Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Here is what I specifically asked the poster for:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108528746&postcount=9662

And here is his/her response accepting there was no 'special legislation' covering this as they had implied.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108529211&postcount=9709

You couldn't be any more wrong here, but I suspect you won't apologise and will double down again.

your missing two things francie

the reply saying what actually happens in reality in such cases

and

your bots :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

BBFAN wrote: »
    What are you on about?

Probably this.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Question for ya. How does having an issue or a critique of Travellers and/or their culture make you right wing? Answer that.

I voted YES in the SSM referendum. I voted to REPEAL the 8th. I also voted for Casey. It's not a hive mind. There's no pigeon hole. Your comparison is way off and only gives ammo to the very people you're trying to discredit.

Care to address the response I put to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

mynamejeff wrote: »
    your missing two things francie

the reply saying what actually happens in reality in such cases

It doesn't happen in all cases and was already covered when I ACCEPTED what he said and replied 'that is the fault of those who adminster the law'. The law is there for everyone. There are no special laws for travellers governing this.

You are so wrong and so unable to accept you are. A true Caseyite. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Question for ya. How does having an issue or a critique of Travellers and/or their culture make you right wing? Answer that.

I voted YES in the SSM referendum. I voted to REPEAL the 8th. I also voted for Casey. It's not a hive mind. There's no pigeon hole. Your comparison is way off and only gives ammo to the very people you're trying to discredit.

Fair question. Maybe right wing is the wrong choice of words although I think you'll find quite a lot of people posting here are right wing.

As I've said I agree with what he said about travellers but I still don't understand why that made people vote for him. What difference do they actually think it's going to make??

Question for you. Do you really think he gives 2 fcuks about he rural family who are terrorised or the people who get up in the morning for work? Do you really think that he will do anything to help the plight of these people? If not, why vote for him?

If it's simply to make your voice heard it's a really childish approach to an election in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fair question. Maybe right wing is the wrong choice of words although I think you'll find quite a lot of people posting here are right wing.

As I've said I agree with what he said about travellers but I still don't understand why that made people vote for him. What difference do they actually think it's going to make??

Question for you. Do you really think he gives 2 fcuks about he rural family who are terrorised or the people who get up in the morning for work? Do you really think that he will do anything to help the plight of these people? If not, why vote for him?

If it's simply to make your voice heard it's a really childish approach to an election in my view.

Nobody I know is all 'left wing' or all 'right wing'.
    You can be either about certain issues.

• Advertisement

sorry mate your on the ignore list
    your post shows up as

The irony of those complaining about not having free speech blocking people who disagree with them. :D:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭shady acres

The irony of those complaining about not having free speech blocking people who disagree with them. :D:D:D:D
    lol you must be new here

Also O'Mackeral, I have no problem with people having an issue with travellers. Personally I've never had any bad experience with them and a few good ones but I do know that some of them are complete assholes.

But it is completely out of proportion with real life here on boards. Moderators have actually had to put a stop to threads about travellers because there were so many of them.

It's an obsession, and not a healthy one. It's almost as if they're the only group left that people can get away with generalising about and discriminating against so they go mental on it.

Not aiming that at you by the way because I genuinely don't believe you feel that way.

Fair question. Maybe right wing is the wrong choice of words

People have opinions. If they happen to vote for a certain candidate, it doesn't automatically place them into a neat box of being right wing because you think it suits a narrative. This is a major problem nowadays I think. Basically, if you don't agree with me on a given subject, you're on the baddie side, end of story. I'm glad you see that's a poor attitude to have.

I'll have a read of the rest of your post now and respond in kind.

Also O'Mackeral, I have no problem with people having an issue with travellers. Personally I've never had any bad experience with them and a few good ones but I do know that some of them are complete assholes.

But it is completely out of proportion with real life here on boards. Moderators have actually had to put a stop to threads about travellers because there were so many of them.

It's an obsession, and not a healthy one.

I I I I me me me
    why are liberals so egotistical
    you're not the centre of the univers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Its a democracy..if you want to make your voice heard you vote. And people did.
    What difference would it have made if they have voted for the other candidates? Not an iota either.
    At least voting for Casey sends out a signal that the middle class are tired of being hammered left right and center on taxes while the travelling community get a free ride.
    The whole Margaret Cash fiasco really helped his case as well...I doubt he would have gotten half the votes if she hasn't been on all the papers the past few weeks looking for her free house.
    When you look at the areas where he got a high portion of the votes its no coincidence its in areas where there's a high population of travellers. I wonder why that is? And its nothing to do with racism.

lol you must be new here

Oh so I'm not blocked? You just made that **** up to appear funny? :rolleyes:

Blazer wrote: »
    Its a democracy..if you want to make your voice heard you vote. And people did.
    What difference would it have made if they have voted for the other candidates? Not an iota either.
    At least voting for Casey sends out a signal that the middle class are tired of being hammered left right and center on taxes while the travelling community get a free ride.
    The whole Margaret Cash fiasco really helped his case as well...I doubt he would have gotten half the votes if she hasn't been on all the papers the past few weeks looking for her free house.
    When you look at the areas where he got a high portion of the votes its no coincidence its in areas where there's a high population of travellers. I wonder why that is? And its nothing to do with racism.

You see this is it. Lefties get accused of "virtue signalling" cause that's one of the buzz phrases nowadays (as is leftie and liberal) but Casey voters are now saying this was a signal?

Hilarious, as I said.

I I I I me me me
    why are liberals so egotistical
    you're not the centre of the univers

Oh because I express my own view rather than state that my view is that of the majority. Gas.

People have opinions. If they happen to vote for a certain candidate, it doesn't automatically place them into a neat box of being right wing because you think it suits a narrative. This is a major problem nowadays I think. Basically, if you don't agree with me on a given subject, you're on the baddie side, end of story. I'm glad you see that's a poor attitude to have.

I'll have a read of the rest of your post now and respond in kind.

I look forward to your reply.

As has been said on here multiple times, for many it was a protest vote. They felt that a) MDH had it in the bag anyway and it wouldn't affect the outcome so they could safely rise up b) they maybe felt the other candidates were a bit liberal with the truth and Casey wasn't and finally c) the disgrace that was the Taoiseach of the day attempting to influence voters. A variety of reasons really.
    Question for you. Do you really think he gives 2 fcuks about he rural family who are terrorised or the people who get up in the morning for work? Do you really think that he will do anything to help the plight of these people?

I'd say 98% of people give plenty of fcuks about families being terrorised, surely to god that's a given?

Em, that's kinda the whole point of having an election and having a vote, to have your voice legitimately heard.

lol you must be new here

I look forward to your reply.

why did ryan tubridy cross the road
    to get his half million quid from the working families of ireland

said the actress to the bishop

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

tretorn wrote: »
    I cant tell you how Ms Cash is walking around and helping her self to clothes without paying for them, its very lax of Penneys security staff to let anyone walk out the door with three hundred euros worth of clothes but there you go.
    It would appear that maybe travellers who commit more serious crimes than relieving stores of hundreds of euros worth of clothes are in prison. I cant help you anymore. Maybe if you put in a freedom of information request you can find out the proportion of travellers who are in jail and what they are there for.

Can one of these new snowflakised wanker media companies do a 'fact check' on the logistics to rob €300 worth of goods from Penneys?

• Advertisement

• tretorn wrote: »
    If the people living in leafy Foxrock had roving traveller gangs breaking down their doors at 2 AM in the morning you can bet your life Leo would take action.

He can put his money where his mouth is now and instruct Fine Gael TDS to stop blocking the local authority from building a halting site at Mount Anville. There are proposals to build a halting site on the John of Gods land in Stillorgan and Leo can push for progress on that too. RTE have sold a big parcel of land in Donnybrook and it would make an ideal location fora halting site, a nicer place to live you wouldnt find in a month of Sundays.

There is plenty of room in the Phoenix Park for a couple of ten bay halting sites and the advantage of this would be plenty of room for travellers horses. They could be put either adjoining Michael Ds property or else up beside Farmleigh. Isnt Michael D on record as saying he wouldnt have a problem with a halting site, well there you go Michael.

Leo can bring the visiting dignitaries to be wined and dined at our expense up in Farmleigh and I am sure the French and German and Italians politicans would love a tour of the ethic minorities ethnic halting sites, they just better be careful they arent bitten by dogs, the ethnic minority have a bad reputation with animal welfare and I doubt if there are licences for the multitude of dogs they have.

Yet, off the top of my head the fire on a halting site where 10 Travellers died in 2015 was very close to Foxrock, on Glenamuck Road. There's also a halting site near the junction of Leopardstown Road & Brewery Road. And there's one right on the sea between Blackrock Park & Booterstown Park. It's not true to imply the area is free of such sites.

Moreover, I'm not sure if many taxpayers would think it wise for a government to give a site or homes in an expensive area over to any form of social/Traveller housing when for the same cost far more people could be housed in a cheaper area.

As has been said on here multiple times, for many it was a protest vote. They felt that a) MDH had it in the bag anyway and it wouldn't affect the outcome so they could safely rise up b) they maybe felt the other candidates were a bit liberal with the truth and Casey wasn't and finally c) the disgrace that was the Taoiseach of the day attempting to influence voters. A variety of reasons really.

I'd say 98% of people give plenty of fcuks about families being terrorised, surely to god that's a given?

Em, that's kinda the whole point of having an election and having a vote, to have your voice legitimately heard.

I would dispute your 98% figure, think you're optimistic there about people's altruistic attitudes. I would argue a quite sizable percentage of people don't care about anyone but themselves.

More so in the case of Peter Casey who doesn't live in Ireland, doesn't pay taxes in Ireland and would have known nothing about the houses in Tipperary except he went to Tipperary Council looking for a nomination.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the protest vote view. Personally I think it's a childish thing to do. I only ever vote for someone I believe in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

Casey is a bit of poltical clown. It goes to show how easy it is for someone so ignorant to swing a big amount of votes in a short space of time.

Its how Hotler and Trump got into power even though they where/are politicaly inept.

The real issues of this country is how the banks and past governments etc ****ed us over and got away scott free. Travellers are the least of my worries.

We will still be paying USC and PRD if ypur public service in 20 years time and whos fault is that. That's the real issue thats being ignored by faux outrage at a handfull of travellers who havent moved into a handfull of houses.

Time to wake up Ireland and smell the ****ing
    chesnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

Casey is a bit of poltical clown. It goes to show how easy it is for someone so ignorant to swing a big amount of votes in a short space of time.

Its how Hitler and Trump got into power even though they where/are politicaly inept.

The real issues of this country is how the banks and past governments etc ****ed us over and got away scott free. Travellers are the least of my worries.

We will still be paying USC and PRD if your public service in 20 years time and whos fault is that. That's the real issue thats being ignored by faux outrage at a handfull of travellers who havent moved into a handfull of houses.

chesnuts.

You see this is it. Lefties get accused of "virtue signalling" cause that's one of the buzz phrases nowadays (as is leftie and liberal) but Casey voters are now saying this was a signal?

Hilarious, as I said.

one sec while I mute your dumbass posts...

ah that's better..now I see === === = == = =
    makes more sense to me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hilarious, as I said.

Is that actually a reply to that post you quoted?
    If it is then it's one of the poorest on this thread.

somebody should start a new thread

Its how Hitler and Trump got into power even though they where/are politicaly inept.

We will still be paying USC and PRD if your public service in 20 years time and whos fault is that. That's the real issue thats being ignored by faux outrage at a handfull of travellers who havent moved into a handfull of houses.

chesnuts.

and don't forget the 20 billion or so on welfare. Which is increasing every year. I suppose we just ignore that too?

It's an obsession, and not a healthy one. It's almost as if they're the only group left that people can get away with generalising about and discriminating against so they go mental on it.

Not aiming that at you by the way because I genuinely don't believe you feel that way.

The thing is, when you talk proportions you're about to do a disservice to Travellers. 50% of inmates in Castlerea Prison are Travellers or settled Travellers. They make up a very very disproportionate slice of the prison population overvall vs the general population.

The idea that they're feared and distrusted by a lot of people didn't conjure up from nowhere. They've a bad reputation. Why is that?

I've said before on here that I would treat anyone man,woman or child with the utmost respect until they give me a reason not to. That's regardless of colour, creed or faith. In fact, I work with Travellers every day that I clock in to work, for 12 hours a day. I have some fantastic craic with Travellers and some of them are amongst the most funny and good natured fellas I encounter. On a personal level, I enjoy their company tbh. However, it's a jail I work in and they aren't there via special invite.

• Advertisement

I must point out I do agree with this in a sense. A lot of people don't seem to care if you call them knackers and other derogatory names and I absolutely fcuking despise that. I've said as much on here for years. I hate it. There's no need for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement