Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

weadick wrote: »
    Remember there was a couple of lads from Cobh who set up an actual campaign to bring U2 back to Cork, I think it was around the time of Vertigo, they were called Electricco as far as i recall. I remember talking to one of them before who actually met Bono and mentioned it to him to which he replied 'where's the venue?'!

Where's the cash more like...
    The Raptor wrote: »
    Garth was of course being greedy. Its why he turned down 3 gigs. He could have earned himself more than half of what he was meant to get.

Why Tampa, Florida also got cancelled. There was a scheduling conflict at the venue. He could have played two nights there. But he couldn't play one night because of the scheduling conflict, so he didn't play any of them, I think it was 3 nights over there. He didn't want to disappoint anyone. Dublin wasn't any different.

Wish people would stop turning it around onto him. The fault was very much on our side. Those tickets shouldn't have been sold. Not for Croke Park considering the promotors and the council knew about the issues with the locals. They knew there was going to be a backlash.

Dublin city manager even said it himself. The second time the tickets went on sale, they were consulted before they went on sale and he said it himself that he didn't have a problem but there may be some objections.
    Fortyjocks wrote: »
    In fairness he should have honoured the 3 gigs he had the go ahead for given originally only two went on sale. People who had tickets, hotels, flights etc for those shows should not have been let down, it was the artist who let those people down & it left a sour taste! Comparing the gigs to picking between his kids was a bit much. lets hope any similar farce is avoided with the remaining 2017 Croke Park gigs whoever is lined up for them.
    The Raptor wrote: »
    Completely agree. He should have done the three. It was outside issues that was out of his control.

Still doesn't make him greedy for wanting it to be fair. You don't sell tickets and cancel on them. That was very much our fault.

Also, they hadn't an issue leading up to the concerts, safety tests were being passed, etc, etc. To pull the plug at the last minute was stupid. The concerts themselves weren't an issue, so I can see why he would be pissed off that two were cancelled.

How it ended up about this plonker is beyond me, take it to the relevant thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Birneybau wrote: »
    Where's the cash more like...

How it ended up about this plonker is beyond me, take it to the relevant thread.

To be fair I was stating exactly what happened when rubadub wanted to say how greedy that plonker was. They said 9 events were permitted in 2014. 9 including 2 concerts per day.

Except there never was a license for those two in one day. The council said they would consider it based on an updated event management plan. None of it worked out, so they never allowed 9 events that year. They did allow 7.

rubadub wrote: »
    Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me saying U2 are more likely to get "special treatment". I doubt Bertie would have stuck his nose in if it had been the stereophonics (who headlined slane the year after).

Though you are trying to be smart/sarcastic, you are correct, this was proof of his greed. They were claiming doing just 3 concerts was not economically viable.

I very much doubt they would have made a loss, just not made as much as he would liked to have make, so rather than do that he disappoints all those fans. He took a risk to make more money and lost, and all those fans lost due to his greed too.

he did though, I can't believe the crap he was spouting at the time, making it out like it was "Sophie's choice" and dragging his dead mother into it, disgusting shameful behaviour. This backfired on him very badly though, since to save face he had to stick to his ultimatum, trying to blackmail/threaten the authorities into allowing it.

Do you seriously not think GB knew about issues with the locals?!, do you really think nobody in his camp would have been aware and not told him?!?

The issues U2 had when they had 3 gigs was all over the media, there was huge backlash from residents. As a causal gig goer I was amazed they were planning so many gigs, as I was well aware of the supposed 3 gig limit, before it was being said all over the new again. People in the actual concert industry would have been very much aware. In the early stages of planning for this they were told again of the limits.

He certainly knew of the risk he was taking and so is very much amongst those "at fault".

Yep, so he took the chance knowing fine well the risk. Pure chancer as I was saying.

Do you not think it was the promotors fault for allowing it. It was them that knew what was going on with the locals. Aiken would have surely have known after 2009. Sure the council even said it to them when tickets went on sale for Garth Brooks.

Or do all acts research what's going around in the locality of each place they play? But then based on the last time, gig goers should have researched about local issues as well.

When did anyone think they want a ticket but before they get into an online queue, they better research the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

http://u2chile.net/web/rumor-anuncio-del-tour-2017-enero/

translate to English on your browser

Live Nation and U2 are expected to announce a new tour on Monday 9th Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

——————————————————————————————

U2 will play in Barcelona again next July

Barcelona is once again the only Spanish city chosen by the Irish band to offer their new show. Until the next Monday, when the official tour announcement will take place, just a few details are known. In a message that the group posted on social networks on Christmas Day, the band announced that 2017 would be a great year for U2 with the release of the high anticipated "Songs of Experience" and the 30th anniversary of "The Joshua Tree.” Last part of the message gave hope to U2 fans around the world ... "with some very special shows".

From that moment, rumors and speculations were on fire. Everything seems to indicate that the tour will adopt the "format stadiums" and that it will start in the United States in May and will continue through the old continent in July. It is unknown the number of shows, the cities, how the show is going to be, ….. As we say, the official announcement will take place next Monday January 9th as U2Chile and the always reliable american website @U2 mentioned yesterday. We have been known that the announcement will indeed be on the 9th around noon (Spanish time) to coincide with the morning in North America.

Regarding the USA tour, @U2 mentions that there will also be a show at the Pasadena Rosebowl on May 20th. Weeks ago rumours talked about the Bonnaroo Festival.

About the European tour and in particular about U2's visit to our country, there have been attempts to bring the group to Madrid and/or Barcelona in the last few months. Vicente Calderón Stadium option has been on the street, but never the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium. Finally and for reasons that we do not know today, Barcelona has once again been the chosen one. The Irish group will perform at the Olympic Stadium in Montjuich in the first half of July 2017, almost 20 years after their only concert in that venue.

From other European countries we get reliable information about shows in Rome and Berlin, a single concert with option to a second night depending on ticket sales. This will probably be the tour schedule: Just a few cities with a couple of shows each.

This new concert of U2 in Barcelona will become the twelfth meeting of the Irish band with the city.

If we listen to the rumors and remember what happened on the i + e tour, tickets for the tour would go on sale almost immediately after the announcement, possibly throughout the same week.

We are just 3 days left for that official announcement and we will then know all the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,098 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Olympic Stadium is the smaller of the two in Barcelona. Wonder would it be a Landsdowne/Pairc ui Caoimh job.

Mushy wrote: »
    Olympic Stadium is the smaller of the two in Barcelona. Wonder would it be a Landsdowne/Pairc ui Caoimh job.

Hopefully an Irish newspaper might leak the dates the weekend, if there is too be Irish shows. It's looking like a European tour in July

I hope us Irish are not left out of Monday's announcement like the I&E tour and our shows get announced later in the year

If July is the month. It will probably be in Croke Park. There's often concerts in late July.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hopefully an Irish newspaper might leak the dates the weekend, if there is too be Irish shows. It's looking like a European tour in July

I hope us Irish are not left out of Monday's announcement like the I&E tour and our shows get announced later in the year

The only reason Ireland wasn't included in the original I+E tour announcement was they didn't think there was enough space for the stage setup in the Point. Didn't they have to tinker with the setup to fit it in? Wouldn't be an issue for a stadium show though.

Ill be annoyed if they skip Ireland and just played big markets like Barcelona, , Rome, Berlin, Paris, London, Toronto, New York, LA etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They won't skip Ireland. A lot of the album is about Ireland. 
    Also they've never skipped Ireland on a tour and they never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Seen some more rumors of Mumford and sons supporting on the US leg and Noel Gallagher for Europe

Graham1978 wrote: »
    Seen some more rumors of Mumford and sons supporting on the US leg and Noel Gallagher for Europe
    Sweet Jesus

The Nal wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus

Quite like those support bands. Obv NG will be supporting them here

ATM its Looking like No Garth Brooks Irish shows (well in CP anyway) and no Oasis reunion for 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Ill be annoyed if they skip Ireland and just played big markets like Barcelona, , Rome, Berlin, Paris, London, Toronto, New York, LA etc

On the flip side, might be a nice option to see them abroad, make a nice break :D

On the flip side, might be a nice option to see them abroad, make a nice break :D

I'm going too London to see Guns N Roses in June so can't afford a u2 trip too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I'm going too London to see Guns N Roses in June so can't afford a u2 trip too

Nice one, i was half thinking of heading Rock Werchter in June and that would make a heavy dent in my plans as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

bring back to the banks of the new Pairc Ui Franc in Leeside, would be an ideal opener!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭weadick

ballbag05 wrote: »
    bring back to the banks of the new Pairc Ui Franc in Leeside, would be an ideal opener!!!

Should be a push for this to happen, would be great for the city and its not like they dont have close ties with Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

weadick wrote: »
    Should be a push for this to happen, would be great for the city and its not like they dont have close ties with Cork.

It would be great but this U2 are a very different entity to the one that played there in 1993.
    Its all about money now I'm afraid and its much easier to play 3 nights in Croke Park than move the stage down to Cork .

Will the stadium even be finished for next summer ?
    It would appeal to the band though if they were the first band to play there on its reopening ,it would be something special.

I will never forget that night in 93,the band were at the peak of their powers then .

It does seem a strange time of the year to announce a tour .
    People must be drained dry from all the events cynically put on sale in the build up to Christmas.

I'm guessing the tour announcement will initially be a few dates ,mostly US ,and more will be added over the coming weeks/months.
    I hope tickets aren't too steep ,the prices for the last indoor tour were very high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Exciting times. As much as I enjoyed the last tour, I hope they go someway back to their old skool setups. Zoo tv/Popmart setups perfect. Atmosphere is way better when the whole crowd are focusing in one direction. This "in the round" setup confuses matters IMO.

Cut out a lot of the crap and just rock the hell out (for the Joshua tree shows anyway). Getting goosebumps just thinking about seeing songs like Exit live.

It would be great but this U2 are a very different entity to the one that played there in 1993.
    Its all about money now I'm afraid and its much easier to play 3 nights in Croke Park than move the stage down to Cork .

Will the stadium even be finished for next summer ?
    It would appeal to the band though if they were the first band to play there on its reopening ,it would be something special.

I will never forget that night in 93,the band were at the peak of their powers then .

It does seem a strange time of the year to announce a tour .
    People must be drained dry from all the events cynically put on sale in the build up to Christmas.

I'm guessing the tour announcement will initially be a few dates ,mostly US ,and more will be added over the coming weeks/months.
    I hope tickets aren't too steep ,the prices for the last indoor tour were very high.

The stadium is due to open mid June, so if it's a July tour it will be available. Saw Bruce and the ESB in the old stadium in 2013 and it was good (even though the stadium and area around it was a death trap)

Hope the full tour is announced at once and we're not left waiting for Irish dates TBA

The tour might be announced next Monday but tickets might not go on sale till the end of Jan. Garth Brooks announced the cursed 2014 CP shows mid January 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭weadick

I wonder is it worth taking out a subscriber subscription on u2.com? I was going to hold off until they decided what the 'free' gift was going to be. The last time they played croke park there wasnt even huge demand if I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I'm wondering the same. I'd imagine if you want one, you should get one for an innocence and experience stadium show.

But a Joshua Tree themed special will be like gold dust.

If you can split the membership among friends, it's a no brainer. Usually they only cover 2 tickets though.

Last time around they got me tickets for Amsterdam and Dublin, 2 each gig.

I'm wondering the same. I'd imagine if you want one, you should get one for an innocence and experience stadium show.

But a Joshua Tree themed special will be like gold dust.

If you can split the membership among friends, it's a no brainer. Usually they only cover 2 tickets though.

Last time around they got me tickets for Amsterdam and Dublin, 2 each gig.

I signed up the night they announced the Irish I&E shows and was told by a member of u2.com staff i would not receive a code as I joined up too late but I got emailed a code and got 2 tickets in the presale. I renewed last September til sep 2017 (€50) and I got send a few limited edition posters as a free gift and I got a one off 40% off u2 store coupon too

It's worth joining just for the ticket pre sale

Tickets will be like golddust for the Irish shows of its a Joshua tree anniversary show. Hopefully I pick up a ticket when they go on sale

Really hoping that the new album doesn't sound like The Killers/Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

I would hope that the Joshua Tree anniversary shows would be separate from the main tour. Maybe use them as warm up shows for the main tour in smaller venues like 'Elevate the Astoria' in 2001

Leinster hurling finals takes place on the 2nd July and the next game there is not taking place til the 16th July. Coldplay of course play there on Sat 8th July

The 2 u2 shows could possibly take place on the following dates 4/5 July or 12/13 July. Possibly Fri/Sat 21/22 July as the stadium is booked solid every weekend from the 29th July with matches

Please please don't be the 16/17 or 18th June as I'm in London

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Wooderson

U2 in good form at the moment. Last record their best since ATYCLB and the tour best since Pop. Keen as mustard for news on Monday.

• Advertisement

Wooderson wrote: »
    U2 in good form at the moment. Last record their best since ATYCLB and the tour best since Pop. Keen as mustard for news on Monday.

Have a feeling it may be just Usa dates been announced Monday and the Europe and Irish dates will be announced some other time

Still the announcement been on Monday is only rumour though and there's nothing official about
    It

If Croke Park dates were been announced Monday than the Irish media would of got wind of it and Aiken would have a 'watch this space/Big gig news' thing on there facebook/twitter

Advertisement