Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Stander Up and Fight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

He's a very decent 10 for any side bar the very top sides.
    Okay.

*whispers* ...or the mid-table sides...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back, Tell a Friend
    Keatley is an excellent league 10, he's great cover for the international breaks but he just wasn't an international or even HEC 10 so he struggled in the big games, he has been a great servant though and deserves to get a few more years out of his career before calling it a day. In my opinion he's our third best 10 in the professional era after RoG and Warwick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Clareman wrote: »
    Keatley is an excellent league 10, he's great cover for the international breaks but he just wasn't an international or even HEC 10 so he struggled in the big games, he has been a great servant though and deserves to get a few more years out of his career before calling it a day. In my opinion he's our third best 10 in the professional era after RoG and Warwick

I think that says more about Munster's rotten luck when it comes to fly half than anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back, Tell a Friend
    troyzer wrote: »
    I think that says more about Munster's rotten luck when it comes to fly half than anything.

Either that or the great luck we had with RoG, he played 16 seasons and was very rarely injured.

Clareman wrote: »

Either that or the great luck we had with RoG, he played 16 seasons and was very rarely injured.

Yeah. But it was also 16 seasons and not a single decent replacement developed in that time.

I can't put that down to Munster being crap, that's just really unfortunate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeah. But it was also 16 seasons and not a single decent replacement developed in that time.

I think that's a little bit harsh on Keatley. I don't think he would have been with Munster for so long if he wasn't rated.

Eod100 wrote: »

I think that's a little bit harsh on Keatley. I don't think he would have been with Munster for so long if he wasn't rated.

That article doing the rounds on Munster's squad shows that they have form on letting sub par players languish on the roster for years.

Eod100 wrote: »
    We have been looking for stability and consistency at 10 (and centre)for a good few years - JJ; RS + TB - who was hired as a centre - were all hoped to be a solution. Joey is only here a few months and is far from settled or perfect, yet Keatley has been effectively dropped after 5 years of having the position unopposed. That's not coincidence or a vendetta against IK.

The cracks were there all along. We were unfortunate in that our other options at 10 didn't work out for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

John Hayes Ligind
    Defunkd wrote: »
    We have been looking for stability and consistency at 10 (and centre)for a good few years - JJ; RS + TB - who was hired as a centre - were all hoped to be a solution. Joey is only here a few months and is far from settled or perfect, yet Keatley has been effectively dropped after 5 years of having the position unopposed. That's not coincidence or a vendetta against IK.

The cracks were there all along. We were unfortunate in that our other options at 10 didn't work out for whatever reason.

Bleyendaal was definitely brought in as a 10, he was a highly rated fly half who had awful luck with injuries. It’s only recently he’s started playing at 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 MOLF Hunter

Bleyendaal was definitely brought in as a 10, he was a highly rated fly half who had awful luck with injuries. It’s only recently he’s started playing at 12.

He was brought in as a 12 alright...with a nod and a wink to the rule that if 1 province had a NIQ player in a certain position, the other provinces couldn't bring in another NIQ in the same position... thankfully that stance was relaxed in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tyler was signed as a centre in much the same way as Howlett was signed as a full back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    I'll disagree with you all day long about him meriting a 3 year contract because it has shown to be a poor decision

Monday morning quarterback-ing here, to borrow an Eddie O'Sullivan-ism.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A new born king to see POM POM POM POM POM
    I'm disappointed at how his time in Munster went too but i was never a fan of his. The 3 year contract he is finishing shouldn't have been given to him imo. Whatever way people want to dress it up, he's going as backup cover to an Italian club; that's a clear indication of his market value.

Perhaps the 3 year contract was the price Benetton had to pay to get Keatley in the first place. We also don't know if there are clauses to end the deal early.

Perhaps the 3 year contract was the price Benetton had to pay to get Keatley in the first place. We also don't know if there are clauses to end the deal early.
    His contract ends in June and Treviso are signing him in Aug(?), so they're not buying him out or poaching him. Munster don't hold any player against his will (J Coughlan) so i doubt IK was tied-in too strongly: i can't see it being a big money contract either.

What i have read from Treviso's coach is that IK is being brought in as cover for the WC, as one to offer guidance for the younger players in the squad and someone who has prior experience in HC. His versatility at 12/15 is an added bonus. That was an edited article so maybe he said more...

I wasn't suggesting Benetton bought him out from Munster. I'm saying they may have needed to offer a 3 year contract to get the player to sign.

I find it odd that the contract length hasn't been mentioned, not even by Treviso.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Stander Up and Fight
    I wasn't suggesting Benetton bought him out from Munster. I'm saying they may have needed to offer a 3 year contract to get the player to sign.

Crossed wires there Thomond. He was referring to Keatley's current munster contract and saying that shouldn't have been given to him. (was that a 3 year one though? Thought it was 2.)

kuang1 wrote: »
    Crossed wires there Thomond. He was referring to Keatley's current munster contract and saying that shouldn't have been given to him. (was that a 3 year one though? Thought it was 2.)

Ah oops.

It was a two year contract alright. At the time Keatley was second choice so I can't really fault Munster for awarding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It's a giggle, I'm sure no one is going to be too sensitive...I'll only keep it for a wee while ;)

Are you sirius?

stephen_n wrote: »

Are you sirius?

You're giving me a Boner

• Advertisement

POM fit to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    POM fit to play!

Injection and some good strapping in order. No doubt someone is going to "lean" on him with their knee at the bottom of a ruck to make sure his ribs are definitely ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Very light on wing cover, happy otherwise than that

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Tommy O’Donnell, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, Tyler Bleyendaal, Dan Goggin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

leakyboots wrote: »
    Very light on wing cover, happy otherwise than that

Goggin can cover there if necessary. I presume it's a straight shootout between him and Sweetnam, and his form edges it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Goggin can cover there if necessary. I presume it's a straight shootout between him and Sweetnam, and his form edges it.

I wonder would we be more likely to see Haley moving to the wing, Tyler coming on and Joey moving to FB? It'd seem a more natural fit, but it's a lot of switches.

With the RWC coming up, wonder will TB get a 1year extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

John Hayes Ligind
    Eod100 wrote:
    With the RWC coming up, wonder will TB get a 1year extension?

I'd rather he wasn't, we've JJ and Johnston and Healy is highly rated in the academy so he'd only be taking game time from them.
    He'd command a healthy salary in England or France so he may want a fresh start.

case885 wrote: »
    I'd rather he wasn't, we've JJ and Johnston and Healy is highly rated in the academy so he'd only be taking game time from them.
    He'd command a healthy salary in England or France so he may want a fresh start.

Johnston still quite inexperienced. Could be wrong but as he started any Pro14 games? Think if JJ got injured again, we'd be in a bit of a pickle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

John Hayes Ligind
    POM was always going to feature, nothing was surer.

It could get interesting if he aggravates it this weekend and is ruled out of the Ireland game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement