Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Correct pronunciation of Pádraig

Options
  • 09-09-2008 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Ok this is kind of on my mind since seeing the Aoibhe thread.

I'd say 60% of the people I know pronounce Pádraig as Paw-ric. Now Im not an expert, and I'm looking for an expert opinion here :)

Is there a reason why the D magically disappears in the pronunciation.
    I know there are things in Irish like how Donncha is pronounced Donn-a-cha (somebody told me this is a guta neodrach).

I would have thought the correct way would be paw-drig.
    Anybody able to give me something definitive on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I actually say Paw-drig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I'd say 60% of your friends are saying the name Páraic. It seems a common practice alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Is that an actual name? Or is it just a misspelling like Donnacha?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Is that an actual name?

Of course it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

/pɑːrɪk/ and /pɑːdrɪg/ are both attested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement