Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trick or treaters and those who dont partake in it

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Any other newly adopted American customs you feel we should all observe.

You think trick or treat in Ireland is new American inspired custom?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

laugh wrote: »

Yup,

Yup,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

A group of cars just pulled up outside our house, unloaded tonnes of kids and cleaned us out in the first run. Alot of them not from anywhere close by but mammy and daddy bringing them around to get a bigger haul.

Yup,

It's a tradition in Britain and Ireland going back to the 16th century. It went to the the US and didn't come from there.

• Advertisement

It's a tradition in Britain and Ireland going back to the 16th century. It went to the the US and didn't come from there.

They had polyester witches costumes and Maoam bumper bags in 16th century Ireland?

endacl wrote: »
    If it can't be avoided, simply give out apples and nuts. They won't be back next year.

Carefully unwrap Ferero Roche', replaced with brussel sprouts, re wrap, BINGO!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If we were still 'helping the Halloween party', I'd be all for it.

Home made outfits, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

They had polyester witches costumes and Maoam bumper bags in 16th century Ireland?

Speaking as an old-ish fart, the decorating houses stuff is a US import < a decade old but dressed-up kids going round the local houses collecting food is very old, older than me, older than polyester costumes...
    Afair It was never called trick-or-treating other than on US films (aka "movies") when I was a child (if you had called it that you'd probably have been mocked), so suppose that's relatively new too. (edit - see above)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Wasn't that long ago when a bin bag and a 20p plastic mask was all that was needed for Halloween. There was none of this doing up your house nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

jonny24ie wrote: »
    A group of cars just pulled up outside our house, unloaded tonnes of kids and cleaned us out in the first run. Alot of them not from anywhere close by but mammy and daddy bringing them around to get a bigger haul.

We got that too. I thinks it's very greedy. Most kids in our estate will be out early, at least the younger ones will be so we don't bother answering the door after 7 ish. We were still getting calls after 10 PM

Eh no the costumes reflect what's available and affordable, but people have been going door to door on Halloween in this country for centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Wizard! wrote: »
    I am from Greece. We do not have Halloween, but we have a similar custom on Christmas eve and New Years eve. Kids knock on our doors, singing songs accompanied by tubular bells. In older days we used to give them homemade traditional treats, nowadays most of us giving cash

This might be why Greece's economy is f*cked, by the way.

Eh no the costumes reflect what's available and affordable, but people have been going door to door on Halloween in this country for centuries.

They must be tired now so.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Speaking as an old-ish fart, the decorating houses stuff is a US import < a decade old but dressed-up kids going round the local houses collecting food is very old, older than me, older than polyester costumes...
    Afair It was never called trick-or-treating other than on US films (aka "movies") when I was a child (if you had called it that you'd probably have been mocked), so suppose that's relatively new too. (edit - see above)

What did you call it? We used to call it "shelling out". "Shell out, shell out, the witches are out".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

allibastor wrote: »
    It is a bit if you have no decorations up at all!!!
    I had no decorations up, but I did have pig's heads dripping with gore on stakes in the front garden & no kids called :eek: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

When did decorating your house fro HAlloween start? I don't remember it at all when I was a kid? It seems to be a relatively recent phenomenon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gw80

I think some Irish people would want to look into their own culture a bit more,
    Halloween was celebrated in Ireland in pagan times, fires were lit to ward off the coming winter, a much more natural event to celebrate for Northern Europeans than some Middle eastern ideology, ( not much in the way of seasons in the ME).
    It was hijacked and supplanted by Christianity (a foreign and unnatural ideology) and a good job they did too, sad really

Now see what ye have done, you got me all reeled upI'm gona have to get naked and smear myself in my own **** and shout at the moon

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

They didn't have Christmas trees, Santa and turkey dinners on the 25th of December either but they and we still celebrate Christmas. The minutiae of celebrations change but Halloween is very much a holiday that originated in Ireland and has been celebrated here ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

Well decorations is one thing - I wouldn't expect anyone to decorate their house, but yeah, if you're sending your kids round houses, you should open your door to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I can remember decorating the house for Halloween as a child - cobwebs, black balloons and paper skeletons. We always carved pumpkins too. Lots of houses in my area did it. This would have been mid 1980s onwards.

A house in the area now does their garden like a graveyard. It has gravestones, hands coming out of the ground, disembodied heads... all sorts. I like it but they seem to put it out earlier every year.

Costumes were always home made. Bin bags, plastic masks or face paint and an empty plastic Quinnsworth bag for your sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

That's a Christmas thing. Be starting soon I'd say, there was a good revival of it around here for a few years but tailing off again

I'm getting my festivities mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Valentina wrote: »
    I can remember decorating the house for Halloween as a child - cobwebs, black balloons and paper skeletons. We always carved pumpkins too. Lots of houses in my area did it. This would have been mid 1980s onwards.

A house in the area now does their garden like a graveyard. It has gravestones, hands coming out of the ground, disembodied heads... all sorts. I like it but they seem to put it out earlier every year.

Costumes were always home made. Bin bags, plastic masks or face paint and an empty plastic Quinnsworth bag for your sweets.

When I was quite small I went up to my nans place for a few nights. Parents completely forgot it was Halloween so my Nan not wanting me to feel left out made me a costume.

A pair of tights over my head and some black clothes.

Calling to doors and saying I was "A Mugger" in hindsight seems a bit ridiculous :D

Got loads of stuff though !

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

We live in a lovely estate where the committee organised a little 'street' party for the kids. This meant the kids trick or treated before 7pm and meant there were no callers after that time as they were all dancing to spooky music and bobbing for apples etc. It was really nice.
    I put a pumpkin outside and a glow in the dark skeleton on our door so the kids would know to knock. I loved seeing all the costumes.
    Then the committee organised fireworks in the middle of the estate when all the kids were done dancing and playing etc. It was all over and done withy 10pm and there was really no disruption at all. It was lovely for the kids and great for us too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

So my son who is an older teenager, he hasn't had an easy time of late. He made a brilliant costume and did it all himself. Everybody was blown away by his costume and we had great fun with his younger siblings calling at houses.

Then one auld fella said what are you doing calling at doors? You're too old to be doing this. This fecker knocked him back terribly. And my son wanted to go home, no life in him.

I don't know why I'm writing this, just venting.

Advertisement