Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are there any sporting teams or individuals from 20, 30,40, 50years ago that could..

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭OldRio

those East German girls in the Athletics from the 80's still hold a lot of records

I wonder why😁

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

obby1 wrote: »
    1980's MIKE TYSON would wipe the floor with todays heavy weight boxers.

Iron Mike most overrated boxer in history plus todays heavyweights are way bigger than in his day ,

Can you name one fght that an opponent put it to Mike that Mike actually went on to win ?

Wasn't it Teddy Atlas (who trained him for a time ) who said Mike lost every fight he was ever in, Basically if he couldn't bully you he was done,

Schumacher
    Senna

Ali
    Tyson

Pele
    Maradonna

All would be great in any era.

Pele you must be taking the piss ,

Go look at tape of Pele,
    90% of the time he walked around the pitch as they all did in the his day, His go to move was a shake of the leg while standing still,

There was a documentary recently about the 1000 goals he clamed to have scored and most where playing non league games and charity games,
    Plus he played for one of the only pro teams in Brazil so they one weekly 9-0 or more,

Football has moved on so much now he wouldn't get a game in a championship team in his prime to say other wise is loving the romance of the game and not looking at it logically,

Compare video of him and his goals to Messi and its like a different sport,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Pele you must be taking the piss ,

Go look at tape of Pele,
    90% of the time he walked around the pitch as they all did in the his day, His go to move was a shake of the leg while standing still,

There was a documentary recently about the 1000 goals he clamed to have scored and most where playing non league games and charity games,
    Plus he played for one of the only pro teams in Brazil so they one weekly 9-0 or more,

Football has moved on so much now he wouldn't get a game in a championship team in his prime to say other wise is loving the romance of the game and not looking at it logically,

Compare video of him and his goals to Messi and its like a different sport,

I have to agree with the above.

Yes, Pele was good for his time. If Pele was around today, training using today's methods, he would be a gifted player.

But take Pele as he was then, and transplant him into a modern team, I doubt he'd be able to get by many players. All players are much faster now, including defenders. They would also have far more stamina than Pele would have had. A transplanted Pele from 1965 would probably be a liability in todays game.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I have to agree with the above.

Yes, Pele was good for his time. If Pele was around today, training using today's methods, he would be a gifted player.

But take Pele as he was then, and transplant him into a modern team, I doubt he'd be able to get by many players. All players are much faster now, including defenders. They would also have far more stamina than Pele would have had. A transplanted Pele from 1965 would probably be a liability in todays game.

He wouldn't play for a division one team if you took him as he was
    Honestly just look at the tape , the games is so different the skill level was laughable compared to today , athletic level not even comparable for hundreds of reason's

The pitches where shocking, balls heavy as hell and rules not enforced like today , Its basically a different sport impossible to compare players from Pele time to this and unfair on them to ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Auld lads love to imagine that the sporting heroes of their youth were tougher and stronger than the modern equivalents. The reality, of course, is that almost any athlete from 20-30 years ago in virtually every sport wouldn't have a hope against someone from today's era.

Footballers today start going to the gym at 15, the likes of Maradona probably only ever went to the gym to try to lose a stone before a major tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Auld lads love to imagine that the sporting heroes of their youth were tougher and stronger than the modern equivalents. The reality, of course, is that almost any athlete from 20-30 years ago in virtually every sport wouldn't have a hope against someone from today's era.

Footballers today start going to the gym at 15, the likes of Maradona probably only ever went to the gym to try to lose a stone before a major tournament.

People always fall back on the old Chopper Harris thing, that the big baddies of the past would kick todays player off the field.

Fact is, magically drop Ronaldo onto the field in the 1966 FA cup final or world cup final, and he would instantly be the fastest, fittest and most developed player on the field. I'm sure defenders would try to kick him, because damn sure they aren't keeping up with him in any other regard, but I suspect most of their time will be spent chasing shadows of a player they aren't fit enough or fast enough to catch.

On the flipside, drop Pele onto the field in this years FA cup final? Natural talent my ass, he wouldn't get a sniff of the ball, it would be 21 very fit and disciplined professionals and one daytripper, he would stick out like a sore thumb.

People always fall back on the old Chopper Harris thing, that the big baddies of the past would kick todays player off the field.

Fact is, magically drop Ronaldo onto the field in the 1966 FA cup final or world cup final, and he would instantly be the fastest, fittest and most developed player on the field. I'm sure defenders would try to kick him, because damn sure they aren't keeping up with him in any other regard, but I suspect most of their time will be spent chasing shadows of a player they aren't fit enough or fast enough to catch.

On the flipside, drop Pele onto the field in this years FA cup final? Natural talent my ass, he wouldn't get a sniff of the ball, it would be 21 very fit and disciplined professionals and one daytripper, he would stick out like a sore thumb.
    It's laughable, really. Maradona was a spent force at 31. Ronaldo is two years older than that and he's still tearing up the Italian league.

Whenever my kids ask about the best players of my era, I just tell them they were a joke compared to today and to appreciate the guys we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's laughable, really. Maradona was a spent force at 31. Ronaldo is two years older than that and he's still tearing up the Italian league.

Whenever my kids ask about the best players of my era, I just tell them they were a joke compared to today and to appreciate the guys we have now.

Drugs. Different types obviously but they're both at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

The big changes happened from the mid 90s to the early 2000s, aided by the massive money that appeared in the early 90s through Sky and the premiership rebranding. I always think of Ryan Giggs wheeling away with his shirt off after scoring that solo FA Cup goal against Arsenal, how scrawny he is compared to guys now. Someone already mentioned Wenger getting the Arsenal lads off the sauce in the late 90s. Donegal GAA were a crowd of party boys until Jim McGuinness. Dublin GAA dragged the entire sport into the modern era of training and nutrition.

Sports stars of any stripe nowadays are absolute beasts compared to even 15 or 20 years ago.

The legbreaker players of old wouldn't get within ten yards of Messi or Ronaldo 99% of the time. Granted, they'd only need to connect once.

And look at rugby... the physique of a 15 year old rugby player these days is a body type that quite literally didn't exist in teenagers 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Thinking more about the question in relation to Golf and the question of no significant progress.

There has been none.

The increase in prize money in Golf makes a potential career as a professional a very attractive prospect for talented players. With the more attractive financial aspect it has encouraged more talented players to take a shot in the Pro ranks. 30, 40, 50 years ago you would need to be a highly skilled golfer to even break even. For many brilliant golfer's a touring career stayed a dream. Top earners would have been the 1%. A successful used car salesman would have earned the equivalent of your middle of the pack tour Pro in the old day.s

There is this distance crisis in the modern game. Pro's hit the ball too far! etc. Being capable of carrying the ball 300 yards off the tee is no longer the outlier in the game it once was. You were a freak if you could do that in the persimmon/balata days. In the past decade, it has quickly become a necessity. With that as a pre-requisite comes a more capable pool of incoming young professionals for whom, with the aid of trackman radar, tailored equipment coupled with drive and desire them hitting 300+ yards is standard practice. For me that explains how 69 players now average over 300 in driving distance.

You win the Masters in 1988 and you got a cheque for $183,000. Win it now and you get $2 million. Quite an increase in 30 years. Gary Player once won $175,000 during a skins game in the early 80's. He was actually shaking with disbelief that he'd won so much money. It was more than he'd ever won in a single full season. A middle of the field tour pro can earn that for having a Logo on their hat today.

Per OP, Are there any sports where there has not been significant progress?

In 1948, Ben Hogan's scoring average was 69.30. In 2016, for all the discourse about technology and the ball, Dustin Johnson's scoring average was 69.17. A negligible improvement in 68 years. Statistically from a scoring perspective one could say there has been no significant progress at all. Of course there has been course lengthening, deeper rough, faster greens to mitigate the distance increases but the scoring averages align in the professional ranks. That correlation indicates that the changes to courses are now standardised, they have successfully made today's scoring averages align with historical tour averages.

The ball is actually standardised as well. Any new improvements can't breach a set speed off the clubface on the 'Iron Byron' machine. Clubheads themselves have by rule maximum coefficient of restitution i.e. trampoline effect which any new clubs cannot break in order to comply. That has lead manufacturers to produce clubs which increase forgiveness instead of raw distance which is prohibited. Whereas the long hitters of the past could bomb the ball far, there was the consoling idea that accuracy would be compromised. Today we see the top players hitting it long and accurate with more forgiving clubs. The Iron Bryon machine hit's the ball perfectly every time. With the attractiveness of prize money, with more and more motivated players fine tuning their game to hit the ball to closer and closer to that perfection, Golf today, is a game that a Pro or amateur from 50 years ago would be incredulous at yet their scorecards would be more or less the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Iron Mike most overrated boxer in history plus todays heavyweights are way bigger than in his day ,

Can you name one fght that an opponent put it to Mike that Mike actually went on to win ?

Wasn't it Teddy Atlas (who trained him for a time ) who said Mike lost every fight he was ever in, Basically if he couldn't bully you he was done,

indeed, even in his prime Tyson was afraid to fight 41-year-old Foreman

The Dublin footballers of the past decade have pushed the bar higher than any Gaelic football team ever. There must surely be very little room for improvement - further possible improvements in fitness, conditioning etc. must be limited.

Messi is by far and away the best footballer of all time from what I can see, watching plenty of football and looking at clips of him and others. Cristiano Ronaldo is the next best and after that Maradona, who was more naturally skilful than Ronaldo I would reckon but overall not as good. Those three are way ahead of anyone else. Would Maradona have been as good nowadays? It is hard to say. Were other players back then less good because they put in less work than modern players (who had to climb a steeper, fitter, more skilful, more highly conditioned pyramid of players to become a top-team professional)? Was Maradona carried by his skill back then or was he also as hard-working as players nowadays? Still, just something about the way he played suggests a near Messi-esque level of genius and I think he is one of the few pre-Zidane greats who would definitely be considered a great if he was playing nowadays.

Also, an aside: I think Ronaldinho is hugely over-rated and isn't in the same league as the all time greats. I think his status as a great is because he was one of the best players of the pre-Messi era around 2004-2006 when there was a dearth of real superstars in their prime (Zidane and Ronaldo 9 were past their best by then).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The Dublin footballers of the past decade have pushed the bar higher than any Gaelic football team ever. There must surely be very little room for improvement - further possible improvements in fitness, conditioning etc. must be limited.

Messi is by far and away the best footballer of all time from what I can see, watching plenty of football and looking at clips of him and others. Cristiano Ronaldo is the next best and after that Maradona, who was more naturally skilful than Ronaldo I would reckon but overall not as good. Those three are way ahead of anyone else. Would Maradona have been as good nowadays? It is hard to say. Were other players back then less good because they put in less work than modern players (who had to climb a steeper, fitter, more skilful, more highly conditioned pyramid of players to become a top-team professional)? Was Maradona carried by his skill back then or was he also as hard-working as players nowadays? Still, just something about the way he played suggests a near Messi-esque level of genius and I think he is one of the few pre-Zidane greats who would definitely be considered a great if he was playing nowadays.

Also, an aside: I think Ronaldinho is hugely over-rated and isn't in the same league as the all time greats. I think his status as a great is because he was one of the best players of the pre-Messi era around 2004-2006 when there was a dearth of real superstars in their prime (Zidane and Ronaldo 9 were past their best by then).

Yeah players that win 5 player of the year titles are vastly overrated. Left Madrid and they are now 5th.....**** he is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Sergey Bubka in the pole vault.

Bubka would have most likely have risen the World Record to much higher if he went all out to break the recond. Instead of nibbling away at it each time for the purse.

I say if Maradona was around now, he'll likely play more deeper. Probably a Modric style of player.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Man with a plan

Boxers /thread

Most top professional boxers of the past would absolutely destroy every weight division of today.

Boxers /thread

Most top professional boxers of the past would absolutely destroy every weight division of today.

The sweet science is fading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

In defence of Best there seems to be too much focus here on him past his prime (>26 or even earlier), if you do research on Best before he went off the rails he was an exceptional trainer both physical and skills so I'd be in no doubt he'd thrive today, there'd be less showboating but he'd still be a great player.

In defence of Best there seems to be too much focus here on him past his prime (>26 or even earlier), if you do research on Best before he went off the rails he was an exceptional trainer both physical and skills so I'd be in no doubt he'd thrive today, there'd be less showboating but he'd still be a great player.
    Turning up hungover. Yeah, exceptional trainer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I follow snooker more than darts and fully believe that under Hearn they have manipulated table conditions- thinner cloths, faster tables, bouncier cushions, generous pockets etc - to facilitate higher scoring and more centuries. Be amazed if he wasn’t doing something similar with darts.

Ronnie O'Sullivan called him out on it during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Players don't get away with that crap any more. Maybe it might be accepted once or twice but modern professionals don't get away with regularly turning up drunk/hungover.

If Best was subject to today's training regime he would be a very good player. If he wouldn't accept the rules that today's professionals abide by and constantly went missing or turned up hungover, then he wouldn't be a professional footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That didnt happen until his mid 20's. the post was referring to the period before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The kilkenny hurling team from 2006-2012 would beat teams from any era, incredible they were
    That`s really more of an argument in the other direction to be fair - some of those guys are still playing today I would imagine, so not really fitting the criteria. A bit like the great Spanish football team of around the same era.

Yeah players that win 5 player of the year titles are vastly overrated. Left Madrid and they are now 5th.....**** he is

He said Ronaldinho, not Ronaldo. ;)

I think Ronaldinho was unreal and capable of some things even Messi and Ronaldo arent, but his peak was too short and his overall output just wasnt quite on either of their levels. Then again more or less nobody in the history of the game can match the consistency of each of their outputs over the last dozen years.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Players don't get away with that crap any more. Maybe it might be accepted once or twice but modern professionals don't get away with regularly turning up drunk/hungover.

If Best was subject to today's training regime he would be a very good player. If he wouldn't accept the rules that today's professionals abide by and constantly went missing or turned up hungover, then he wouldn't be a professional footballer.
    That is the thing though - the likes of Pele, Maradona... all of them really, would probably excel today if they had the same advantage of training methods etc from young ages.

But without them, they would not. George Best would wind up like a Ravel Morrison, who had the smarts of Scholes and skills of Giggs according to pretty much all his coaches, and was seen as a better prospect than even Paul Pogba, but was a complete waster who is now at 25 in Lazio`s reserves with 8 appearances over 3.5 years and two loan spells in the English Championship and Mexican league.

Advertisement