bid they could also get a print!

From the high standard I've seen in previous editions I'm sure that there will be some images that multiple people would be bidding on!

Just a thought ......

A straight auction, higest bidder over the minimum threshold gets the print, but with a slight twist - if unsuccessful bidders were to match the highest bid they could also get a print!

From the high standard I've seen in previous editions I'm sure that there will be some images that multiple people would be bidding on!

Just a thought ......

I like this idea a lot :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Just a thought ......

Sounds good but has a fatal flaw.The thing that drives the price up in an auction is the competition. In this model once the reserve has been met the bidders know they only have to match the top bid to also win. There is no incentive to place a higher bid.

Auction is now live! See it here: www.pix.ie/boardsbook

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I was going to call my blog post promoting the auction Suffer Little Children but think Santa Claus is coming to town fits better

Auction closes midnight tomorrow!

Guys, just a quick note in relation to the auction prints - we have collected them today and will send them out in the upcoming days. Those of you who wanted to pick their prints up from Steve and haven't done so by today, please, pm me to arrange handover.

Happy Christmas! smile.png

Just a quick update on the auction prints: all have been posted, so you should receive them next week.

Those of you who wanted to collect them, please, pm me so we can arrange the handover.

Thank you very much for your support, Guys, and Happy New Year!

• Advertisement
Advertisement