Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Medical Intern jobs 2020

• 05-02-2020 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Currently trying to whittle down the jobs list and was hoping there might be some advice from current/previous interns and their experience working in specific hospitals. I'm mainly looking at Tallaght, James, Mater, Vincents and possibly Galway.

For a change of scenery I'm tempted to head west to Galway, but I'm just wondering what the intern teaching is like there and if it's possibly more advantageous to remain in a large Dublin hospital in the long run?

Any thoughts are welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭RoamingDoc

It may be better to rank where you're familiar with (and where will your friends and family (+ other support networks ) be based etc).

I wouldn't worry too much about formal intern teaching per se as the bulk of the learning for the year is experiential.

The location of your internship won't have any bearing on your career long term. The obvious stuff like time-keeping, management, organisation, being easy to work with, etc. is what specialty training programmes are looking for.

You're very likely to end up moving back to Dublin for SHO years etc. so it may be nice to get the year away to meet more people etc. but I'd always advise to try to go to the easiest place for non-work matters and the rest will sort itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Previous Galway surgical intern here. Absolutely loved it. Would go back in a heartbeat. Great atmosphere, great city, great culture. Really enjoyed the teams I worked with and learned a lot. Structured intern teaching is pretty good as well, if I can remember I think it was 2 or 3 lunchtime teaching sessions per week, often delivered by consultants. But don't get too worked up about intern teaching, most of the time you're doing admin work and when you're on call, thats when you'll do most of your learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

Does anyone have any information about intern parking in st Vincent’s? Never had any dealings with them before

Does anyone have any information about intern parking in st Vincent’s? Never had any dealings with them before

• Registered Users Posts: 10 flombie

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still on the fence regarding Dublin vs Galway... Dublin is marginally in the lead, but definitely think quality of life in Galway would possibly be nicer for the year.

My main concern is whether going to Galway could potentially go against me down the line when applying for schemes/heading to Australia etc? Or is this just pure ignorance (?snobbery) on my behalf?!

Also, if I do head to Galway, I'd be hoping for the 12 months in UCH galway.. Any idea how competitive these spots are - I'm currently on track for a solid 2:1.

If anyone has any info RE James/Mater/Tallaght I'd be very grateful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Where you do your internship will have zero bearing on applying to schemes/Australia. Go where your friends are/where is handy for you to live/a job you like.

lozenges wrote: »
    Where you do your internship will have zero bearing on applying to schemes/Australia. Go where your friends are/where is handy for you to live/a job you like.

This. 100% this.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

flombie wrote: »

My main concern is whether going to Galway could potentially go against me down the line when applying for schemes/heading to Australia etc? Or is this just pure ignorance (?snobbery) on my behalf?!

Absolutely 0% difference. Noone gives a sh1t what you did your internship in or where you did it. At the end of the day, you'll mostly be doing admin work. And just so you know, they standard of teaching or doctors isn't any better or worse in the Dublin hospitals. So it'd be good to get rid of that snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 flombie

Point taken, just trying to gather information before I make a decision. No disrespect was meant towards Galway, I just genuinely don't know much about the hospital. Appreciate that it will all become irrelevant down the line..

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

To be fair these things are obvious in retrospect, but might not be so much at the time.

If you're dying to get onto a particular scheme, get involved in a research project/ do an audit/go to the conferences of that specialty.

But mostly - relax and try to enjoy it!

• Advertisement

Schemes absolutely won't care - they'll just check that you've completed the year.
    Outside of Ireland, people won't really know all that much anyway. A lot of places will have heard of Dublin but that doesn't confer any advantage. For example, I wouldn't care if someone worked in Berlin or a smaller German city, as I'd be judging them on other factors.
    Also, if I do head to Galway, I'd be hoping for the 12 months in UCH galway.. Any idea how competitive these spots are - I'm currently on track for a solid 2:1.

I'm led to believe these are very hard to get, the system is really designed to try to give most the benefit of seeing the more "rural" hospitals too.
    Keep in mind that even if you went for Dublin, you'd be very likely to go to Navan or Wexford etc. too so getting out of the city is highly likely no matter where you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lobgaps

Currently trying to whittle down the jobs list and was hoping there might be some advice from current/previous interns and their experience working in specific hospitals. I'm mainly looking at Tallaght, James, Mater, Vincents and possibly Galway.

For a change of scenery I'm tempted to head west to Galway, but I'm just wondering what the intern teaching is like there and if it's possibly more advantageous to remain in a large Dublin hospital in the long run?

Any thoughts are welcome!

hello, just wondering how you got on with you choice & if youve any insight into Galway for intern year?
    I'll be making my decisions this time next year, but will all the buzz of students the year ahead in final year making their decisions now its sent me thinking about what I'd like.

w lockdown in dublin I'm especially feeling attracted to head west. I think i'll inevitably end up there anyway in the long term (but likely do a year or two in Aus/NZ post intern year) - thus is it worth staying put in Dublin til after that / or might it be worth getting a flavour of hospital work in galway & making connections there for intern year.

any advice / experiences much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

lobgaps wrote: »
    hello, just wondering how you got on with you choice & if youve any insight into Galway for intern year?
    I'll be making my decisions this time next year, but will all the buzz of students the year ahead in final year making their decisions now its sent me thinking about what I'd like.

w lockdown in dublin I'm especially feeling attracted to head west. I think i'll inevitably end up there anyway in the long term (but likely do a year or two in Aus/NZ post intern year) - thus is it worth staying put in Dublin til after that / or might it be worth getting a flavour of hospital work in galway & making connections there for intern year.

any advice / experiences much appreciated

I did my internship in Galway 6 years ago now. I had a great time there. It's a brilliant city to live in. Essentially almost all Intern jobs involve the doing more or less the same work. The differences are the level of busyness, hours you work and people that you work with. Unless you have a very specific idea of what you want to do then it really doesn't matter what or where you do your internship in. Go someplace that will make you happy to live for a year. Particularly if your friends are going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JonHendo

Hey everyone,

I'm a mature entry student in TCD who received his place through the CAO portal and I am an Irish citizen.

What tier am I placed in when it comes to internship allocations for medicine?

Thanks!

JonHendo wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I'm a mature entry student in TCD who received his place through the CAO portal and I am an Irish citizen.

What tier am I placed in when it comes to internship allocations for medicine?

Thanks!

From my understanding, since you received your offer through the CAO portal, you will be in the first tier of applicants.

Taken from the HBS information for 2021 -

"All applicants for intern posts who accepted a place in an Irish medical school through a CAO offer will be allocated to posts ahead of applicants who accepted an Irish medical school place directly from the medical school."

Advertisement