Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anyone know how to find him? un marked graves

Options
  • 26-11-2014 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Bit of background my grandmother had a baby called Martin in 1953. he was born the 5th of july but had a deformity and died the 14th of August. Granny wanted grave marked as a last wish and told us one of two graveyards he could be in. She was so distraught after having a baby with deformities (his intestines formed outside body) that she had blocked his burial and only 5 people went. There is no record on the parish graveyard in one but my dad was at his funeral (he was 5 years old) and can remember him being buried beside a wall, near a tree. Its either Bonoham in Rathcabbin or Lorrha in Tipperary. Records for Lorrha seemed to have been destroyed or have been told that by caretaker but its fast becoming a second generation dying wish to find him. Have his birth and death cert but no graveyard record and its definitely one or the other unless he was buried in Clonaulty in Birr in her and my grandads grave site.

I am lost with this and I keep hitting dead ends. Have contacted Parish Priest in Lorrha, he was fantastic but hit a dead end there in regards to a grave.

What can I do to find this baby!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What a very sad story. Have you tried the other graveyard to see if they have records? Tipperary county archive may have details as well.

Another thought: does the undertaker (company) still exist? Maybe they have records. I watched that Ardal O'Hanlon thing a couple of weeks ago and he was looking at records that went back 100 years or so for one funeral parlour.

However, if you don't get anywhere with the parishes or the funeral home, I think you may have to accept there's no way to find out. If this does happen, would it be possible to do a small plaque in each place?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Yeah we have little plaques made up!!

Would you believe it the parish priest came back to us last night with his details and that he was buried with his great grandparents in Lorrha at the front gable end of the abbey..........their grave is unmarked but should be a lot easier to find than just a little baby's grave!!

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Be sure to post back with an update

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Eve222

pinkypinky wrote: »
    What a very sad story. Have you tried the other graveyard to see if they have records? Tipperary county archive may have details as well.

Another thought: does the undertaker (company) still exist? Maybe they have records. I watched that Ardal O'Hanlon thing a couple of weeks ago and he was looking at records that went back 100 years or so for one funeral parlour.

That is a great idea Pinkypinky, a lot of people wouldn't think of funeral parlour records. I know an undertaker who took over from his father, and have records going back a long way.

Advertisement