Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why aren't there more strong Dublin accents in the media?

• 20-09-2020 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭

It seems to me that Joe Duffy is the only well-known broadcaster in Ireland with what could be considered a strong Dublin accent. Why do a lot of Dublin broadcasters have neutral or posh accents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

It seems to me that Joe Duffy is the only well-known broadcaster in Ireland with what could be considered a strong Dublin accent. Why do a lot of Dublin broadcasters have neutral or posh accents?

What's a 'posh' accent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

or Kerry accents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

Gavin McLoughlin. Business reporter for Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

KaneToad wrote: »
    What's a 'posh' accent?

They can pronounce thirty three and a third properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Cause 1 is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They pronounce things so very different to us normal folk....

Garda sounds like gawda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The gore thee.

Actually... There was a fellah presentin prime time there last week or the week before that sounded like a proper taxi droiver pal, yeah?

Because they need to be understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

Sky King wrote: »
    The gore thee.

Actually... There was a fellah presentin prime time there last week or the week before that sounded like a proper taxi droiver pal, yeah?

Yeah, I was going to say same, young guy last week on Primetime. He was very good + accent wasn't over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Neutral accents are easily understood regardless of where you're from.

That's why I don't understand RTE's weird pronunciation of certain words - ishshew, tishhew, ngoooordee, Portleash-ha etc. It doesn't sound posh, more like the presenter is seeing the word for the first time and having at bash at saying it.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna guess they haven't pursued careers in media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

They can pronounce thirty three and a third properly?

They can't really. They make it sound like thorty, three and a thord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

RWCNT wrote: »
    They can't really. They make it sound like thorty, three and a thord.

Still better than tirty tree and a turd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Plenty of Dubs acting in the crime dramas. Gritty realism?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

Neutral accents are easily understood regardless of where you're from.

That's why I don't understand RTE's weird pronunciation of certain words - ishshew, tishhew, ngoooordee, Portleash-ha etc. It doesn't sound posh, more like the presenter is seeing the word for the first time and having at bash at saying it.

This drives me f$$k mad. Should be pronounced Port Leash + Dunne Leary not poxy Port leash haaaa+ Dun Lear aaaaaa

It does my head in. Nobody frorm Portlaoise or Dun Laoghaire pronounce it the way rte does so what are they at?

There you go rant over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

"A Jaysus howaya! I'm(generic garrison town name/wayne) and this is the six wan news"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

'Cos nobody will understand them!!!

Same way you don't have any strong accents from any county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The best is a kinda posh accent with a kinda traditional Dublin accent. I speak kinda posh for some words but other words I sound like Brendan Behan. I pronounce the u in words in a 'true' Dublin way but I also pronounce burger with an exaggerated u sound and words like nice come out like noice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's like bbc radio, most presenters on BBC radio 4 have middle class accents or a slight regional accent.
    I think it's hard to get a job as a presenter if you have a working class accent.
    It's not just rte radio most radio djs have a middle class accent see classics hits, 102 fm etc if they have a country accent it's a mild accent.
    I think all presenters in RTE go to university, they tend to all come from a middle class background.
    You can have a strong rural accent if you are a gaa, sports commentator.
    I think Joe Duffy is a one off.
    Equality is a myth. See the weather or news presenters on tv, they are well dressed and slim, they look similar,
    I can't see Joe Duffy getting his own show on rte radio if he was starting off now.
    If you have a certain accent you simply
    won't get offered a job on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

riclad wrote: »
    It's like bbc radio, most presenters on BBC radio 4 have middle class accents or a slight regional accent.
    I think it's hard to get a job as a presenter if you have a working class accent.
    It's not just rte radio most radio djs have a middle class accent see classics hits, 102 fm etc if they have a country accent it's a mild accent.
    I think all presenters in RTE go to university, they tend to all come from a middle class background.
    You can have a strong rural accent if you are a gaa, sports commentator.
    I think Joe Duffy is a one off.
    Equality is a myth. See the weather or news presenters on tv, they are well dressed and slim, they look similar,
    I can't see Joe Duffy getting his own show on rte radio if he was starting off now.
    If you have a certain accent you simply
    won't get offered a job on radio.
    I don't think anyone has any trouble understanding Joe Duffy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Laura woods drives me up the wall for this very reason, she used to have a somewhat ok accent but it’s getting posher and posher as the years go on, her voice always comes out as incredible fake, the accents is caught between forced D4 and then normal neutral Dub.. can’t listen to her anymore for this reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

depends on the nipple

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

A combination of class and education.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

They save them all for Fair City. Sure Leo or Harry Molloy would be wasted on rubbish like 6 one or as host of the late late show.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

drybastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Still better than tirty tree and a turd.
    I say like ...thorsssy ...three and a thorddsss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

His callers on the otherhand...

Snobbery basically is the reason.

There should be more.

• Advertisement