Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Following this thread, I've a ferry crossing from Pembroke to Rosslare early next week and wouldn't mind being kept up to date

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Not much change from NHC advisory 13 just a slightly further west forecast track coming towards Ireland.
    At 500 AM AST (0900 UTC), the center of Hurricane Ophelia was
    located near latitude 30.3 North, longitude 35.6 West. Ophelia is
    moving toward the northeast near 3 mph (6 km/h). This general
    motion is expected today, followed a by faster motion toward the
    east-northeast or northeast on Friday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 85 mph (140 km/h) with higher
    gusts. Some slight strengthening is possible over the next day or
    two.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 25 miles (35 km) from the
    center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 70 miles
    (110 km).

The estimated minimum central pressure is 986 mb (29.12 inches).

Cureently 1,165km South West of the Azores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Way to early to be calling anything . Personally I'll only get excited if it's showing this strength on Sat afternoon. Even Met can wait till Then before warnings are needed . Then I'll start thinking a road trip

I can already picture the post mortem arguments here on Tuesday after we end up with a typical windy day..

Potential is clearly there for a major storm but as you say it's far too early to talk of battening down the hatches. Yesterday evenings ECMWF was a worst case scenario, this mornings runs are either further west or less severe so nothing worth getting worried about yet.

Certainly an interesting one to watch evolve at least, this is the first time in a long long time I've been watching each model run as it rolls out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

I think many including mysled got over excited yesterday with the charts.The general feeling today is that it will be normal autumn gales on the west coast. And very mild. Panic over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Pulled a bit west on the GFS run

gfs-0-108.png?6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Apologies for question,I'm flying to isle of man on mon Oct 16 on one of those propeller planes, with this storm due that day, do you reckon flight will go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I've been looking at the NHC's five day cones for years with fascination, it's a very different feeling when the cone is aimed at us!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think it will be pulled out further to the W and NW but only surmising.

Itll only start moving up Saturday with the strong airflow from the HP

I think the HP will keep it out in the Atlantic.

Normally these storms only become issues when theres a jet to our South.

Ill be wrong of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Apologies for question,I'm flying to isle of man on mon Oct 16 on one of those propeller planes, with this storm due that day, do you reckon flight will go ahead?

Largely depends on the "crosswind" component, or to put it plainly, whether the wind is blowing straight along the runway, and if not, how far of centre it is. Different aircraft and companies have varying limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

What’s the storm surge potential with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Any idea of what kind of rainfall amounts would be expected with this (I know its a long way away yet!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest track.

al172017.17101200.gif

RubyK wrote: »
    Any idea of what kind of rainfall amounts would be expected with this (I know its a long way away yet!)?

Not much. The rain looks like it will probably be confined mostly to the west of the centre, so out over the sea, and with the storm's fast movement it will not hang around enough to dump much water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Cork City tidal barrier ruled out on cost basis

They might change their mind if this storm makes landfall just to the west of Cork during high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jimmy 3 times

Largely depends on the "crosswind" component, or to put it plainly, whether the wind is blowing straight along the runway, and if not, how far of centre it is. Different aircraft and companies have varying limits.

How do you think Aerlingus might decide in this situation? Flying in from mainland Europe at about 6 Monday evening. Might be better off not flying out in the 1st place!

Latest LGEM forecast has the following winds at these locations:

MON 06Z 48.9N 12.8W 57 KT
    MON 18Z 54.1N 10.0W 44 KT

So decreasing from 57 to 44 knots as it reaches around Belmullet. The distance between the two points is 609 km, so it will be moving up the west coast at an average speed of around 50 kph during Monday.

Latest satellite representations.

Visible,
    20171012.1115.goes13.x.vis1km_high.17LOPHELIA.75kts-986mb-302N-357W.100pc.jpg

SSMIS 37 GHz (0926Z, shows lower structure),
    20171012.0926.f17.x.37h.17LOPHELIA.75kts-986mb-302N-357W.89pc.jpg

85 GHz (0926Z, shows upper structure)
    20171012.0926.f17.x.91hw.17LOPHELIA.75kts-986mb-302N-357W.87pc.jpg

SSMIS Multisensor (0926Z)
    20171012.0926.f17.x.composite.17LOPHELIA.75kts-986mb-302N-357W.84pc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Met Eireann forecaster Liz Walsh told Independent.ie: "It is coming towards Ireland, basically the hurricane is south-west of the Azores right now and it is tracking towards Portugal.

"As it comes north over the weekend it will change into an extra-tropical cyclone and it is tracking towards Ireland and the UK.

"It does look like it will hit Ireland on Monday, heading into Tuesday will be very stormy days."

She said that Met Eireann has predicted gusts in "excess of 120kph

She said: "At the moment this is more of a wind event than a rain event but of course the possibility of heavy rainfall with an extra-tropical cyclone cannot be ruled out."

Independent.ie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

ME forecast on RTE 1 has just mentioned Monday as "being worth keeping an eye on the forecasts, with significant weather warnings likely to be issued for strong winds".

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

GFS ensemble boxplot chart.

aal17_2017101206_eps_track_gefs_boxplot_late.png

Current windfield

2017AL17_MPSATWND_201710121200_SWHR.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Will they give this storm one of the North Atlantic names, or will this keep it's current name?

It wont be renamed,it will be known as Ex- hurricane Ophelia

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

GFS has been consistently off-mark for these predictions so I'd be focusing on ECM tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Yellow "Weather Advisory" issued by Met Éireann
    STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Ireland

A combination of a vigorous Atlantic weather system and the remnants of Hurricane Ophelia will pass close to Ireland on Monday, and has the potential to be a high-impact event in parts of the country. There is a lot of uncertainty as to the exact evolution and movement of this weather system during the coming four days, but storm-force winds, outbreaks of heavy rain, and very high seas are threatened. Met Éireann will maintain a close watch on the evolution and issue further advisories and warnings as these are warranted.
    Issued:
    Thursday 12 October 2017 14:00
    Valid:
    Thursday 12 October 2017 14:05 to Tuesday 17 October 2017 06:00

https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asphttps://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

Rougies wrote: »

High impact event, a term met eireann rarely use...

Just a Slight bit of egg on Joanna's face...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I was hoping Ophelia would dump a load of rain over Galicia as we really badly need it, especially here in the south. Doesn't look like she will though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

High impact event, a term met eireann rarely use...

Just a Slight bit of egg on Joanna's face...

Only a yellow warning though?

pilly wrote: »
    Only a yellow warning though?

It's not a warning,more an advisory for now,Weather advisory's are yellow by default,given we are four days out,they want to bring it to the public's attention first before issuing any warning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all,
    If this does hit Ireland, will it be worse than Storm Desmond?

Advertisement